Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2002, 02:07 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Wonder if i could get any feedback on this,have my99 with Pirelli P Zeros 205/45 x17s all round.They will need changing in the near future although still have fair tread at present.
Over the last week or so i seem to have attracted an extra dose of pr***s driving up my **** wanting to race.Normally i cant be arsed and let them go by thinking theyre cool,this past week ive changed mood and had a play with them all and the scoobys victorious on all counts.
Each count has been in the drissly or damp greasy conditions and round the local twisty tree lined roads where my car just doesnt grip from the front but goes straight on.The only bonus is that most of my other cars have been rear wheel drive and used to hang the back out.Im surviving these bends more by booting the car in mid turn on boost and turning the car through the bends more like a rear wheel drive car.
Are all scoobys prone to this or are there some better gripping tyres out there for the wet conditions as Pirellis are the only ones ive used so far and dont fancy replacing with them again when they wear out.
Regards
Gene
Old 28 November 2002, 03:23 PM
Ricky81 STi
Scooby Regular

The Scoobys do understeer a bit. I have an STi V5 and it does understeer slightly in the wet but not too much, recently I have fitted two new Goodyear Eagal F1 GSD-3's and they have made an amazing difference. Worth thinking about.
Old 28 November 2002, 04:10 PM
grant620
Scooby Regular

I believe this understeer can be tweaked out?
Speak to PowerStation or Graham Goode, etc. I think they all do the ProDrive set up mods.

WRT tyres, the P-Zero is a very good tyre, but consider the Toyo Proxes T1-S.

Cheers
Grant
Old 28 November 2002, 05:20 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Cheers,
Maybe its me expecting to much then if they all do it,or perhaps im too used to the car now and need to go back into another car and compare how it feels in slippy conditions in a two wheel drive.
Will start looking around to get some prices on the other tyre makes.
Gene
Old 28 November 2002, 06:39 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Pirelli P zeros are ****, in the wet. In the dry they are a good tyre, but are hopeless on the wet or greasy bits. I keep a set as wet tyres for the track, they're not quick but they are a giggle - on the track where you have space to catch any moments.....

The long lamented Goodyear S02 PP was the best tyre out there but they've stopped making them. S03 not as good. Toyo proxes not bad and comparatively cheap - got them on my P1 now- and I've heard goodish things about the F1's. Still don't understand why the S02 has gone however.
Old 28 November 2002, 07:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

FatBoy,
i take it you mean Bridgestone
But yes the SO2 PP was one of the best tyres you could get for a scoob

Tony
Old 01 December 2002, 12:42 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Previously had a Rover 216 SLI with Dunlop SP2000 on, very iffy in the damp/wet, particularly here in Swindon as we've got a number of roundabouts where the tarmac seems to be polished! Switched to Goodyear Eagle F1's - you would not believe the transformation. I was like I'd had 4wd fitted. Only criticism is that the shoulders wore down faster that the previous brand, but then that might be down to it being a softer compound - therefore better in the wet. And I used to drive it like a c**t! I will be switching to these when my Potenzas have had it on the Scooby.