Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi R's and RA's are the exhaust bends the same

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 05:35 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Fitted a Scoobysport BB to my STi5 RA today, all went on no probs, took off the stock STi BB.

Trouble is when i drive it as soon as I lift the clutch to pull away it knocks and vibrates on something, checking under the car its not touching anything anywhere, I can wiggle it side to side and it's not knocking.

There's nothing on the diff that's different on these cars is there?, wondering if there's extra gadgitry under the car due to the diff control that could have something to do with it?

I'm cheesed off as i'm going to have to take it off at this rate, can't drive it like that Same as it sounds the knackers
Old 18 January 2003, 05:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

no difference.

type rs and ras have a larger rear diff than normal classics but thats about it.

some exhausts dont clear them out of the box and you will get knocking. Try moving the thing vertically.

in your position I would go to an exhaust fitter and get them to look at it on the ramps, they can easily bend the sections etc whilst on the car.

ian @ hayward and scott has done this for me several times even when I wasnt using their exhausts. Just slip him a few quid! nice guy.
Old 18 January 2003, 05:57 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers, I'll take it to a local fitter tomorrow, I don't really want to have to take it off as it does souns ver nice

Old 18 January 2003, 07:39 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have a look at the front bracket that gets bolted to the car by/under the gearbox and front diff. If these brackets do not connect exactly and there is a gap, it puts the bolt under strain which is transmitted to the gearbox causing a clunking noise when pulling away in low gear.
If this is the cause of your problem it is easily fixed by spot welding a new bracket on the downpipe that precisely meets the bracket on the car. Any good exhaust fitter will be able to do this for you preferably with a TIG stainless weld.