2001 Impreza Clutch Pedal Stuck on Floor

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2020, 03:43 AM
kaijudson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Impreza Clutch Pedal Stuck on Floor

Howdy all,

First of all, the car is a 2001 2.0L Impreza RX hatchback. The issue I'm having is that my clutch pedal doesn't spring back up, but I am able to pull it up manually. I replaced the hydraulic hose that attaches to the slave cylinder as there was a tear in it, and have bled it a little, however there seems to be a bigger issue. I believe that the fork that the slave cylinder presses into is stuck as it absolutely will not move backwards in the direction the slave pushes it in, i.e. towards the car (releasing the clutch plate?). I took the slave cylinder off and have tried to move the fork but nothing. The slave cylinder finger wobbles a lot, i.e. is very movable (not sure whether this is normal). There doesn't appear to be any other leaks. I'm able to put the car in and out of gear. Does anybody know what the issue could possibly be?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06 April 2020, 03:17 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

So you can't move the fork at all with the slave cylinder removed? You should be able to move it by hand and feel the resistance otherwise it sounds like its seized or something.

To properly bleed the system you sometimes have to compress the cylinder with a g glamp or the like. I didn't have to but you might. You will have to do it more than once and will require 2 people unless you have the right tools, the way I did it is pump the pedal till firmer then be ready at the bleader and open it as they push the pedal to the floor, close bleed nipple, pull pedal back up, rince and repeat until it feels right.

Also make sure the clutch fork return spring is installed, it really does make a difference to clutch feel

Edit: if you really can't move the clutch fork back and forth about an inch or so with the slave cylinder out its probably going to be an engine/gearbox out job as something has definitely broken/seized, although I'd check the fork pivot as well but it's unlikely to be that

Last edited by MrRtm; 06 April 2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07 April 2020, 01:22 AM
kaijudson
Scooby Newbie

That's correct - I cannot move the fork at all. Would further bleeding the system help this problem?

My car doesn't have a return spring but I assume I can just buy one for it once I've gotten this bigger issue solved...

Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate it!
Old 11 April 2020, 07:41 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Definatley going to be an engine/gearbox out job.

​You can remove the clutch inspection cover thing and try and shine a light in there or remove the fork pin (starter had to be removed first, 10mm hex to remove cover, battery cover bolt to thread in and pull out) then pull the fork out and again see if you can see anything but by the sound of it you'd just be getting yourself into awkward positions to see very little to end up having to pull the engine or gearbox, the fork and pin has to be removed to pull either anyway so you could do that to take a look first if you really want, from my limited experience I'd still just go ahead and pull the box or engine
Old 19 May 2020, 01:51 AM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

Default Brand new clutch on a 6sp STI from Euro Parts

Originally Posted by MrRtm
So you can't move the fork at all with the slave cylinder removed? You should be able to move it by hand and feel the resistance otherwise it sounds like its seized or something.

To properly bleed the system you sometimes have to compress the cylinder with a g glamp or the like. I didn't have to but you might. You will have to do it more than once and will require 2 people unless you have the right tools, the way I did it is pump the pedal till firmer then be ready at the bleader and open it as they push the pedal to the floor, close bleed nipple, pull pedal back up, rince and repeat until it feels right.

Also make sure the clutch fork return spring is installed, it really does make a difference to clutch feel

Edit: if you really can't move the clutch fork back and forth about an inch or so with the slave cylinder out its probably going to be an engine/gearbox out job as something has definitely broken/seized, although I'd check the fork pivot as well but it's unlikely to be that
hi, think i have a similar problem with my 6sp STI.. basically I had the engine overhauled with new valves as 2 got damaged with cambelt issues and brought a new clutch from Euro Car Parts. Engine is installed and running great but a problem has occured with the new clutch! Im not a mechanic but the mechanic saying there is problem and i think its something to do with fork moving to position? And hes not sure and telling me he going to have to take it out again to see what the problem is? Any help on the urgent mater would be much appreciated from a desperate Key worker. I have taken pictures of it to show if it helps?
kind regards