Rear diff issue

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2020, 11:39 AM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear diff issue

HI All
Sorry in advance if this was covered previously...
I'm having issue with my rear diff, as it makes nasty knocking noises when turning at slow speed. This only happens when the car and the oil are warm.
My local garage doesn't know the cause and would need to drain oil, open up the diff and take it form there. They are also unable to rebuild it if that's what is needed.
Can any one recommend a garage, ideally with experience with older Subarus (I have a 1999 JDM Sti) as this could potentially save me a lot of labour cost?
If, without having to open the diff, they could establish that I need to change the unit completely, I would look for a used on on ebay for example...
Thank you
Old 08 July 2020, 12:02 PM
neil97rs
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it have an after market diff ?
mine has a Cusco diff and at slow turning speeds it bangs and skips
Old 08 July 2020, 02:20 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by neil97rs
Does it have an after market diff ?
mine has a Cusco diff and at slow turning speeds it bangs and skips
I have no idea to be honest, do you know how I could find out? The guy from the garage also mentioned that this might be the case...
Old 08 July 2020, 02:40 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

How long do you own it, has it dccd if only new to you. If so check someone hasn't rolled it forward.
Old 08 July 2020, 02:46 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 1509joe
How long do you own it, has it dccd if only new to you. If so check someone hasn't rolled it forward.
Sorry not sure, if with DCCD you mean the centre diff manual control, no it hasnt.
Anything on the diff itself that would suggest it's not original?
Old 08 July 2020, 02:49 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Well if it hasn't sorry it must be your diff. Was only thinking
Old 08 July 2020, 02:53 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Well if it hasn't sorry it must be your diff. Was only thinking
Ok, so any aftermarket or upgraded diffs would have DCCD?
Old 08 July 2020, 03:48 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Start off with basics it will make life easier for people to help you.
1. How long have you owned the car?
2. If you have owned the car a while has this always happened or just started happening?
3.We can’t see the car, you can. If it did not come with DCCD as standard what makes YOU believe it may?
5. Do you know if it came with DCCD as standard?
6. Do you have any contact with the previous owner, can they help answer any of the above?

There are probably people on here willing to help but they are kind of flying blind without a bit more info mate.
Old 08 July 2020, 04:19 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pooolq
Ok, so any aftermarket or upgraded diffs would have DCCD?
No not necessarily so it's part of the gearbox.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 July 2020, 05:23 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by R666ORY+1
Start off with basics it will make life easier for people to help you.
1. How long have you owned the car?
2. If you have owned the car a while has this always happened or just started happening?
3.We can’t see the car, you can. If it did not come with DCCD as standard what makes YOU believe it may?
5. Do you know if it came with DCCD as standard?
6. Do you have any contact with the previous owner, can they help answer any of the above?

There are probably people on here willing to help but they are kind of flying blind without a bit more info mate.
@R666ORY+1, sorry, I will try to be more specific, however I have limited knowledge unfortunately.

The Car is a JDM Impreza STI Version 5, wagon, 97k miles.
I have owned the car since November last year, I'm kind of first UK owner (the guy who imported it only took it for test drives with potential buyers) therefore, hard to know if anything was done previously to the diff.
From what I can see, the car looks all original
The knocking has been happening from day 1 of my ownership
I never thought the car had DCCD as standard, I was just trying to understand comments from @1509joe

Great to hear if anyone can think of what the issue could be but, my main question was, can anyone recommend a good garage with experience on older cars?

Thanks
Old 09 July 2020, 12:40 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

If you have the correct model info this link is your car. No mention of a DCCD.

As mentioned after market diffs can be very aggressive (I also have one and it’s beyond noisy!). But it is difficult for anyone to answer that question for you without physically seeing it.

It would appear you need look into a potential diff issue either way so someone can further advice.

Which part of the country are you in? Will make it easier to be advised someone good and possibly local.

https://legacypic.uk/specifications....71&ref=gf8f5ed

Old 09 July 2020, 12:56 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

If you have the correct model info this link is your car. No mention of a DCCD.

As mentioned after market diffs can be very aggressive (I also have one and it’s beyond noisy!). But it is difficult for anyone to answer that question for you without physically seeing it.

It would appear you need look into a potential diff issue either way so someone can further advice.

Which part of the country are you in? Will make it easier to be advised someone good and possibly local.

https://legacypic.uk/specifications....71&ref=gf8f5ed
Hi, that link is incredibly useful information, thank you, never come across it!
On the other hand, I might being thick but I cant see the rear diff model/ratio on there, only centre diff and gerabox.
I am located in north east London, please let me know if you know of any garage relatively near.

Old 09 July 2020, 12:59 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

On the gearbox above the starter motor there's a white sticker. Post up what's on it.
Old 09 July 2020, 01:41 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

I’m at the opposite end of the country to you so don’t know your area particularly well but see link attached. These guys have been previously recommended. Neil @ Slowboy gets lots of mentions on many topics as does Rich @ FB Tuning.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...th-london.html

Nice car BTW. If I was to have a wagon that is the era I would go for.
The following 2 users liked this post by R666ORY+1:
Old 09 July 2020, 02:31 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

On the gearbox above the starter motor there's a white sticker. Post up what's on it.

Old 09 July 2020, 04:23 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

You have a 4.444 rear diff and if not a dccd gearbox it will be a r160 diff.
Old 09 July 2020, 04:55 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

You have a 4.444 rear diff and if not a dccd gearbox it will be a r160 diff.
Thank you. So R180's are DCCD only?
So that I learn something, can I ask how you worked it out please?
Old 09 July 2020, 05:17 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

DCCD more torque to the rear hence bigger R180 diff.
PDF Document with most off the gearbox codes/setups.
Old 09 July 2020, 08:42 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Good luck.
Old 09 July 2020, 08:57 PM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Just a question, when I look for one on ebay, there are also other numbers quoted, for example R160 4.444 Open 40.9.
Do you know what "open" means and 40.9? Would that work on my car?
sorry for all the questions!
Old 09 July 2020, 11:43 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

40.9 is the tooth count 40 divided by 9 is 4.444.
Open is an open diff. No lsd.
You will have fun finding one.
Old 10 July 2020, 07:35 AM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Thank you everyone, some very useful info here!
Old 10 July 2020, 07:36 AM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

Btw, here's a picture of my car!

Old 10 July 2020, 06:53 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Not entirely true and misleading unless you are more specific. R180 diff was used on numerous non DCCD vehicles.

Pooolq. In the link I provided you it tells you which transmission you have. Next to the number there is a small magnifying glass icon. Tap on it and it will go further into the information in relation to your transmission. If you wish to buy a used unit/diff it will give you a better understanding which other vehicles it can be sourced from and the technical specifications. Good luck. This information is from Subaru so you know it comes from a reliable source.
Old 10 July 2020, 07:54 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Not entirely true and misleading unless you are more specific. R180 diff was used on numerous non DCCD vehicles.

Pooolq. In the link I provided you it tells you which transmission you have. Next to the number there is a small magnifying glass icon. Tap on it and it will go further into the information in relation to your transmission. If you wish to buy a used unit/diff it will give you a better understanding which other vehicles it can be sourced from and the technical specifications. Good luck. This information is from Subaru so you know it comes from a reliable source.
I'm sorry Sir but you are nit picking the op wants and needs to know what he needs for HIS car.
1. He hasn't a r180 he has a r160.
2. The so called link is of very little benefit because they are as said very hard to source.
3. The link does not inform him as to whether he needs a r160 or r180 it just tells him which cars have that transmission fitted.
4. As you will no doubt know there is both r160 and r180 in the 4.444 ratio so he could go looking for a r180 instead of a r160 and cost himself a small fortune and also end up wondering why nothing fits.

Pooolq This one will suit you the very best but might not be exactly the same as the one that comes out but will fit and work if anything it will be an upgrade

.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-im...53.m1438.l2649

Last edited by 1509joe; 10 July 2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10 July 2020, 10:04 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Not doing so at all. You have actually proven my point! More detail is needed or it is nothing more than a sound bite.

You are correct the OP did not know himself which diff he needed. As best as could be clarified (given he didn’t know himself if it was DCCD or after market etc) you assumed because of a sticker you had given the correct information. Is that a wise assumption to make?

Pooolq asked the question:

Did he learn anything that would help more? This wasn’t answered or corrected so yes misleading. Also when posts are routinely searched prior to people asking questions or as a research tool it is best to have a bit more clarity so someone else at a later date isn’t misinformed and wastes money also. I’m sure you would agree. Again you have made my point yourself.

Was the OP aware that there is a cross over between R160 and R180? I don’t believe he was. But why are you asking me that? Would it not be wiser to of asked him? He did make it clear (I believe) he was keen to learn more. I see you didn’t explain this to him so at a later date he wouldn’t know what he should or absolutely should not be looking out for. Could that be an issue also?

The OP said himself the link was useful to him, I pointed out he could get more info from it also. I pointed out a reliable source of information that he could possibly use at a later date and that gave him a better understanding on what would normally be found on his vehicle (revisions and unknown mods aside). Did I lie?

You referenced a PDF that should bring clarity.,Which PDF? Does the OP have a definitive guide to use based on facts?

Im sure your a reasonable individual and would agree opinion and fact are not always the same? Mistakes are made. Will you reimburse Poolq if he buys a diff based on your opinion but your opinion is incorrect? Me personally I’d do more to check first.

Again me personally I’d probably have my own diff refurbished. Three reasons. You then know exactly which diff you do have, you know exactly what state it is in. You don’t go out and buy another unit that could be goosed as well.
You did say “good luck in finding one” or words to that affect. Again another reason why I’d look to refurb if possible.

We all have our own view on what’s helpful and what’s not. An opinion is just that, not fact, just thoughts. We don’t all need agree either.

If you have taken this as in anyway an insult or a dig at you be assured it’s not my intention. But then to suggest other people are nit picking when you haven’t considered other factors that could be just as relevant it is always likely to get a response.

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited by R666ORY+1; 10 July 2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10 July 2020, 11:58 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Not doing so at all. You have actually proven my point! More detail is needed or it is nothing more than a sound bite.

You are correct the OP did not know himself which diff he needed. As best as could be clarified (given he didn’t know himself if it was DCCD or after market etc) you assumed because of a sticker you had given the correct information. Is that a wise assumption to make?

Pooolq asked the question:

Did he learn anything that would help more? This wasn’t answered or corrected so yes misleading. Also when posts are routinely searched prior to people asking questions or as a research tool it is best to have a bit more clarity so someone else at a later date isn’t misinformed and wastes money also. I’m sure you would agree. Again you have made my point yourself.

Was the OP aware that there is a cross over between R160 and R180? I don’t believe he was. But why are you asking me that? Would it not be wiser to of asked him? He did make it clear (I believe) he was keen to learn more. I see you didn’t explain this to him so at a later date he wouldn’t know what he should or absolutely should not be looking out for. Could that be an issue also?

The OP said himself the link was useful to him, I pointed out he could get more info from it also. I pointed out a reliable source of information that he could possible use at a later date and that gave him a better understanding on what would normally be found on his vehicle (revisions and unknown mods aside). Did I lie?

You referenced a PDF that should bring clarity.,Which PDF? Does the OP have a definitive guide to use based on facts?

Im sure your a reasonable individual and would agree opinion and fact are not always the same? Mistakes are made. Will you reimburse Poolq if he buys a diff based on your opinion but your opinion is incorrect? Me personally I’d do more to check first.

Again me personally I’d probably have my own diff refurbished. Three reasons. You then know exactly which diff you do have, you know exactly what state it is in. You don’t go out and buy another unit that could be goosed as well.
You did say “good luck in finding one” or words to that affect. Again another reason why I’d look to refurb if possible.

We all have our own view on what’s helpful and what’s not. An opinion is just that, not fact, just thoughts. We don’t all need agree either.

If you have taken this as in anyway an insult or a dig at you be assured it’s not my intention. But then to suggest other people are nit picking when you haven’t considered other factors that could be just as relevant it is always likely to get a response.

Have a nice weekend.
You Sir are deluded the sticker gives every piece of information that is needed regarding the drivetrain. Now I don't type so people get short straight to the point answers if they don't like them they don't have to read them.
I have hundreds of workshop manuals on paper and on the computer all backed up so not to loose them which have taken years and years to acquire. I do not need to explain to anyone where or how I got the information if they want to use it fair enough if not that's ok.
I am not a teacher so I do not have to explain myself or teach/explain every last detail to people.
As for a crossover between a r160 and an r180 there isn't a crossover two totally different setups.
Most of my knowledge comes from working on Subaru's from the Legacy era on and is experience related not what people according to yourself want to see proof of where I got it from.
You say the r180 was used on numerous non dccd vehicles which it was but they aren't Subaru's so you may look into that.
Your smart alec post 24 started this conversation by basically saying I was lying.
The information the op was given is correct and if he wishes to use it all well and good if not I've wasted my time.

Now you've been a forum member since 2017 and all of a sudden become a very active and informative member can't really understand where all your expertise has come from in such a short time.

Regards.

Last edited by 1509joe; 11 July 2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11 July 2020, 10:24 AM
pooolq
Scooby Newbie

I'm sorry Sir but you are nit picking the op wants and needs to know what he needs for HIS car.
1. He hasn't a r180 he has a r160.
2. The so called link is of very little benefit because they are as said very hard to source.
3. The link does not inform him as to whether he needs a r160 or r180 it just tells him which cars have that transmission fitted.
4. As you will no doubt know there is both r160 and r180 in the 4.444 ratio so he could go looking for a r180 instead of a r160 and cost himself a small fortune and also end up wondering why nothing fits.

Pooolq This one will suit you the very best but might not be exactly the same as the one that comes out but will fit and work if anything it will be an upgrade

.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-im...53.m1438.l2649
Hi, again, sorry for my ignorance but is the diff you suggested on ebay a plated diff? I know uprated diffs can be noisy, ideally I would have a oem one, what do you reckon?

My understanding so far is that any 160 diff with a 4.444 ratio, off a version 4-6 car would work. I have learnt that earlier versions had different fittings.
Is my understanding correct to your knowledge?

And sorry, didn't mean to start a debate!
Old 11 July 2020, 11:41 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Your understanding would be correct and would keep you right on the spline and drive end of things.
Old 11 July 2020, 01:15 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Another one for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IM...53.m1438.l2649

Quick Reply: Rear diff issue