Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Stan Palmers

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2005, 06:35 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stan Palmers

Went to Stan Palmers in Carlisle this lunchtime fully intending to purchase the W plate UK Turbo they have for sale. Was ready to sign on the dotted line today. All went well until we got down to brass tacks.

The car was up for £9995, between £2700 and £2200 (depending on which sourse you look at) over top book. He did offer £750 over trade in for my Peugeot, but absolutly would not budge on price. The Subaru had no extras, was only slightly under average miles and had slight cosmetic damage to the inside (although easily repairable)

Don't get me wrong the salesman wasn't rude or disinterested

Before I start traveling further afield to buy a car I just wondered if this is the attitude I can expect from other Franchised dealers.

Thanks

Stevo
Old 06 December 2005, 11:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stevo

Stan Palmers have a good reputation around here for looking after their customers including JDM imports and EU imports like mine

I personally can't fault the service they have given me over the years from Ian Armstrong and the rest of the crew I've not been there for a while due to the arrival of baby Dominic (now 6 mts old) but I doubt if things have changed !!

What you pay for is being looked after if things go wrong IMHO

Are you local ??

Have you looked at www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk ??

Cheers

Shaun
Old 06 December 2005, 11:43 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve was it Ian you were dealing with I have always found him to be ok.The one thing you will find with Palmers is that their after sales service is second to none you wouln't find better as many will vouch of this board,how was your day at Grizedale at the weekend ?
Old 07 December 2005, 08:37 AM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Hi Gus

Saturday was good, after 2nd on the Clubmans RAC a fortnight before Geoff was a little disapointed with 35th O/A and 10th I/C. Your day good?

I don't know who I dealt with as Palmer's, he was aimiable, nothing would be too much trouble to fix before i got the car. All I know is that he was unwilling to deal. He told me that they buy cars is at over top book, you and I both know this is noncence. Admitting that he knew his cars were well over priced but that he was still not prepared to be swayed.

I don't doubt that the service they provide is good and of course I would expect a good service from whatever (francised) dealer I bought a car from, but I don't believe it is worth a 30% to 40% premium on the price of a car.

I do believe that my offer to pay top book while accepting trade value for my car was fair.

V reg Peugeot 306 GTi-6 + £ 4000 for W reg Impreza Turbo (no extras) seem fair?
Old 07 December 2005, 10:47 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Day was ok for the first stage peter/mark set top 20 time and then trouble on the second stage they clipped a log heavely smashed a front disk and rearranged the rear suspension end of rally!!!! mark was saying that it was very slippery out on the stages and they had the wrong tyre choice...as for the deal you are doing with Palmers its your choice seems fair one think once you have had an impreza you wouln't want to drive anything else.
Old 07 December 2005, 11:47 AM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

"V reg Peugeot 306 GTi-6 + £ 4000 for W reg Impreza Turbo (no extras) seem fair?"

This is what I wanted to pay, he wanted my car + £6000, crazy!
Old 07 December 2005, 05:04 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

sorry steve I miss read your post I thought that is what they had offered your car +£4000 puts a different light on things.

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2005, 08:28 PM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

Stevo
We have bought 2 Scoobs off Palmers now
We pass 2 local dealers to get to them ( Could nt & Would nt as we know them)
either will not let you test drive an Sti but offer to take you for a ride out in it ???
Or can make no arrangements for you to even look at 1
Palmers on the other hand stayed open late on a Sunday for us to take there Demo out then sorted for us to take another one out with no questions asked .
could not have done more for us
You would probably get a better deal if you were trading a Scoob for a Scoob IMHO
Old 07 December 2005, 10:46 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

I had heard before I went that they were a good dealership, it just turns out that they don't want to sell cars. If the car was a superb example i could expect the price to be a little inflated but although externally mint, it was in fact in poor condition inside.

Shame really as I will get a Subaru, there are after all plenty out there, but my money will go elsewhere. Their loss.
Old 07 December 2005, 10:57 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

At that money get a Type R. If can't handle a 2 Door get a V5/V6 4 Door RA. Don't waste on slow UK scrap.
Old 07 December 2005, 10:58 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I just wondered .......was it a classic in silver on a W plate with 42 thousand on the clock ?

Shaun
Old 08 December 2005, 12:58 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Yep, W Silver. Although it actually had 45K on it.
Old 10 December 2005, 09:09 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Every time I've visited, they have never been interested in selling me a car. Not that I'd want to buy one from them at the prices they charge!

Problem is they have a monopoly as they are the only Subaru dealership in South Scotland and Cumbria.
Old 10 December 2005, 10:13 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I would be inclined to think there is a misunderstanding here somwhere...

Palmers have a massive reputation amongst scoobynet members- I travel 120 miles each way for my car to be serviced by them, and have now bought 4 Imprezas, a honda, and an Isuzu pickup from them (they have Isuzu, Honda and Ford dealerships as well as Subaru)
Old 11 December 2005, 03:19 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

I certainly missunderstood, there was me thinking the purpose of a car dealer was to sell cars. How wrong was I?

They can't really expect people to pay £3K over top book for a car, can they? Maybe I've got the whole thing wrong, maybe people do.