Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Poor service from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2003, 06:39 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I have just taken my WRX03 (which I absolutely love!) in to the dealer for its 1,000 mile service. I am absolutely fuming!
The first thing was when the service reception lady told me that I had to get my insurance to provide cover on the courtesy car. Not very impressed so told her and she said that this will be common across the industry and it was either that or a £1000 excess. My insurance co wanted £20 so went with their excess. I offered to bring my car back after work at 3:30 so I wouldn't need the courtesy car but she said the latest I could bring it back in was 1:30 (it was already 10:00 so I cant imagine work would be too happy).
The courtesy car they gave me had the low fuel light on which is totally useless as I dont live in the town where the dealer is (and therefore dont know where the nearest garage is) and had to be at work some miles away. Its now 10:30 and I am getting twitchy. In the car on the way up I explained to the guy that if I wanted crap service I would have bought another Golf and there is absolutely no way that BMW or Mercedes would start making the customer insure the courtesy car.
Next, they had agreed to put in my CD changer and power for my radar detector when I bought the car and surprise surprise neither had been done when I turned up at 4:30. That'll take about an hour and half they said. Told them to stick it after the sales guy asked me if it was a condition of sale on the car!

I am absolutely livid. I so wanted good service, I love the car but hate being given the run around. I absolutely guarantee that the more 'prestige' brands will treat you like a king when you visit so why not Subaru??

I only sent the questionaire back to Subaru yesterday saying how much I loved the car and was impressed by the dealer.

Off to write some letters now:-(

Cheers

Dave
Old 28 May 2003, 12:18 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

We've had to insure Subaru, Saab and BMW courtesy cars.. Our insurer makes no charge for this... We have always been advised of this in advance though.. which is easier than just rolling up...

WRT the petrol situation, it's not that difficult to ask where the nearest station is and under your own admission you did have some miles to go.. Why should the garage pay for this?

I like good service as well but realistic expectations also help. They have a business to run and covering their own cars for insurance and mileage can get expensive.. Larger, more 'prestige' dealers simply add this overhead into the cost of what they charge you... Swings and roundabouts really.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:28 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Not a 'certain' dealer in Macclesfield by any chance was it???
Have to say,the courtesy car I get from my dealer never has any fuel in it and the petrol light is always on.Luckily,I just put whatever in it to get me through (Have a fuelcard too so happy days!! )

Nick
Old 28 May 2003, 04:04 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Last time I took a BMW in for a service they charged £5 to insure their curtesy car - I didn't have a problem with that as a taxi to/from garage would have been £10 ish..

Old 30 May 2003, 02:27 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Well I'm going to agree with Alpine.

Just what is a dealer expected to do?

We see rants about lack of courtesy cars or their make age/size when provided! Are they now expected to offer a "free" tank of petrol into the bargain

Been through the full range of options when booking a service:-

Bring it over first thing and you'll be away by 8.45. (I was and also got coffee, a morning paper and a car mag. )

Dropped off and collected from the office. Wife taken to/collected from local shopping mall (expensive option )

Insurance, driven third party, paid/no surcharge on own cover and insured at no cost by distributor.

Cars ranged from P reg Sport to a Legacy that needed covers taken off the seats and excise licence put in the window.

One strangely consistent point though. Every car had the fuel light on within a couple of miles. Do you think the garages were siphoning the gas or was it brought home on vapour?
Old 30 May 2003, 07:25 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with the other Dealership in the North West ie Mainland courtesy cars ranged from New Legacys to an XT Forrester.
Fuel warning light came on as soon as I left the Dealership though
Old 30 May 2003, 07:27 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Nick, are you talking about the Dealership that rhymes with 'Skunks Teeth'??
Old 06 September 2003, 02:21 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

It's not as if the main dealers don't charge very much though, is it? You kinda expect something for your money, especially at £65+ per hour.
I'm off to Mainland Widnes for the 90k sevice....see if I can get a uk300 loan car or summat..!

[Edited by Franx - 6/9/2003 5:03:46 PM]
Old 09 November 2004, 09:49 AM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Can't have been the "Skunks Teeth" dealer as they have a petrol station next door.

Am intrigued though as to who it was.

Tell All............