Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Newera Imports

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 01:50 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newera Imports - there fee. Is it just me or is this just a blatent lie about how much they charge!
Old 05 February 2003, 02:01 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Way to expensive for me! look at some of their cars. They charge about £9k for a 94 wrx! lmao
Old 05 February 2003, 03:11 PM
Scooby Si
Scooby Regular

I'm well happy with the 95 Legacy GT Estate they found for me
£6000 all in
Old 05 February 2003, 07:27 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the cars they sell are good but...

it's the fact they bang on about it's a only a £900 fee when it clearly isn't.
Old 05 February 2003, 07:42 PM
Scooby Si
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The £900 fee includes the transportation from Japan SVA MOT tax fuel preparing the car and boby work needed
the biggest sting is the export fees import duty and the VAT
My 6k car was 2.5k at the Auction !!!
Old 06 February 2003, 01:44 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Blimy a complaint about Newera Imports. Not heard one before.
Old 06 February 2003, 08:28 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Will let you know how we get on then...have a car on order. I'm going by the "on the road price", if its £900 on top of that I'll be very surprised.

Bear in mind you have the auction cost, de-reg costs, shipping and transportation, lading, Customs duty (10%) then VAT then conversion and on and on and on and on.

Tim
Old 06 February 2003, 09:01 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

I know a company that charge £500 fee. And that is there fee, no addings on top!

Drop me an email if you want their email address
Old 06 February 2003, 11:30 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

MattN.
Can you just explain what experience you've gone through with Newera? I've been planning on buying a car through them, mainly because of the good reputation of Newera and Miguel. What went wrong for you? Just break it down for us.
Old 06 February 2003, 12:38 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

With regards to fee's, I think you need to look at comparible cars from other importers and what they cost OTR overall.
The price Newera quoted me has been met, and is an on the road price complete with years MOT, 6 mnths tax.
Looked at other importers costs, and it is pretty much comparible with most of them. I was willing to pay a little extra for the expertese of Miguel, as I have got an RX7 through them, which is obvuously a risky car if not sourced properly (Miguel has an RX7 himself, knows them very well), and there are two other owners of RX7's on the rx7 forum Ive been on who are both nearing 70k miles with no probs, that Miguel sourced for them.
You pay a couple hundred pound more for that reputation, which im happy to do, if you wanted to save a few hundred quid, then there are plenty importers around who would happily take your money.

In price comparisons, I havent seen a 900 pound difference on the cars. Perhaps big differences in price is the condition or quality of the car, car conditions differ hugely, and the choice of the car at auction is the most important bit, and as Miguel knows cars pretty well, it seems worth a bit extra to have that piece of mind.
Old 06 February 2003, 01:48 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

just trying to get the bottom of the cost. Seems to me you pay everything and then another £900 as a service charge even though the cars are already 'marked up'.
Old 06 February 2003, 02:19 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Not sure Matt, ill have a look at the price breakdown I was given, they do seem to get a lot of business thou, so cant imagine they price themselves too badly against competitors.
Old 06 February 2003, 05:43 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Marked up by who Matt? You pay the Auction cost+ import duty etc etc....and you pay Newera for their services - 900quids.
What are you actually saying they do that is wrong and not legitimate?
Old 06 February 2003, 06:10 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying they do anything wrong.

I'm saying they charge you in the case of an RX7 over the top for work which is then included in the OTR price. In this example they are charging £1000 to MOT and tax a car. But remember they are only charging you a £900 fee. bollocks.

Old 07 February 2003, 03:33 PM
KT
Scooby Newbie

Well said Miguel, shame you had to defend your company's good name against ill informed allegations. I know you have happy customers in the rx-7 world.

Kevin
Old 08 February 2003, 05:39 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Well said Miguel. We have faith in you!

Tim
Old 08 February 2003, 07:14 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Im not saying that you guys have to do it free but some of the cars are overpriced. When i tried looking for an import, the wrxs were for crazy money and i compared it to Japvillage and again it was about the same. Its probably because you guys have to make money as a business, pay for admin expenses, have to put vat on your sales etc where as if you import it yourself you save yourself a lot more money.

You talk about a 93wrx selling for £6000 and you could have made more. I imported MY95 with a few mods for much less and imported a 94 for £4000 including all sva costs etc.

Like i said, its because you guys have to put on admin expenses etc and you guys need to make a profit. Its like any companys i guess. Its cheaper if you do it yourself or pay for an agent to do it than going through a company
Old 09 February 2003, 09:40 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Old 09 February 2003, 06:53 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Guys,
Ive been following this thread for a while now but i think i should speak my mind. Newera imports sourced my Scooby STI 6 Type r v-ltd and i was more than impressed with the condition of the car and the service i recieved from Miguel, Newera UK and Motormal. It was as described to me over the phone with no nasty surprises when it arrived. Yes i agree i could have purchased a cheaper car if i was to pick the car over the internet directly from one of theauctions but i DONT trust pictures as they can tell lies. Ile give you an example, a good friend purchased a Skyline R34 V-spec from a suposedly very well known Japnese firm. He sw the pictures of the car, spoke to the salesman etc etc and splashed out over £30k for the beast. When the car arrived we both whent to Southampton docks to clear the car through customs and drive it to the sva conversion garage. All i can say is that the car was a shamples. It was full of pin dents, ripples and i was pretty sure a couple of the panels were replaced. He now regrets the purchase all to save a few quid. He tried warning me off imports but i done my research and got a gem. If it means paying a few £'s more to get a propper car then its well worth it. Importers have to make a living as well like us so its in there intrests to find good cars for their clients otherwise they never will ultimately cease trading. I recently sold my STI 6 type r and have been in contact with miguel in regard to another car. If i wasnt happy with the service or the car i wouldnt have made the call. For those who are slating Newera, get your facts right before you post comments on a public board.

Regards

Gez
Old 10 February 2003, 07:05 AM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

I have been a customer of Miguel for the last 5 years and have personally bought my last 3 cars from him.
I know of at least 20 other cars that friends, family have bought and without exception ALL have surpassed the expectations.
If you want a cheap SHED, you can have a SHED........If you want a MINT example, you can have a MINT example. Honest, reliable and trustworthy car suppliers are few anf far between and Miguel and Newera certainly stand out from the rest in this area.
Managing expectations is crucial and Miguel only ever exceeds your expectations with the cars he sources.
Ultimately you get what you pay for.......................
A high proportion on Miguels business is repeat and referral...........surely that speaks volumes.........
Those that have bought already from Newera will know what I am saying...........
Old 10 February 2003, 08:17 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Further reply from Miguel...

Yes, yes, yes - Mr. Money.

PERHAPS you did import for these very low costs...Perhaps, eh!

I may have it completely wrong and I apologise wholehearedly if I am....though you'll excuse me if I use my daily experience in buying cars in Japan for export to UK over the last 5 years - to comment:

As I have already demonstrated in my last reply, quality is not cheap from Japan.

In your given example's case for the 1994 WRX you claim to have imported:

To get a WRX into the UK, pay all Japanese, shipping, import costs, VAT, Import Duty & SVA, road tax & UK register yourself at cost of 4,000 GBP Total OTR (never mind likely cosmetic attention required on a car so "cheap"), you'd have had to pay 310,000 Yen maximum for a 1995 WRX. This is not including VAT on profits that must be declared legally in UK, though it does include VAT payable on entrance to UK, which is unavoidable even for private importers.

We do buy good quality lower priced late 1994 + WRX's for regular TRADE CLIENTS:

However, we don't get them for as little as 310,000 Yen ever (Though I admit, we don't target clocked cars, major accident repaired, or very high mileage), so you'll understand if I point out you're not considering the quality supplied to NEWERA PRIVATE CLIENTS - who tend to get the cream of what's available.

Newera clients get, non accident, well maintained, low wear cars typically of grade 4.

A 310,000 Yen WRX is something priced as such in Japan because nobody else wants it.

I'd have to wrestle with a guilty concience if I ever bought a WRX of such inherently poor quality - bearing in mind eventually it'll end up with an owner who spent his hard earned money on the car he'd enthused about....not something Newera Imports is prepared to do. After all, our reputation depends much on the quality of cars we supply.

Come on, 310,000 Yen (Maximum!) spent on a 1995 WRX - that's 1,580 GBP - Do you honestly say a car can cost so little in Japan yet be a genuine good example?

Anything that low priced is very likely a dog, to put it very politely.

Buying from an Export Agent can (Not always) be quite a gamble. Why, because as a private individual they're not expecting you to come back. Japanese Exporters don't understand British culture and how word of mouth works. Successful Export agents in Japan are not interested in maintaining a reputation amongst private individuals in UK. So do understand the risks of buying from a Japanese company before gambling your hard earned money to buy a car you've never seen before, nor had someone you know you can trust do it for you...

Did you get your cars from a reputable Japanese supplier (There are few. Not many would be interested in supplying high quality hand picked cars individually to inexperienced importers - It's asking for a lot of work, explaination and trouble - to supply just one car trade - to a private individual). Successful Car Export companies work on bulk sales. I used to work for car exporters here in Tokyo for 2 years, so I know.

Finding good quality stock / cars to order for Newera Customers is not easy - which is why we can take 4-6 weeks on average to find excellent examples to order.

We don't just pick out the cheapest example going!

Also it takes experience, a lot of knowledge and believe me - enthusiasm, to seek out the best quality / priced examples.

Look at our stock, plus cars recently supplied - shown also on the website.

Once you've done that, compare to typical UK Importers prices for the SAME quality, complete condition & mileage.

Then can you still honestly say Newera is expensive?

Our customers tend to vote with their purchases, confidence and enthusiasm shared on the net, friends, etc. after receiving their cars for what we do for them,.....instead of complaints!

Note that Newera is an agent to supply cars to order - so we already are one of the most cost effective ways to consistently obtain good quality cars from Japan into UK.

This is the last e-mail I intend to post on this subject.

As far as I am concerned here, I have proven my point:

Quality and value is what Newera supplies.

Cheap Rubbish is not something we supply and so should not be what our cars are compared to, quite the opposite in fact!

Best Wishes,

Miguel Varella-Cid.
Newera - Japan Office.
Tel: +81- (0) 90-4133-3825
Fax: +81-(0) 47-307-4678
Old 10 February 2003, 09:58 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

You got to give it to Miguel he's actually turned this thread into an advert for his services. I wouldn't be suprised if he actually gained future orders from it.
Old 10 February 2003, 07:20 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

lmao! I did read most of that thread but then gave up half way through!

First of all, its no perhaps or claimed, they ARE imported. Whats the point of bull****ting?

Yes i do understand about the vat you have to charge on sales and thats why i said in my post maybe thats why your costs are higher. This is your business and thats why you have to charge vat on sales. Where as im an accountant by trade and only help people to import cars so only have to charge a small fee to organise the purchasing of the vehicle, shipping it over and getting the SVA sorted out.

Yes i do know a good contact in Japan which i have met over the years. I personally havent been importing cars as long as you (ie 5 years) but the contact we have been importing cars through have known for many years and maybe thats why we get it so cheap!

I know some cars are dogs and are so cheap and if they are, we simply dont buy them. Dont bother with high mileage ones or old dogs. Thought about buying a damaged car before, but its to much work to get it right! Normally though, if its below a grade 4 (like you said) its not worth considering.

However, its not hard to find a cheap car import it and the car actually turn out quite nice!

Out of the cars i imported (not just scoobs but skylines, 300zxs and others), only 1 turned out to be a dog! Wasnt happy with that but was funny afterwards.

Agents yes you can get them cheap but a lot of people dont want to go to an agent as they want to see the vehicle before they buy it! I dont blame them as they are rumours going about that you could end up with a dog but if you shop about and speak to agents who have been doing it for years then you will normally end up with a nice motor!

Its like anything, its WHO you know. If you have a good contact in Japan, you can get things really cheap. An example is performance products. Trust sell their gear at one price but as i know the guy that imports the stuff, he gives it to me at a BIG discount. Its still exactly the same product, its just not charged at stupid prices. If you actually look at your accounts, and ask how much percentage you make on each car, you will probably be shocked! Like i said, im an accountant and have seen some profits these importers make!

Anyway, this whole topic was no disrespect to Newairimports or anyone else. I just thought they were a little expensive for me. However, you can go down there and see the car before you buy it which is always a bonus!

This should be my last email to as my bloody fingers are hurting!

Old 11 February 2003, 10:47 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

hornets nest then...

firstly at no point did i say anything disrespectful about the cars they sell, the business they are in, I simply queried the structure of their 'fee'.

Secondly, I do have experience of cars form Newera, I have one sat on my drive right now!

Gez - who was slating them? I know you got a Type r from them, and not long ago you were advertising a nissan 350z which was one of their cars.

To me this thread was a difference of opinion and a couple of people felt the need to contact the company directly.

Old 17 February 2003, 10:56 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Yet another satisfied customer of Miguel.
I've bought in a 95 FTO, exactly as described, he then found a 93 300zx convertible, he recently supplied my 96 wrx.
All of the cars have been exactly as described.
Hopefully I'll be giving him some order forms for a couple of friends.
His prices may not be as cheap as others, but his cars are top notch.
Old 02 May 2003, 09:33 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

er no it doesn't.

You pay for ALL costs then they stick at least £900 on it.
Don't be fooled into thinking you pay the major costs and everything else comes out of there fee. You pay for absolutely everything then they charge £900 for the service

Si, if your car cost 2.5k at auction they charged you £2000 to collect (from the docks in the UK) the car SVA, MOT and tax it. That sounds more like £1500 fee to me

[Edited by MattN - 2/5/2003 9:35:14 PM]
Old 02 July 2003, 02:37 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I contacted Miguel at Newera about this...This is the reply...

I was alerted to the thread on Scoobynet about Newera imports. It's notable that the people making comments haven't been our clients before.

I wouldn't usually post a message as I'm not a member - but a few previous clients have advised me of the conversation going on about our business, so I felt I should make a comment about this, so people can understand the real situation here.

In response to comments about How The Newera Works:

You must consider ALL costs to import & put a car OTR, not only cost price in Japan and a few other bits - It's dangerous when importing - to work out costs inaccurately.

So here's an explaination from beginning to end:

Firstly, we don't buy poor quality cars. Just as in the UK, you wouldn't expect to pick up excellent quality cars for pennies, in the same way - low quality thrashed and based examples are available for low prices, but they're simply not what we supply.

As an example which I have seen being discussed - take the 1992 Silver RX-7 with BBS LM alloys in stock, on our site for example. We paid good money for this car, because it's an outstanding example. Agreed, there are lower priced 1992 RX-7's out there, but we prefer to select the best, bearing in mind only 900 pounds is added as a fee.

So here's how it works in this case.

Car Cost at auction: 729,000 Yen.
FOB Fee: 75,000 Yen.
Auction Fee: 9,000 Yen.

TOTAL FOB: 813,000 Yen = Approx: 4,169 GBP

FOB Fees cover the costs of transporting the car to storage yard, storage fees, deregistration, customs paperwork, customs clearance, translation of deregistration, shipping arrangements and loading onto vessel. This work is done by Yamagin Corp. who are the export company Newera buys all cars at auctions through.

Add 595 GBP for Shipping & UK Clearance charges & insurance.

Then add this all up, add 10% Import Duty. Sub total. Add 17.5% VAT.

If doing the sums right, you'll find you have a figure of approx. 6,157 GBP. Now add UK Transport costs if the car is to be delivered direct to the customer & finally 900 Pounds.

We're asking for 7,360 for this car WITHOUT UK Preparation. Just delivered - as it's easy to do UK conversions and MOT by oneself. 10 year old cars don't reauire SVA.

If the customer wants the car OTR:

Typical UK costs: Transport to Motormall - from Southampton to Folkestone (85) convert to SVA spec (170), do 2/3 panels of required paintwork (250), MOT & Fuel (50), Registration + Road tax: (113) + Motormall's admin charges (100) + Usual extras such as a tyre, replacement part, etc (200). Don't forget to total up with VAT except for Government costs - You'll find total is approx. 900-1000 GBP total UK costs for a non SVA car.

Now, how much are we asking for this car?

8,360 OTR. If you do the sums, you'll find it adds up to a 900 GBP Fee included in OTR price.

If anyone has any doubt this is what was paid for this RX-7, I shall be happy to scan a copy of the auctions invoice - though clearly I shouldn't have to be defending myself here.

Before anyone goes off on a tangent on about how cheap you can get RX-7's or other cars - I will say this. There are 450,000 Yen (Car Cost) RX-7's. Yes. However, we haven't got our reputation here as a result of supplying the lowest priced poor quality RX-7's. Same goes for other cars such as Scoobies, Skylines, FTO's, etc. We only supply cars I would have myself - so this often means paying considerably more for a car than the lowest prices they can be available for.

There's no use in comparing a cheap Import in UK which may have had a rough history, poor condition, etc, to the cars we supply. It's simply not an accurate comparison.

Japan's no different to any other country with regard to how cars are priced locally. A car is worth what people are prepared to pay for it. Good examples are worth more than poor examples.

Cars under 6,000 GBP OTR are seldom worth importing as this leaves too little to buy a decent quality car with in Japan. Remember that shipping & FOB costs, SVA, etc, etc. don't vary - so when you have too little to buy the car with, you end up only with the choice of not a lot!

It's often better value to go for newer cars also. Note the Sti Version 5 with 40,000 genuine miles on our website now, priced at 13,745 GBP for example. Now, try to find the SAME car in the UK from an importer - for the same price. You may find same price for lower quality, but you won't find the same quality for the price.

In the end, you all have a choice of different importers to use. Nobody forces anyone to use Newera Imports.

There are other suppliers out there, though you won't find any with the same service as Newera, nor with as knowledgeable a buyer. No other Importer has their own buyer in Japan for this sort of business. Finally I'll say that buying cars is work that requires skill and a keen eye. We often reject cars because they're just not to the standard we'd be happy with, as in Tim Bomford's case last week...These are facts.

Please don't make damaging remarks about Newera's work without verifying your information first. You wouldn't like it if people did the same to you / your business - especially when incorrect.

So - I'd like to take the opportunity to thank those who have supported us in this thread. We do appreciate it!

Without meaning to sound Blase - Newera Imports are probably the most consistently recommended supplier of Imported cars in the UK. This is all done from the goodwill of customers who have experienced getting their cars from Newera and from those who know the truth. It's they, who freely recommend Newera when people ask. It's also these people who put up websites recommending Newera as the source of cars.

Ask yourself: Why would people who have sourced cars through Newera do this?

A: They are delighted customers.

Also, doing a search on www.google.com for example, you'll only find good comments, no bad ones about Newera Imports.

The crux of the matter is simply that we ALL want only good Imports in the UK. We all dislike rubbish poor quality cars - Most of us, anyway!!

Newera Imports is run with a passion for cars. We are a successful business, but it's come from hard work and commitment to we only supplying only the best quality available for people's budgets and from the recommendation of many delighted clients.

The vehicles we supply are only those I would be happy to own myself. Often we take longer to find them, when buying to order - but the cars are right - as some of you have already experienced.

Our reputation depends on it.

Best Wishes,

Miguel Varella-Cid.
Newera - Japan Office.

[Edited by andrewdelvard - 2/7/2003 2:43:54 PM]
Old 02 July 2003, 02:38 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Regarding this comment...
Way to expensive for me! look at some of their cars. They charge about £9k for a 94 wrx! lmao

Er, dude - you really do need to see the cars on "How Our Cars Compare" on the website. We haven't supplied a 1994 WRX for near 9K -for a very, very long time....though we did supply a 1998 WRX in Met blue with low mileage for approx. 10,800 OTR a year or so ago....Customer's comments are available upon request (Yes - a delighted customer)!

We did recently have a rather nice 1993 which went for nearly 6K OTR. Is this the one you're referring to? We could have sold it for more, thogh we stuck to our policy as usual.

You can freely look on our website's info - It shows prices of cars supplied from stock, of which there were many Imprezas - though we rarely do WRX's - Mostly rare STi's of the best quality available at the price, compared to other sources.

Consider this: If Newera is really as good as many customers say - why are some people coming up with damaging comments which are not true?

- Note that those people commenting negatively are just 2 individuals who have no experience of what we do and have never been Newera Customers.

If you will comment about another person's business PLEASE do make sure your facts are correct before making inaccurate and potentially damaging comments.

Surely people on Scoobynet would prefer to know what Newera really does for the consumer, not infactual information as recently seen posted by the above individual - implying the opposite.

Miguel.

Miguel Varella-Cid.
Newera - Japan Office.

[Edited by andrewdelvard - 2/7/2003 3:21:02 PM]
Old 02 October 2003, 08:41 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Beat me to it Andrew, I've just copied the same email ready to paste!

Tim

[Edited by Tim Bomford - 2/10/2003 8:42:43 AM]
Old 02 October 2003, 12:33 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

I have every confidence in Miguel and Newera, he is always joining in on members groups, where members are people he has supplied cars too, which certainly shows he has a lot of faith in his work, and comes more highly recommended than any other importer, and Miguel was always very informative and helpful about my car.

[Edited by SideShowBob - 2/10/2003 1:00:03 PM]