Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Power Engineering Exhaust for New Age STi/WRX

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 01:17 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking about upgrading the exhaust system on my STi7 since it is too damn quiet and looking for extra performance too, perhaps with Ecutek.

Has anybody experience of Power Engineering's sports cat exhaust system on a new age STi or WRX?

What are the noise levels like under different conditions e.g. idling, WOT and on motorway, and how does the noise compare to other exhaust system makes? What are the performance gains like?

I am aware of the Milltek system, but comments on Scoobynet lead me to believe that it isn't much louder than the standard system.

Alan
Old 13 November 2002, 02:11 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lemmy,

I can tell you the Milltek does not sound anything like the standard system!!.
A nice burble on tick over but let it rip and you will be surprised how loud the exhaust is outside the car.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 13 November 2002, 02:22 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Wink

I also have the Milltech on my STi, a very pleasant burble indeed, and nothing like the standard car n
Old 13 November 2002, 07:18 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a ride in the power engineering demonstrator. Their exhaust is certainly effective. On the cruise it is a background burble, not that intrusive. However, I found it a bit too boomy at slow speeds, and didn't like the noise as much as some exhausts. Some people will prefer their noise - all I can recommend is that you take a trip down to power and they'll take you out in their WRX with that exhaust on. They were friendly and accomodating when I went to see them.

For what it's worth, I went with an APS exhaust here on my MY02 WRX, it will fit the STi 7 too. Much quieter around town than the PE, though you'll still certainly notice it. Noticeable but subdued at steady speeds including enthusiastic motorway cruise. Awesome noise if you open the windows or open the throttle at 3k plus. I found it impossible to drive through Dartford tunnel with closed windows or throttle, leading to a silly grin
Old 13 November 2002, 08:51 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lemmy,

I'd also say that the PPP and Miltek exhausts have a cat in them that was specifically designed to work on the STi. If you're not going for the PPP then I would go for the Miltek (and then perhaps visit PE for a remap when it's available (December I have heard )).

Ta,

Matt
Old 13 November 2002, 10:26 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Matt

Do I infer from your comments that the PE sports cat exhaust system is not designed for the STi7, and therefore potential problems such as boot spikes might occur. Incidently their website states that it is designed for pas gas flows equivalent of upto 400 hp.

When I took my Sti7 to a recent PE rolling road session they briefly showed be a dyno plot for an STi7 which gave about 292 hp and a slightly earlier rise in torque than with the standard exhaust.

I am attracted to the PE system because I am thinking about going the Ecutek route as well. My thoughts are that as PE have extensive Ecutek experience they are more likely to have optimised the Ecutek with their own exhaust system than with other systems.
However, I am no expert in exhaust systems and ecus and my logic may be flawed.

Alan
Old 13 November 2002, 11:05 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lemmy - if you get an ecutek at the same time as the exhaust, PE will set it up so you will not get boost spikes. Unhealthy spikes can be eliminated with any exhaust given either a change in restrictor size, or a full remap. Assume they know something about mapping it as prodrive are employing them to map the STi8 PPP!

I think that their map with a similar but "better" exhaust will give better results. However, I can't honestly tell you that any exhaust is better than another. IMHO the power differences between various "good" systems will be fairly small (say ±5bhp, some difference in spool time). The difference in noise levels between say a prodrive and a blitz is not subtle, so listen to them!

I believe people may have got more than 292bhp with a milltek, but do a search and you'll see for certain. And comparing two systems on different cars ignores differences between rollers and the cars, so isn't a definitive answer either.
Old 13 November 2002, 11:18 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan,

I would be tempted in your situation, to think about the PPP, as you are looking for increased performance and a more purposeful sounding car then obviously the PPP does both.

When you consider that a quality backbox/mid section/downpipe + fitting is gonna cost £650ish, then a remap is £500ish + fitting/testing (not certain on the price), say £1300 all in ?

For another £700 you get the benefit of an intact warranty,Prodrives undoubted R&D experience and a higher resale value, unregcognised 3rd party mods are worth zilch.

I have spent a lot of time thinking of all the pro's and cons and have now got my name on the dealer waiting list and I already have a top quality backbox/mid section (Blitz Nurspec R), so basically paying 2k for Sports Cat, R&D and an ECU swap, the zaust aint required (sell on).

When I had my old WRX and all the mods I just had a niggle at the back of my mind about the car going bang and IM walking away from it, if you can afford to replace a 6k STi engine or a 2K gearbox then you can afford to buy the PPP, so no point in trying to save 700 quid imo.

Subaru Impreza - Type UK - Prodrive style with Prodrive Performance Package.

Sounds better anyway

Shane

[Edited by Big Goon - 11/13/2002 11:20:32 PM]
Old 14 November 2002, 08:36 AM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Shane

I understand your reasoning. Its just that I am sure the PPP exhaust would not be loud enough, so a new backbox plus fitting will add another £350 to your figures giving a saving of upto £1000. Another factor is that the Ecutek + exhaust could be fitted before Christmas whereas with PPP who knows, could be Mar/April given the long waiting list. Also there have been a few reports of problems with PPP, e.g. stuttering at 5000 rpm and the engine check light coming on. The Deltadash outputs for boost from Mutant Matt's log on Dave T-S's STi7 also look a bit suspect at high rpm.
Given Ecutek's high reputation and that they are doing the Prodrive chip reprogramming for the STi8/WRX PPP, an Ecutek job on my STi7 would probably be better and more reliable than PPP. I could even ask them to tailor it to my requirements, e.g. lots of low down torque.

Alan

Old 14 November 2002, 08:41 AM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Hades

I am sure you are right regarding Ecutek coping with a variety of systems. I note that PE currently market a range of powerpack options for the WRX, so they might be developing something similar for the STi.

If I go the Ecutek route I think I will base my exhaust decision on sound quality and level. Therefore I need to get out and listen to the alternative systems available.

Alan
Old 14 November 2002, 08:27 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Alan,

True on many points, but the current Ecutek mod isn't recognised by IM, if it was then I would probably go that way myself.

Also PPP problems all sorted by any scoob dealer, unlike Ecutek where its a trip to Uxbridge should any problems appear.

After hearing what happened to Joseph's JDM STi7 (one of the first imported into UK and it's had a big badda boom) I am happy to keep my warranty intact.

Old 14 November 2002, 10:46 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Shane

PE aren't much further away from our new home than our nearest Scoob dealer.

What is the story with Joseph's JDM STi7 ?

Alan
Old 16 November 2002, 09:06 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 17 November 2002, 06:13 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lemmy,

AFAIK, the cat and the PE system was designed before the STi came along so wasn't designed specifically for the STi, but they could quite possibly have also made an STi specific exhasut, like Miltek and Prodrive have done.

That was all my point was.....

Matt
Old 17 November 2002, 10:29 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Matt

Thanks for the explanation. I will check out the situation with PE directly. I am pretty sure from my previous visit to PE that someone has tried their exhausy system on an STi7, but it may have been the WRX designed one.

Alan (Lemmy)
Old 18 November 2002, 08:02 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know that they have fitted their system to an STi 7 but I don't know if this was an STi 7 "designed" system or their original system.

Matt
Old 18 November 2002, 11:58 AM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

PE fitted their T75 system to my STI UK earlier this year. Although this is the WRX system, they fitted it as a demo to my car and it fits OK.

Overall I'm very happy with it. No problems with excessive noise, OK on tickover (loud burble) and motorway, very loud on WOT (which I like!). Noise levels pretty much the same as Scoobysport system, if not a little quieter. PE T75 system is absolutely superb quality, my local Subaru dealer were so impressed they have recommended the system to other customers.

Performance gains good on PE rolling road, 300bhp (@7450 rpm) & 290 lbft (@4000rpm). Car goes like stink compared to standard. The twin dump downpipe design & sports cat seems to allow a very good torque reading on an otherwise totally standard car.

No boost spikes experienced as different restrictor fitted and this was confirmed on Delta-dash at time of fitting. In fact, the STI7 traces on the ECUTEK website are from my car although on quite a warm day.

My mate also fitted the same system to his STI UK after being very impressed during our Le Mans trip this year in my motor.

ECUTEK re-mapping due very soon, can't wait!
Old 18 November 2002, 12:35 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul,

I suspect I've already asked you this but do you know what size restrictor PE used in your car? (Just curious)

Ta,

Matt
Old 18 November 2002, 01:08 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Sorry Matt really can't remember, I know they tried a couple of different size restrictors until they got it right on the RR/delta-dash. Then we went for a blast around the local countryside to double check for real with delta-dash monitoring.
Old 19 November 2002, 12:48 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Paul

From your description the PE system seems to have the sort noise level characteristics I am looking for,i.e. nice burble on tickover, quiet on motorway and loud on WOT. Does it have a similar sound quality to a Scoobysport system on a classic?

Also any chance of posting or emailing me a copy of your torque and power curves from the RR.

Alan (Lemmy)