Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Who's got a PS2 and an X-Box for comparison

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2002, 10:24 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Had my 1st taste of Halo tonight

Got the feeling I need to get an x-box now, I know the debate could go on for ever, so has anyone tried both the PS2 and X-Box for a period of time and got views on which ones "better" than the other.

I know Halo's not out on the PS2....(yet?)

[Edited by mega_stream - 5/22/2002 10:25:43 PM]
Old 22 May 2002, 11:36 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I would advise you to go to someones house where you can play both back to back and then decide for yourself.

Theres been plenty of fierce arguments here before about which is better and why (havent there daz ) i had both at the sametime (and gamecube) and choose to keep the xbox and sell the others as i simply stopped playing them when the xbox arrived and havent missed them since i sold them.

but at the end of the day its what you prefer and how you rate the games on each system and whether YOU enjoy them.

In an ideal world i would probably get another ps2 as there are some games on it that are the best of there genre, but then my little office gets awfully crowded as i'd want one of everything almost

ps2 - gt3, gta3
xbox - halo, rallisport challenge
pc - unreal tournament, dungeon siege, championship manager 3
gamecube - erm none at the mo.
Old 23 May 2002, 09:08 AM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

Hmmm..

Only thing I would say is that all the good xbox games are getting ported to PC anyway.. so if you have a half decent PC you might consider its not worth buying an Xbox. The downside of this is I doubt you'd be able to play online like you should be able to do with an Xbox over the next year.. that is.. if you can get broadband and want to pay about £10 a month for the privilege...
Old 23 May 2002, 09:17 AM
Kaygeebee
Scooby Newbie

I myself have both... owned the PS2 for a while but was totally sold on HALO before it even came out.. no regrets either since buying/playing it.

Wouldn't take one console over the other at the moment, although I do think the power the XBOX has will make any multi-format game a must on the XBOX over my PS2.

Also, I get my PS2 games cheap (20p cheap if ya know what I mean) so I won't be moving it on any time soon for that very reason.

KGB.

Old 23 May 2002, 09:19 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The only catch being sparks, that games like gotham and halo are on signed agreements to stay on xbox only for X period of time or indefinately, so that means if they ever come out it will be a long time afterwards, also would take a monster pc and gfx card to get halo running well on a pc.
Old 23 May 2002, 09:46 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Xbox for me. I had a PS2 and it just sat there gathering dust. The Xbox is the first console since the snes which I've been totally addicted to. As for Halo going onto to PS2, that's never going to happen simply because the PS2 hasn't got the power and it would have to be totally butchered to run on it.
Old 23 May 2002, 10:27 AM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

Ptholt: Yes they wont appear at the same time, MS just announced Rallisport will be on PC before Xmas.

I take your point and if you are a "must have" person you need an Xbox so you can be "first" to play the games.. however £200 + £45 per game is alot to pay just to play it a few months before PC owners.

Halo wont ever get to PS2, same as GT1/2/3 GTA wont ever get to xbox.

No xbox games I have seen/played really interest me.. if that changes then I *might* be inclined to buy one. Currently waiting for PS2 to come down so I can buy one with GTA3, there are a couple of other games I like on PS2 as well.. But I dont want to pay £200 for it as it would appear we are to see a price drop soon.

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2002, 10:32 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

They are currently working on rallisport 2, a chap i know from sweden was employed about 3 months ago to start dong the car modelling on the project.

I would expect things like halo to arrive on pc, but probably not till halo 2 is due out (or announced).Dunno why, just a feeling i get.

am gonna be trying gta3 on pc this weekend, not expecting anything different than the ps2 version, after all why would a developer spend more money re-writing when the game will sell on its name alone and still make the same money....

Old 23 May 2002, 12:54 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

First of all GTA3 is coming to Xbox although I doubt they'll do much extra to it. Now for some reason everyone seems to think that because a game's on Xbox it's going to be as good on the PC, that's if it ever gets to PC. Unfortunatly the way the games industry works is unless a game is made for PC then generally the rule of thumb is that the port to pc won't be as good as the console original. The reason in in most cases console games don't sell well on pc's. Because of this developers won't bother making to much effort with the port and so the pc suffers for it. If I was you I'd forget about waiting around for months for a game that isn't even guaranteed to come out on the pc and even it does might not be as good. Just go out and buy yourself an xbox.
Old 23 May 2002, 01:13 PM
NumptyScrub
Scooby Regular

Disclaimer: I don't have the full specs on the Xbox to hand, so some of this may be incorrect...

Xbox ports to the PC will be nigh on impossible to bodge, even for software houses that don't want to make an effort. Isn't the hardware in an Xbox simply a PC in a different case?

All they need to do is play with the controller code to allow keyboard/mouse/PC joypad ie use DirectInput, err... like they already do on the Xbox (AFAIK, since it runs on a cutdown Windows core with DirectX). It may require a re-compile of the code for a full Win32 platform, but not much else.

And as far as getting it to run at a decent speed on a PC, if you have a 2GHz CPU with a Geforce4 you have more computational and graphical power available than the console itself, so the problem is the other way around...

Personally I'll just wait for the PC releases of the Xbox games I like, rather than buy an Xbox to play them on.

Derek
Old 23 May 2002, 01:50 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

the os on xbox is cut down win2k so thats no probs.

The graphics chip tho is primarly geforce 4 BUT with custom chips that will not appear till geforce 5 on pc cards.

So you will not get some of the detail texturing and bumping etc.
Old 23 May 2002, 02:25 PM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

First of all GTA3 is coming to Xbox although I doubt they'll do much extra to it.
Not according to the software house who write/own the GTA brand.

http://www.eurogamer.net/news.php?id=21005
Old 23 May 2002, 03:38 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
John,

Get an Xbox, I preferred it big time when Pete had both the XBox and the PS2 sitting on his desk, Git!! - Xbox was far superior imho.
Old 23 May 2002, 04:02 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Well I'm no programmer I'm just a humble artist but I know for a fact that programmers really hate converting for the pc, so I'm guessing it can't be that simple.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:51 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Cool

Emm, think I'm gonna be getting the xbox then

I like the idea of optical output to go into my 5.1 Denon amp, will sound awesome on my KEF's

Cheers for the info

All thats left now is to convince my wife...

Want a cuppa tea lovey?
Old 23 May 2002, 10:51 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

which denon amp have you got mega?

im looking at getting the 2802 or 3802.

Was also very tempted by the kef eggs as well
Old 23 May 2002, 11:43 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Convince the wife by saying its also a top notch DVD player

Also, comparing against the PC is missing the point. I've got a pretty good spec PC and like playing all the top games written for it, especially online FPS at which the PC excels.

But I got a Xbox because you can have a game running within a minute of switch on with no compatability issues using dedicated controllers on a big TV with some mates or my son. It's more of a social thing than crouched over a keyboard on your tod.

Many console games are written for this social environment and although would port to a PC they simply would not be as accessable or as much fun.

And at £200 its cheaper than a decent graphic card so what are u waiting for?

btw. just got my free game bundle from MS - Rallisport & Oddworld are superb... nice 1 Bill.
Old 24 May 2002, 07:23 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pete I've got the AVR2801 (this years 2802) and the KEF 5.1 speaker package.

One heck of a kick-*** system for the size of them
All my mates couldn't believe all that sound was coming outa those tiny speakers

Richard, already got a DVD player, so can't use that one
I've struck a deal, finish the baby's room this weekend and I'm "allowed" to get one
You betcha... no pub for me 2nite, I'm decorating lads

Old 24 May 2002, 07:49 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Nice setup mega, thats exactly what i want to change to.

My lounge is currently full of huge floor standers and a big sub, but i just dont need it in that size room (I suffered from big ***** syndrome when i was buying it and went for size).

finding a decent price on kef eggs is a mare!
Old 24 May 2002, 08:54 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Pete

If your interested in a set, mail me and I'll see what I can do
Old 24 May 2002, 11:14 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Mega-stream how much did you get that for?