Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Link and ECUTek Owners Required

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 08:41 PM
gjohn9
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for some help from owners of Link and ECUTek ECUs. In exchange I'll give you a free copy of the data log analysis software that you'll be helping develop - it should be ready for beta testing by the end of this month.

You need to be quite knowledgeable in both the ECU and data logging from it as I'm going to be asking some pretty technical questions!

The software is based on the existing very successful Miata Link Lab (http://www.miatalinklab.com) product and allows various highly useful graphs to be plotted in a very flexible manner...but most importantly it generates accurate power graphs - in the Miata community they are typically within 5hp on 200-300hp cars. You get your own dyno that accurately reflects every tiny tuning tweak you make!

If you fancy something for free please contact me at support@miatalinklab.com

Thanks for your time.

Glenn
Old 13 November 2002, 08:44 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, well, I did this some months ago with excel, it's hardly rocket science. About the only response I got was "my torque doesn't" fluctate like that. SHould be fine though if you log less parameters to keep the sample rate high.

And for those already with excel (most people) it doesn't cost $94.95. But the graphs look nice.

Paul

[Edited by Pavlo - 11/13/2002 8:46:07 PM]
Old 13 November 2002, 08:51 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Not so technically minded but if I can help for something useful why not - MY00 with lot of mods.
Cheers
JIM
Old 13 November 2002, 09:16 PM
gjohn9
Scooby Newbie

Hi Pavlo.

Target price for this product is around 50USD. Miata Link Lab's power is ease of use and meaningful presentation of data - both characteristics that'll be in this product too! I'm constantly surprised by the glowing praise that comes in from MLL's customers - the product must be doing something right (I'm not on an ego trip just constantly surprised!)

You're right - the power graphs aren't rocket science, but packaging them with the analysis software makes a great combination. Here's a link to a power graph I recently generated using the software from my car - the software's analysis and curve smoothing routines really come into their own. The comparison graphs show the results of a minor fuelling and tweak. The graph was saved directly out of the application.

http://www.btinternet.com/~glenn.johnson/FuellingTweak.gif

Glenn
Old 14 November 2002, 10:31 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Old 14 November 2002, 10:34 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

I take it you used the RPM and gearing/tyre info? The delta-dash info has big jumps in the speed as it has 4km/h accuracy or something.

$50 US is a sensible amount, just for the sake of simplicity.

Paul
Old 14 November 2002, 01:53 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

Hmm
The version v5- in the link computer has datalogging as standard,
so isn´t the only diff that you can get powergraf´s an ingear times?.

Skassa.
Old 14 November 2002, 02:40 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

It doesn't really do anything you can't do yourself, I think, but the thing it, it has, so you don't need to bother doing all the setting up...
Sounds like it might be quite handy for those of us who are excessively lazy
Old 14 November 2002, 02:48 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

How does it generate power graphs?

Matt
Old 14 November 2002, 03:46 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Power to accelerate is combination of mass, and aero drag, both of which are easy to calculate.

measure the difference in speed between 2 successive loging points, note time difference, with an easy calc you have a linear acceleration. You know the speed at any given logged point, from which you can calculate the aero drag. Total wheel torque will be that required to overcome aero drag AND accelerate at the calculated (from logs) rate.

You can then add a predetermined graph for transmission drag to get flywheel HP (from a previous RR power run for instance) or if you log a coast down from speed, in gear with clutch down, you can then calculate the transmission drag, as you can work out the total decelleration, and the component that came from the aero drag, the rest is transmission.

Paul
Old 15 November 2002, 03:00 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

A power & acceleration testing feature is in development for DeltaDash. Expect to see it as a free update for DeltaDash customers by Christmas. It'll also be available from then on in the standard product.

You can't use the vehicle speed diagnostics channel for this, since it is not updated often enough. You have to use engine speed and gearing in order to get decent results. This isn't a fault of DeltaDash, it's simly that the ECU doesn't update its internal vehicle speed data that often. You also need to take into account non-standard tyre/wheel sizes, since the vehicle speed is not compensated.

Glenn. I am happy to assist you in integrating support for DeltaDash with your software. Let me know what data you would like and I'll post some. I assume you require the following for a general program.
# Time / RPM CSV file
# Gear ratios
# Final Drive
# Wheel size
# Tyre Width
# Tyre profile

Best regards

Steve

P.S. It'll be interesting to see if we all come up with the same power figures.
Old 16 November 2002, 04:16 PM
gjohn9
Scooby Newbie

Miata Link Lab's graphing is a lot more than just the power graphs and in-gear acceleration times...though strangely these seem to get the most attention of its users!

The time-based graphs allow all logged parameters to be displayed on the same large graph that makes the relationships between them easy to spot.

It can also produce summary graphs across the entire data log allow you to filter out unnecessary stuff, e.g. MAP v RPM where MAP's above 100 shows you spool up and boost target maintenance, Knock Sensor Output v RPM when MAP's above 100 shows any "hot spots" in the rev range where ignition might be too high, etc., etc.

You guys have the physics behind the power calcs sussed - it really is astonishing how reproducible results are as long as you use the same stretch of road. BTW, for anyone already doing this, I recommend 3rd gear ('cause you don't want to be doing more than a ton on the public highway, eh?), and find a level dual carriageway with a small roundabout on it. Crawl around the roundabout at 1.0k to 1.5k in 3rd, and then just floor it when you're pointing straight down the dual carriageway opening up in front of you.

Once beta testing's complete, a 30-day trial will be downloadable before any purchasing is necessary and hence anyone interested can discover for themselves whether it's everything I claim it to be!

Thanks for the interest!

Glenn