Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Service book for Euro import

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 09:05 AM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I have just put my MY02 WRX in for it's 1000 mile service and the dealer said they do not stamp the service book for Euro imports. I did get a headed cover note/receipt from them with all the details of the service etc. but I was wondering if this is normal or anyone else with a European import has experienced this?

If the dealer agrees to undertake the work, why do they refuse to stamp the service book?

Cheers

Gavin.
Old 19 April 2002, 09:17 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that was normal.

If it was me I would make sure the invoice with the service details has your reg number and engine chassis number on the invoice.

Damian.
Old 19 April 2002, 09:23 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

This is not normal. I have a fully stamped-up service book (60k miles-worth) for my MY00 euro import. The book's in Dutch, but it's pretty obvious where to put the stamp and where to write the mileage.
Old 19 April 2002, 09:23 AM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the reply.

The invoice does have all the correct details such as reg number and chassis etc, so it is proof of the service. I was just unsure if it was normal to not stamp the book.

Cheers

Gavin.
Old 19 April 2002, 09:47 AM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Hi Carl,

I must have been replying to Damian's post when you replied - have you had your car serviced by a Subaru dealer? Not sure where to go with this - I could go back and see them, but if they refuse to stamp the book is there anything I can do?

As Damian mentioned, the reciept does have all the relevant details of the service, but I had hoped they would have stamped the book.

Cheers

gavin.
Old 19 April 2002, 10:12 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

They do normally stamp the book.

I suppose the garages arguement might be that if they can't read dutch they have no idea what it actually is that they are giving their stamp to. If a translation of the dutch showed different service requirements to what they had actually done and they had stamped it perhaps they could possibley get in some kind of bother??
Old 19 April 2002, 12:03 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

From 52,500 miles onwards I've been using Scoobysport and Tyres Northampton.

Prior to that I had 1k-30k done at Osbornes in Colchester (Subaru Dealer) and the next two (37.5k and 45k) at Welch in Great Shelford (Subaru Dealer). All stamped the service book.
Old 20 April 2002, 09:25 PM
Daphne
Scooby Regular

My car had its 1,000 mile service this morning. Book stamped, no problem. You should take it up with the dealer...
(Forgot to say - my car is Belgian import with km service book etc.)

[Edited by Daphne - 4/20/2002 9:40:25 PM]
Old 20 April 2002, 11:27 PM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies - I will phone the dealer back on Monday. If they plainly refuse to stamp the book is this something I should pursue further, or should I just find another franchised dealer? I plan to have PPP plus other extras put on the car by them, so might use this to 'persuade them'.

Don't want to end up in an argument with them over this, but seems daft if other Subaru franchises are happy to service imports from Belgium and stamp the book.

Cheers

Gavin.
Old 22 April 2002, 12:52 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Gav, you paid for a service and this should include the stamping of the service book as proof that the service was carried out by that dealer and that you are following the service schedules.

This is very odd behaviour. You could just forget it and go to another dealer, but that wouldn't resolve the problem in that you wouldn't have a stamp for the 1000 miler. So I would pursue if you didn't get it sorted today.

If they are being funny about stamping your service book then I hate to think what they'll be like when you ask about a PPP. No doubt they will inform you that you can't get the PPP on a euro car, which is not true anymore, you can get the PPP and keep your Belgium warranty intact, but this will mean a trip to Belgium. If you need anymore info. let me know.
Old 22 April 2002, 07:06 PM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Hi Boultsy

I did not get a chance to ring them today - usual story too busy at work. Will hopefully get a chance tomorrow. You are right though - I paid for them to carry out the service and should have my book stamped as proof.

They did NOT tell me that PPP needed to be put on in Belgium - luckily I came across the thread under General yesterday that mentioned this. Looks like I might take a spin though Europe later this year!

I will try to ring them tomorrow.

Cheers for the reply.

gav.
Old 23 April 2002, 05:39 PM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Hi all,

Phoned the dealer back today and asked why they chose not to stamp the book, when certain other Suabru dealers are happy to. The response was that as the book is in Dutch they do not know what they are stamping. Pretty lame excuse but they refuse to stamp it. At least I did get a headed cover note with all my car's details, and the 1000 mile service details so I do have proof. Would have been nice to have a stamped logbook, but guess I will just have to take my business elsewhere next time.

Reminds me of 5th gear last night when Quentin was interviewing the dealer about trade in prices for imports - as they cannot refuse to service your car, they can only try and penalise you in other ways. In future will certainly check in advance with a dealer to see if they stamp the logbook before booking the car in.

Not to worry - will be taking my business elsewhere next time, and will not be going to this dealer for all the mods I wanted such as Morrettes, new spoiler, colour coding etc.etc.

Thanks for all the replies anyway.

Cheers

Gavin
Old 24 April 2002, 05:26 PM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

In case anyone in Scotland was wondering, the dealer was A F Noble and Son in Penicuik.

My advice for anyone with a European import would be to ring a dealer first for confirmation they will stamp your logbook before booking your car in for a service with them.

Cheers

Gavin
Old 25 April 2002, 12:57 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Gav, fair enough if you can't be arsed to follow this up but i would be straight onto the phone to IM about this, lame isn't the word.

Luckily my Belgium service book has an english translation throughout so not had any problems, I personally would go up there with a translation and shove it up there ....
Old 25 April 2002, 08:01 AM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Question

Boultsy

Might be a silly question, but who are IM again and what does this stand for? I take it they own Subaru? Anyone have any contact numbers for Subaru UK or IM then and I will give them a phone for their view on this.

cheers

Gavin.
Old 25 April 2002, 09:04 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

IM don't give a toss and won't help you - and frankly, their attitude towards imports perpetuates this problem. You won't get any support from them.

You could however, if you want to actually do something about this, report it to the EU Commission who have a department setup to combat these types of anti-competitive/anti-EU law type things. They are very interested to hear of traders who are trying to impede EU law.

I can try and dig their contact details out if you like.

Matt
Old 25 April 2002, 10:00 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Gav IM stands for International Motors and they are the guys who handle the UK side of things and dish out the franchises (is that how you spell it) to the dealers, they basically control all things Subaru UK like subaru Benelux controls all things in Holland and Belgium.

Like matt says though, they probably wont give a toss so the EU Commission route will probably get the best results. Although it may still be worth asking IM whether they endorse a dealers doing this and quoting anti-competitive/anti-EU law stuff and ask them if they are going to do anything about it, and feed that back to the EU commission aswell.

Is it worth it though

FYI, Fuji Heavy Industries own Subaru

Old 25 April 2002, 10:03 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Here's the telephone number: 01215222000 for IM
Old 25 April 2002, 10:35 PM
Artwrx
Scooby Newbie

Arty here, first day on here, so bear with me.
Regarding service intervals for new MY02 WRX. My car was bought in the uk from a car subermarket they got the car from Belgium. My local dealer did the 1000 service and stamped the book. I asked what service interval I should use, they suggested I contact Subaru uk, they where "un-helpful" and suggested I got in touch with the Subaru Benelux people. My question is to keep the 60,000 or 3 year warranty, what shedule is correct, the uk 10,000mile interval/12 months or the older shedule of services every 6 months/12,500KM as per the service book that came with the car! HELP!! please
Old 26 April 2002, 07:39 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Welcome Arty

Keep to the UK service intervals. Has the intervals for an MY02 changed? My MY00 is serviced every 7500/6 months and every 15000/12 months.

Neil.
Old 26 April 2002, 08:28 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would at least change the oil more regularly than 7500 miles anyway (let alone 10-12,000 miles). 3-4000 miles is a better interval IMHO. After all, I think these intermediate services are mainly only an oil/filter change, lube a few bits and check the various fluid levels.

Matt
Old 26 April 2002, 08:49 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Nooooooooooo!!!!!! Well sort of.

The warranty is administered by Subaru Benelux and you must keep to their servicing schedule, not the UK ones.

So its 7 500 miles, not the 10 000 miles of the UK cars. If Benelux change then you can change.

Anyway would you really want the oil in for 10 000 miles (have a look at it after 5 000!)
Old 30 April 2002, 08:08 AM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

Matt,

If you have the address for the EU commission department you mentioned, I will definately send off a letter. I doubt it will do much for my current problem, but at least it will bring this sort of thing to their attention. I will try and give IM a call this week, but after your comments about their attitude not sure if it will lead to anything. Thanks for posting the number boultsy.

cheers

gav.

Old 30 April 2002, 09:04 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry, had a look but haven't got the details anymore. Have a search on the EU Commission website.......

Matt
Old 30 April 2002, 07:57 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Try this link
Old 30 April 2002, 08:27 PM
Artwrx
Scooby Newbie

Thanks all for the info about service intervals, I have just found out from Keyrings web site FAQ that I have to register my cars details with Subaru UK warranty department.(MY02WRX) I have to obtain a copy of the purchase invoice from the car supermarket I got the car from (price paid can be tipexed out).The supermarket got the car from Belgium, this has to go with a copy of my V5 or reg number and chassis number.Has anyone else done this? any probs when putting in a warranty claim? Art
Old 01 May 2002, 08:27 AM
Gav_D
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the link boultsy, will fire off a email this week.

Just out of interest, has anyone had their imported WRX serviced and log book stamped by a Subaru dealer in Scotland? Will need to start looking elsewhere after my problems with Nobles.

Cheers

Gav.
Old 01 May 2002, 11:39 AM
shippd
Scooby Regular

...just adding my threepenny-worth a bit late in the day ! I bought my Belgian import second-hand but the service book had been stamped no problem by UK dealers. I've owned Fiat & Alfa Romeo imports and in both cases I've bought English service books for £10 from the UK dealer at the time of first service. Will Subaru UK dealers sell/give you a UK service book like this if you want one ? Can't see why they shouldn't unless they're being difficult.
Old 01 May 2002, 01:44 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Art, yes this is normal practice, no claims to date, 4.5 month old MY02.
Old 07 May 2002, 06:08 PM
m1cassels
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hi Gav

Interesting - I'm in Edinburgh but had my 1000 miler done in Errol - they were OK but Trade Sales supplied the car without a book and nobody else will supply them (they lied to me and said it was an EU import, but later admitted it was not).

Dealer in Perth Subaru Town and Country, point blank refused to service it - stated it was company policy. Nobles siad they would, but there own supplied cars would get priority!!

Plan to get the next service (10000 lies or 7500 miles which anyone?) at Nobles. Now not so sure......!

MC

Quick Reply: Service book for Euro import