Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 10:14 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Was going to fit, and probably still will, an oil pressure gauge but was thinking that I am not likely to drive along watching it and I would love one with a warning light but not willing to spend as much as that.. so thought why not fit a pressure switch and a warning lamp??

So the thought it to leave the standard warning light and switch as it is is and fit an additional one at a higher pressure.. as I believe if the current warning lamp comes on it is too late.

Question is what pressure and where do I get / fit one..?

I don't mind if it is on at tickover and infact that might be a good idea as then I know it is working..

Cheers for any help / advice

JGM
Old 13 November 2002, 12:33 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't know where you'd get one, but my car ticks over at about 30psi once the oil is warm.

Steve
Old 13 November 2002, 02:20 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks.. gives me an idea or what I am looking for..

Anyone else

JGM
Old 13 November 2002, 04:06 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

think the OEM switch is a 10psi one .. so useless if oil pressure fails some .. it'll be nakard before it gets to 10psi & the dash light comes on.. so mayb a little circuit to trip a light somewhere between... where I dont know !!
Steve
Old 14 November 2002, 07:02 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

You can get an twin hole adapter that screws into the existing pressure sensor hole, you then screw the existing sensor into the adapter and add another higher pressure sensor/switch into the adapter..
Rob
Old 14 November 2002, 09:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cool... any idea where from?

JGM
Old 15 November 2002, 01:57 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are not fitting an oil pressure guage then junk your existing which operates around 8 psi for a 35 psi from Rodger Clark Motor Sport (about £30 inc postage) or get an adjustable one from same place or Demon Tweeks. 30-60 psi. You have the advantage of retaining the original warning light.
If you were to fit a pressure guage then run an AeroQuip from the same place to a T-piece with the switch on one side and guage on the other.
Old 15 November 2002, 06:43 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

JGM2, demon tweeks do them AFAIK
My local motorsport shop sells the kits but i dont think you are local to me??
Rob
Old 15 November 2002, 10:32 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

An echo?
Old 15 November 2002, 05:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Thanks..

Was hoping to keep the standard warning light too.. but then I suppose there is not much point..

I'd like to fit a gauge but then think am I ever going to notice if the pressure drops whilst I am driving it?? probably not..

JGM
Old 15 November 2002, 10:38 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

I would personally keep the original light as well just so that you have a bright red light in your face when you aint looking at the gauge
No Echo??.. you stated that you could buy a higher pressure switch from DT and i stated that i think you can buy the adapter kit to run two switches for tweeks
Rob
Old 15 November 2002, 11:05 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

JGM, Wrote: (some snipped):

>> but then think am I ever going to notice if the pressure drops whilst I am driving it?? probably not.. <<

Probably ... yes ! Tell you why. Most of us have reasonable peripheral vision .... Yes? ...

Back in the days when most cars had sensible instruments, not a few basic dials coupled with arrays of coloured idiot lights, I had an early MGB which had a combined Oil Pressure and Coolant temperature gauge with proper graduations. A single standard OEM fitment consisting of two white needles over a black circular background (always my preferred). Oil pressure needle swung 180 degrees in the upper half of that circular dial, coolant temperature needle in the lower half. Thus, when cruising at speeds now considered illegal, it was not necessary to actually look DIRECTLY at these dials. My peripheral vision could detect those needles "reading" the ideal of approximately "TEN past SIX" then I knew all was well. Similarly, at lower engine speeds/idle, the ideal "TEN or FIVE to SIX" readings could be detected without direct observation.

An analogue watch with a dial and hands will always be easier and quicker to read than a digital one for that same reason .... think about it. You have to consciously look at a digital watch display to see AND READ the time. It's simply a question of what you get used to.

IIRC, manufacturers soon became tired of panicking customers reporting low levels showing on their comprehensively accurate dials. Some panicked because after say a fast, hot run their gauge dropped down to an idle 10psi (often quite normal) and at the same time, the temperature would rise somewhat alarmingly ... again often normal. These gauges were replaced by much simpler ones which read COLD .... N O R M A L .... HOT, normal occupying a very broad central sweep in the simple gauge and narrow cold/hot segments reading only showing when there were possible or real problems.... Similarly, oil pressure variation and drops were only EVER and RARELY signalled by a simple warning light when pressure reached very low levels. No light on ... happy bunnies ...

Keep 'em peeled ... on the road not those dials ....
Old 16 November 2002, 12:31 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The point about analogue guages is well made. However if you were to consider a dual oil pressure and temperature guage in digital the SPA has numerous features including switchable back colour, dim level and so on but more importantly a infinitely variable warning point and bright flashing red warning light on both temp and pressure with max recall etc. If you want more info let me know per profile.
Old 17 November 2002, 11:10 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

As lovely as the SPA gauges are I don't have any spare arms or legs to pay for them

Cheers for the ideas though.. mihgt go for an oil gauge to match my boost gauge yet...

JGM
Old 19 November 2002, 06:42 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

my oil pressure gauge {3 gauge pod}is'nt working i changed the hose from the engine block to the "shall we call it" the transponder but it still is not working could it be the latter,can i get one on it's own?price ? thanks in advance. rich