Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone 5s apps recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2014, 01:21 PM
thegeezer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 5s apps recommendations??

Just renewed my contract and got iPhone 5s. Can anyone recommend good apps for dash cam recording (preferably one you can disable some fields i.e. your speed! ) and for connecting (Bluetooth) to ODB-11 port and any needed connectors. Does anyone have any recommended apps for scoobys with iPhone?
suggestions/advice appreciated
Old 21 January 2014, 01:46 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recently bought "Car Camera DVR" version 1.2.7. by AppAnnex LLC. It cost a few quid - can't rem how much but a damn sight cheaper than a dedicated dashcam . You can switch fields on and off including speed, coordinates, heading, and time. You can also switch audio on & off. The video frame rate, clip length and compression are all configurable for control of the file sizes. It's a great app and the developer seem's a serious business with a long term future (for app updates). Another great app of theirs I use is "Speed Tracker" which is a full trip computer including mapping.

The "Car Camera DVR" app does not interface with your OBD for ECM info. I use a Vi Monitor for that.

I need a good solid mount for my iphone 5s to try to stop the vibration while at speed or on bumpy roads. A firm suspension set-up isn't the best foundation for quality dashcam recording.

Can you recommend an iPhone 5 windshield or dashboard mount?
Old 22 January 2014, 01:01 AM
thegeezer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Geds, thanks for info on dashcam app, will give that a try.
(byway can you still use phone or other apps while this running?)

As for mount, I am also looking ,two I'm considering are the "Just Mobile Xtand Go for iPhone " and "
iBOLT iProDock" both from mobilefun.co.uk for 29.99 but as for it coping with vibration I will have to wait and see, the iBolt "claims" to be vibration free (see
)
with previous dash-cam setups I to have been plagued with vibration and my suspension is stock, but as soon as you give it the beans the vibration increases effecting image! I have been advised its an exercise in experimentation moving mount to different positions, either on windscreen or dashboard to find the sweetest spot. I will post here my experience with whatever mount I purchase.
Old 22 January 2014, 07:04 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Regarding Car Camera DVR running in the background… If you exit the app to anything else it suspends the recording while you’re out then resumes recording automatically when you task switch back in. However if you receive a telephone call and answer it the app fails to resume recording after task switching back in (although it thinks it has resumed recording and indicates that it still is recording even though it isn’t.) I think this might be a bug. If however you reject the incoming call, the app successfully resumes recording. One other gripe is that the “Back” button at the top left corner of any screen can be unresponsive. You sometimes have to jab at it a few times to get it to react.

On holders…
I have also shortlisted the "Just Mobile Xtand Go for iPhone ". It looks good. And that’s the iPhone / universal version with the bottom clip (http://www.just-mobile.eu/iphone/xta...l#.Ut-HURDFK00), not the iPhone 5/5s version that doesn't have the bottom clip (http://www.just-mobile.eu/iphone/xta...e#.Ut-HJhDFK00). I think the iPhone 5/5s version is best suited to caseless iPhone 5/5s, and I don’t want to stick one of the button adapters onto the back of my case. Also I think the bottom clip on the universal version will add some support to reduce vibration for dashcam purposes.

The other case I had shortlisted is the “iottie Easy flex 2 & 3”. I think they are great mounts, very unobtrusive, however I’m fairly sure I remember seeing a YouTube review on the easy flex 2 specifically stating that vibration may make it less usable for dashcam purposes.

I hadn't come across the "iBOLT iProDock". It looks good - if a little bulky - but I guess that extra weight might help dampen the vibration. Definitely added to the shortlist to review further.

Selection of a mount for dashcam purposes is a little more difficult than for general or Sat Nav purposes due to the vibration issue. The dashcam mount will be my second mount. My first mount (for general use or Sat Nav purposes was easy. “Brodit Proclip, 653615” for 2007 Hawkeye RHD (http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...reza&year=2007) and the “Brodit iPhone 5 active holder for fixed installation, 527503”. This page has the various options available depending on whether you want fixed or CLA installation charging and whether you iPhone has a case or not… (http://www.brodit.com/searchList.htm...odel=iPhone+5S). This powers the phone, mounts it in front of the drivers’ side centre AC vent, and is sturdy and unobtrusive. The phone screen is however slightly obscured by the steering wheel though very liveable with.

I will switch between the two holders depending on purpose of use.
Old 01 February 2014, 05:05 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Default Car Cam DVR and Just Mobile Xtand Go

I went with the Just Mobile Xtand Go. Its very neat and unobtrusive. Mounts well but it is a little fiddly getting the phone in and out. There is some vibration over course bumps - like worn anti-skid, but overall I'm well pleased. Damn sight cheaper than a dedicated Dashcam. Here are some screen shots...

Old 02 February 2014, 10:03 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks good.