Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help!!! Tappet noise on MY00

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 09:51 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

worrying development for me, my car has been booked into Stan Palmers today after i noticed that i have a tapping noise from the engine when cold, when engine is warm the noise is gone, it sounds like a tappet to me, guy on the phone said it was very unusual, they had never heard of a tappet going on a turbo, and it was a dockyard job to do and had never done one before

Help someone put my mind at ease the car only has 7K on the clock and now its going to get onened up by a dealer that has never done the job before!!!!!
Old 11 April 2001, 12:50 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

....if the noise is at engine speed, it's not a tappet, if it's at half engine speed, it is somewhere in the valvegear.....
Old 11 April 2001, 08:19 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by philgr:
<B>worrying development for me, my car has been booked into Stan Palmers today after i noticed that i have a tapping noise from the engine when cold, when engine is warm the noise is gone, it sounds like a tappet to me, guy on the phone said it was very unusual, they had never heard of a tappet going on a turbo, and it was a dockyard job to do and had never done one before

Help someone put my mind at ease the car only has 7K on the clock and now its going to get onened up by a dealer that has never done the job before!!!!![/quote]

Sounds a bit like the dreaded "Piston Slap" problem...Check out other posts in this section to find out more about it.

Old 11 April 2001, 09:29 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Most Scooby engines are tappety when cold. If the noise goes away when warm, I shouldnt worry.

As Scoobysport said when I asked them to check mine over, its a characteristic... these are noisy engines.

James.
Old 13 April 2001, 08:14 PM
Chris p
Scooby Regular

Hi guys , turbo engines don't have hydraulic tappets anymore but a bucket and shim affair ,you can check them and adjust by changing the shim size.unusual to need doing but it's possible!!!