Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Lancaster Pangbourne or Mill Lane Basingstoke??

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2002, 12:11 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi Guys,

Im up for my first service soon and though Lancaster is very near me, I could use Mill Lane if needed.

Anyone used either or both?? which was better/cheaper??? experiences? Someone told me Mill Lane were cheaper.

cheers

Andy
Old 31 July 2002, 12:58 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had my P1 serviced for the 2 year one.

The front desk is ok if not a little laid back but the mechanic, not sure of his name was great, he installed by SS down pipe recently also and new a lot. If you need a loan vcar then you need to give a bit of notice.

I would say they were good, honest and did what they said they would, in fact I went in a said that I had a very slight clutch judder and without even asking, the service manager, (Charles), offered a new one under warranty...was I pleasantly surprised or what!!

I'd give them a try.

Ste
Old 31 July 2002, 01:03 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I live closer to Lancasters, but I have used Mill Lane for the 15k and every other service right up to and including the 45k (just approaching the 52½k) one. I've never had a problem with the service they have provided over the 18 months of Scooby ownership, and they have always managed to fit me in at short notice and arrange a loan car for me.

They are also cheaper than Lancasters I believe.
Old 31 July 2002, 01:15 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

They are cheaper than Lancasters but I am not at all convinced by there service. I like scott have been going there since I bought the car in March last year - recent trips going there have made me vow I won't go back again. Subaru 4 You for me now...........
Old 01 August 2002, 01:10 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Mill Lane have excellent service. Charlie @ Mill Lane deals with problems immediately whereas others require you to book days in advance.
Old 02 August 2002, 01:51 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa

Can you tell us more?
Old 02 August 2002, 02:15 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Minor service taking 2.5 hours (its just an oil and filter change!!!!!) - the last 30 minutes of which I'm left sitting looking at my car finished and parked up front waiting for a bill, no staff around - there was no-one else in the dealership so they weren't busy

How about having your rear brake discs replaced under warranty with new pads to notice how VERY badly they squeal at low speeds like an on/off squeak noise. It did this straight away after the brakes were fitted.
Went back - they checked (found nothing) and regreased the drivers side (I thought it was) got back home, was still doing it. Turns out was the passenger side. Went back at next service (again found nothing - didn't do anything to them this time although they admitted hearing the noise).

I was told its because I don't do enough miles on the car the pads and discs can get glazed and the rubbing together is the noise [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] 10,000 miles a year not enough miles?????? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
How can they say that when IT DID IT AS SOON AS THE BRAKES WERE FITTED - nothing to do with mileage. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I was simply fobbed off IMHO, seriously unimpressed [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and will never go back. I will sort the squeak out myself.
Old 03 August 2002, 12:32 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Well I booked into Mill Lane, this is why:

22500 mile service quote:

Lancaster Pangbourne - £220 quid sir. Just drop it in (5 mins from work).

Mill Lane - £109 quid!!!!!!!!!!! What, well I know you get what you pay for, but will Pangbourne do a doubly better job, er no. Even got a courtesy car from Mill Lane for the day.

Andy
Old 03 August 2002, 05:18 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Wotcher Scott & Jawa!

Well, I've never used Mill Lane so can't comment on them. Bought my car from Lancaster and they've done all servicing/warranty work on it since. Only hiccup was when IM refused to fix the clutch judder under warranty at 42,000 miles - still got discounted parts and free labour from Lancaster as the piston slap was done at the same time (under warranty!).

Chap to speak to in service is Conrad Boyer - very helpful. He knows the score re his competitor's prices and is always willing to compromise (and include SIDC discount). Case in point, my last service (67,500) was £105 all in. Couldn't get that bettered anywhere, even though my next door neighbour works for Listers!!

Just get a few quotes and hassle the buggers - the ones that don't budge, or who don't want to build up a customer relationship, don't get the work - simple as that!

Only gripe with Lancasters is they don't always clean the car when they've got it in. Always get a courtesy car though.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05 August 2002, 08:38 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Have tried both. Mill Lane is definetly cheaper and you get better service. Going there from now on.
Old 05 August 2002, 10:48 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Went for 20,000 service at Mill Lane, then 2 weeks later drove away in a new STi7