Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 03:20 PM
scooby__drew
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issues

Hi All,

Bit of a novice as far as Scoobies are concerned, and do not visit the forum very much, but I thought I would ask a question about my clutch if I may.

On normal driving around town, motorway miles and just general driving the clutch on my 1999 Impreza WRX is absolutely fine - no issues what so ever.

If you wind the car up, say flat out in a couple of gears the clutch almost disappears, and you find yourself with a slight crunch through the gears. The clutch pedal also is shortened by about half (closer to the floor). If you return to normal driving then the clutch will come back and behave as normal.

Have had it in a garage but they said there is nothing wrong with it.... Obviously didn't wind it up enough.

Any pointers would be helpful. I was thinking possibly Master Cylinder may be, or the obvious.... New Clutch...

Thanks All for your time.

Last edited by scooby__drew; 10 February 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 04:17 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

do you mean when you accelerate hard goin up the gears, your clutch pedal goes down a little as if its beeing pressed?

if so, try replacing the clutch fluid in the system.
then try adjusting the pedal in the footwell.
if the above dont sort it, see what others on here say before you go doing anything expensive
Old 10 February 2011, 04:22 PM
scooby__drew
Scooby Newbie

Yes that is correct -accelerate hard, and after the first gear change the pedal does not come all the way back up. But only when accelerating hard....

I have checked the fluid constantly, as I thought it my be low, and therefore not creating enough pressure in the system...... but the fluid is fine.

Having the car serviced next week with Subaru, so see if they come up with anything as well.

Cheers for the comment
Old 10 February 2011, 05:40 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

adjust the pedal. when it happened to me (Although it wasnt as bad as yours) i was told to adjust the pedal in the footwell by someone that had the same issue in the past and it worked.