Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Phone engineers?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2013, 08:38 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Phone engineers?

Righty,

got broadband problems, had broadband connected a few weeks back now, incoming speed was 2.4mb/s (was promised 22) with upload speed of 0.4mb/s

now they did something in the exchange which brought it up to 7.2mb/s, but then my phone stopped working.

they came out again on friday, and have now got 22.6mb/s coming into the house, but with my laptop plugged directly into the home hub (bt broadband) I am only getting 7.4mb/s DL and 0.9Mb/s upload.

Is the issue still with the line or the home hub or what?

I dont really understand how phones work its not something i have ever looked into, i know the hub will slow the speed a little but not by over half?
Old 02 October 2013, 09:34 AM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you connecting your laptop wireless or cable? How many other computers/phones are connected to it! There is some theory that wireless routers can interfere with wireless landline telephones in the house they claim! They should set the router up past channel 4 I believe!

During peak times your broadband gets capped, so depends on time of day you have tried it!

In your phone socket you have 2 connections! The testers connection should/will give you a constant speed on your broadband, this is what I have done in my remote village as I was only getting 1mb promised atleast 5mb,so changed it over into the testers socket and has worked so far!
Old 02 October 2013, 09:44 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Testers socket? I only have 1 socket on mine?

And connected to the router with a cable to perform a speed test and numerous times of day. hasnt changed.
Old 02 October 2013, 10:00 AM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Unscrew the front on the socket on the wall, 2 little screws on front and take off the plastic plate behind it is another socket you can plug the router/phone all into! This should of been used by the technician who came to the house!

when they changed you over on the exchange they could of put you on a busier line! But doesn't sound like it if you got a test showing a higher speed! I would phone them and see if they have processed it and have allocated you your speed as they can just cap it if they think you don't nessicerily need that speed!

Another thing to ask/check is if you have the latest router they provide as many if them stop working or just won't allow the higher speeds. I have had this same problem!
Old 02 October 2013, 10:11 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I shall have a looksy for that, thanks

I should have the latest router and the busier line thing wouldnt make sense if the speeds got better,

Just spoke to the phone engineer and he says it wont be anything i the exhange etc it should be bt capping it them selves
Old 02 October 2013, 08:00 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

if this is not infinity you shouldnt get that higher speed anyway and speed quoted is up to not exactly has this depends on many factors eg internal wiring interference etc

Last edited by shooter007; 02 October 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02 October 2013, 08:16 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Home hubs have a habit of overheating, which reduces their throughput, switch it off, allow it to cool, then start it up and try again, check if your connection speed has improved.

You would do well to chuck the home hub anyhow and replace it with a decent router.
Old 02 October 2013, 08:43 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have sky was told if get 8 was only getting about 3 so I phoned them and sent a bt engineer a few times later and after sky saying they couldn't control the speed they eventually admitted they could now I get a constant 7.5/8 cheeky gits
Old 03 October 2013, 10:03 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Right,

got to the bottom of this, got 23mb/s coming into the property, by running my laptop in safe mode i get a full 21mb/s

So what programmes will i need to be deleting?

I dont have much on here if i am honest, my torrent downloader, and AV and emails, now even when closed would the programmes be restricting my speed?
Old 03 October 2013, 05:16 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Torrents would if it uploading and downloading on the back ground.

Delete your anti virus and install MS essentials
Old 03 October 2013, 05:32 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

To close your torrent program you have to go into task manager to close it, it sits in back ground uploading/seeding your items!

Virus check the comp Incase you have spam programs leeching on your internet!