Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ive broken a pipe. holy crap, this is going to cost me.

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2002, 12:28 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

in my wisdom whilst fooiling around in my engine bay (not that kind of fooling around, else itd be a hip id broken at my age, not a pipe) and ive broken the pretty major looking blackj plasticky pipe that runs from under the intercooler and joins the turbo, with a branch off it that feed the dump valve. the bit that broken is this dump valve branch. its made of plastic, which frankly is a rubbish idea, and i cvant be the first person to have broken one (though im prepared to bet i am). anyone know what this pipe is called, where i can get another, and how many vital oragns im going to have to flog to replace it? failing that, can it be fixed?

anything anyone could suggest would be appreciated.

thanks,
matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:33 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

You can get a Samco replacement I think. But they ain't cheap to be honest. I'm still trying to figure out why Subaru used them cheap plastic for it. I think I might have split mine (touch wood) too.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:39 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

You'll find a replacement here. About 45 quidish upwards depending on the model.

hose kits

[Edited by marty_t3 - 11/30/2002 12:41:05 AM]
Old 30 November 2002, 12:44 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Yup, still not cheap.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:49 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

thanks boys, good t o know im not the only insomniac in the world (thats cant sleep at night, not 'do it with dead bodies'). not sure were talking about the same bit though are we? this is more of a pipe than a hose, about an inch in diameter and hard mottled plastic. if we are on the same bit, and lets face it your brighter than i am (after all, a smart man would leave well alone in the first place)wots it called so i can order it?

also, was just reading one oif your threads katane, you should have gone to the lectures about ancient engines cos the ones about rudolf diesel were really interesting. i know i just said that diesel was interesting, but im prepared to take the backlash, thats how good they were. of course, this was three years ago, history might of cahnged since then. its not like it was in my day.plus, RD was an eccentric genius, and there frankly after enough of them in engineering lectures.

thanks again boys.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:55 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Just back from the pub mate?

LOL
Old 30 November 2002, 12:55 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I think we're on about the same pipe. Runs from under the cooler to the turbo.

From what i've read on here you will need to cut the original pipe and use the original intercooler end. The samco pipe fits onto it. The samco bit should have the dump valve branch on it. I'd check with someone whose replaced thiers to make sure this is the case though.

Trending Topics

Old 30 November 2002, 12:59 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hehe I know but its like studying ancient 8088 (right before 286) computer with its whooping 1 Mb hard drive. I'm too used to turbocharged and EFI stuff now that I can't seem to find any interest in the older stuff. I know I should as it *might* come out in the exams.

But I think its my mother in law passing away 2 weeks ago that did it for me to be honest. I had to sort out a lot of things regarding the funeral (which was on thursday) as not only was she my mother in law, but a good friend of mine too. Knew her before I met up with the missus.

Anyway, to sort this problem with the cheapo plastic thing breaking, I'm opting for the FMIC option in the beginning of next year. Its either gonna be the APS or the Apexi one which are both in the same price region (1k'ish).

Old 30 November 2002, 01:00 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

okay, thats great ill try that in the morning. look out for a post this time tommorow that reads 'help ive lost three fingers down my turbo trying to cut down a pipe with a kitchen knife'. thanks again boys.

and, no sadly, im not just back from the pub. my spelling is just crap, and i go on like this all day long. i think im funny, but my missus (and everyone i know for that matter) assures me im not. I think they may have a point, though if pressed i would deny it.

mmm..pub.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:10 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

hey, sorry to hear about your mother in law Katana, thats really rough. Ill keep my chin up for you mate until you feel a bit more like doing it yourself. Feel better soon.

really dont know how you get the money for fmic's and stuff: when i was studying it was all i could do to just keep myself in crack cocaine and chablis, not to mention top class hoo-ares.

ta again for all the late night advice everyone, you realise that its the likes of us that keeps granada men and motors on the air?

matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:14 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Nah I'm okay about it now honest. As for how I got the money, its mostly from my savings when I was working. Forgot to mention that I'm one of them mature student.

ps, and my daughter might have to miss out on her christmas present this year so her daddy can have a few more extra horses. joke.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:15 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh well, just thought you'd had a few cos of the two posts almost exactly the same and the way you went off on a tangent talking about diesels . I know I usually end up writing a load of stuff nothing to do with the post after a good bevvy (wait and see tomorrow night )

Back on subject, deffo sounds like turbo pipe beneath the I/C, those are notoriously crap on standard turbos and are replaced by proper boost hoses on STi models and the PPP package. Would be well worth replacing them with uprated parts when you've got the I/C out.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:21 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

good for you mate. whenever i told anyone that i was a 'mature student' people took great pride in telling me that wa a contradiction in terms. whatever that means. if its maths, i think i must have been away that day, off sick with a cubic foot.

i can see their point though: in fairness though i have got a childs face. the problem is he wants it back.

right enough of the crap gags now, my missus is getting suspicious that im not in fact watching **** and that im sneakily talking about 'that f*cking car' again. might be time to turn in, before she revokes my computer privelliges.

night all.
Matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:25 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks paul, know wot you mean about the tangents. the worst part is this is me keeping a tight lid on the tangents. dear oh dear.

ill keep an eye out for the quality of your tangents when they come up, and we can start an obscure war, with points for getting off the point quickest. you never know,it could be the next monopoly. at laest that would make all my 'jail time' more enjoyable.

Matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:29 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Matt,

What year is your car ?? Its simple to replace with SAMCO. I got mine from Rally Design. They are the cheapest. I needed the 2 hose kit pre 97 and cost me £26.10 + VAT + p&p. Use GGR website to ID which kit you require. As you compare prices you'll find between £10-£20 difference between companies. Hope this is sorted soon m8.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:31 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

thanks caz, youre a genius. now thats sorted, id better set about breaking something else!

thanks again matey,
matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:35 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

View Previous thread regarding the cutting of the rigid existing intercooler flanged pipe.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:37 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

As you can see Matt, a bit of a swat when it comes to Turbo to intercooler pipe. Between Sept-Oct that pipe must have been on & off more times than Sam Fox's bra in the eighties . God its giving me nightmares just thinking of it. I hope Rally Design have these back in stock again.
Old 30 November 2002, 01:46 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

swots are always welcome caz. im glad you mentioned it, its a great help. its always good to know that youre not the only one to break something, i bloody hate being the founder of new levels of destruction, as does my sponsor, mr. Visa.

also, thanks for bringing sam fox to mind shortly before bedtime. ironically most of her singles have now probably been melted down and made into samco hoses, so you might have been accurate than you thought. and lets face it, its a powerful image.

i dont suppose you can hear your dump valve humming 'touch me, i wanna feel your body' now can you? now that i would pay good money for. that, and knockers of my own.

thanks again mate.
matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 02:14 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Wink

Singles, I was thinking more of Silicone

BTW I didn't break any pipes or intercooler. It was actually my turbo in the end. Had to replace it once I'd found some impellor blades were damaged. Fitting SAMCO pays dividends in the end, higher temp resistance & pressure.
Old 30 November 2002, 03:19 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

i have a Complete plastic hose if you want it??
£10??
Just fitted FMIC so not needed...
Rob
Old 30 November 2002, 11:45 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

thats great. ill mail you when i get back from work.

thanks rob.
matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 04:17 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Matt, If I were you, I'd get the SAMCO hoses. Those plastic pipes are sh!te. An extra £20 gets you top quality silicone hoses, ie none that snap whilst tinkering under the bonnet
Old 30 November 2002, 04:41 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

yeah, i think you might be right caz. and with my luck/ curse ill only get it back on give the last jubilee clip one last lucky turn, 'just to be sure', and hear it snap again. im gonna see wot i can get hold of then make my decision from there.

thanks again for all your help lads,
matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 11:01 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

You dont mention what year car you got?
I've got one taken from my 02WRX when I had the Samco hoses fitted.
You can have it if you want and I dont want paying!

Let me know if you do and I'll post it off to you on Monday.

If you want the Samco hoses I was able to get them quite cheap, I can check the price out again if you want, just need to know what model/year its for.

Bob
Old 01 December 2002, 01:26 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

that sounds great, thanks mate.ive got a 94 (L reg)wrx. would you mind sending me out the plastic pipe so that i can use the car until a replacement could be sorted? im happy to pay postage.

thanks again,
matt.
Old 01 December 2002, 02:30 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Matt,

The pipe being offered to you doesn't fit your car. There are big differences between the 1994 intercooler pipework and the 2002 pipework. This will not help you at all.
Old 01 December 2002, 12:23 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

as a wise man once said, d'oh. samco/ samfox it is then. thanks for the advice caz, its a big help. id have only spent half the day trying to fit the wrong pipe, just to break something else more expensive. wrxbob says he can get the samco jobbies on the cheap too, so im gonna hang on and see wot he can come up with.

thanks lads.

matt.