ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

PS2 / GT3 - need URGENT help on what 2 buy tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2001, 06:36 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

well last weekend after seeing you all post about how good GT3 is I was off to buy a PS2.

then after ordering a quickshift from my local dealer and various other things i decided i was being silly and would stick with Colin McRae 2 on the pc.

other ½ now wants a PS2 though (not really for GT3 mind!) and i saw GT3 running on a widescreen TV in Dixons - wow ! damn, thats means i need a bloody new tv to !!

so i need to know from you console peeps what i'm looking for ? last console i owned was an Atari VCS circa 1980 !!!

seen so many different offers etc today from EB / Game / WH Smiths / Dixons etc etc

i really want someone to tell me the definitive force feedback wheel i should buy ? seen a Ferrari one and a Logitech one (£100 bundled with GT3 - is this good ?)and a few others. my pc sidewinder is not USB so it wont work will....unless you can buy converters ?

cheapest for the PS2 is £269.50 with NO games. around £299.00 with 1 game - various choices but i want GT3.

what memory cards / controllers and how many do i need ? seen 4mb upto 24mb cards ?

Can you plug 2 wheels into a PS2 for use in GT3 and other games ?

loads of questions, hope someone can help as we wanna go shopping tomorrow and then i need time to set it up and play b4 loads of people arrive at 4:30pm for a bbq

i wanna see if its as good as everyone says.......the serious test is will it stop me from playing Counter-Strike ?

thanks

steve
Old 28 July 2001, 08:12 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,

Go get one I'm on my second unit now, I was, erm, naughty and bought one on release day to sell.

The second one was bought because I saw Formula 1 2001 running on a PS2 in PC World, plus I knew GT3 wasn't far away.

There are also some other really cool titles coming out, look out for Combat Ace, it is simply stunning.

As for your questions...

Where to get one?

I would go to Game, they will do a full refund within 10 days if you don't like the thing, this also applied to games so it's a great way of try-before-you-buy really.

Force Feedback... dunno! my boss got the wheel and GT3 bundle and says it's great but I haven't seen it.

Memory card, you will need at least one PS2 card, just to store your cars and stuff of course

As for stopping you playing counter-strike, I dunno! I'm quite into Operation Flashpoint but GT3 is *special*, go get it, you won't regret it.

hope it helps!
Matt.
Old 28 July 2001, 08:18 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

We've had a PS2 since March, buy now pay in January.

It is a DVD player too, as u prob know. Alexander plays PS1 games and the odd bit of PS2 stuff, never played a DVD.

Counter Strike says it will be 39.99 wasted on GT3 when I can pick it up later for less when the hype dies down, but hey, I can change my mind if people keep shooting me!

Edited to say you can have up to 6 players I beleive if you have the i-link thingy, though quite how it works, dunno. Oh and budget for the 8mb memory card from Sony, £50 ish if IRC.

[This message has been edited by BarryK (edited 28 July 2001).]
Old 28 July 2001, 08:25 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Memory card is 20 quid i think !

I bought a gizmo from HMV to allow me to play any region DVD on it today for 19.99 works a treat and lets me play region 1 disks, useful as i only have region 1 dvd's plug the thing into memory card slot, boot from a cd, choose the region, change to the dvd of choice, choose play DVD jobs a good un tried several disks and all worked faultlessly !
Old 28 July 2001, 09:16 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

thanks guys

anyone help re which force feedback wheel ?

steve
Old 28 July 2001, 10:57 PM
ascender
Scooby Newbie

I bought GT3 and the wheel and am very impressed by it. The Logitech wheel is similar to the one they did on the PC which always wins awards. The good thing is that as well as feeling that you are fighting against the car on bends, the steering goes light when it loses traction or the back end starts to go etc. allowing you to control the car more instinctively.

Definitely worth the money. Only downside is it has clamps to be used on a desk - many people have had to work around this if their PS2 is in the living room for example. Also, a USB extension cable might be useful as the cable you get is quite short.

Enjoy!
Old 28 July 2001, 11:06 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Question

ascender : which wheel did u buy ? logitech one ?

thats my problem - where the **** do i clamp a wheel in the lounge !!!

bazza - gr8 technical description m8 - i-link thingy i'll go in the shop tomorrow m8 and ask the shop person for one of those i-link thingies they get 'oop north

mattski - u played cs then much m8 ?

anymore info b4 lunchtime tomorrow gr8ly appreciated.

ta

steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Perriam (edited 28 July 2001).]
Old 28 July 2001, 11:40 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just wanted to let you know that I have a Ferrari Force Feedback for the PC with a USB connector, and it works with the PS2 as well.

OK so it was 90 quid when I bought it for the PC, but it still saved me shelling out another 50 quid for the PS2 one. I think you can use two steering wheels as it offers you the option to configure them....I just don't have two wheels
Old 29 July 2001, 11:03 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

thanks guys

off in an hour or so to trawl town

saw the logitech wheel + gt3 for £100 yesterday in dixons.

unfortunately my £90 pc wheel is gameport not usb

cheers

steve
Old 29 July 2001, 12:09 PM
ascender
Scooby Newbie

Sorry - it was the official GT3 wheel (Logitech) and game package I bought. There was someone on the Evo board complaining about another type of wheel which clinched it for me - apparently he was having problems with force feedback.
Old 29 July 2001, 03:52 PM
Marc Sawaya
Scooby Newbie

I hope everything is working out for you, keep us updated! Who said that the Memory cards were 50 pounds? (sorry, us dern yanks have no idea how to type the symbol) The Sony one's are $35 over here.

So what did you end up buying (how many controllers, any i-link thingy? )?
Old 29 July 2001, 04:27 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

purchased

ps2, 8mb mem card, gt3, logitech force feedback wheel, extra dual shock controller and dvd remote control for £380.

oh and bought a couple of dvd's as well to watch - crouching tiger, hidden dragon and the art of war

no time to play though cos we have 5 people coming for a bbq in 20 minutes

god i hpoe it starts to rain so they go home earlier

now i gotta work out wot other games are good and start buying PS2 magazines ! and then wot dvd movies are worth buying as well !!

cheers for everyones input.

steve
Old 29 July 2001, 07:09 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

I actually can't remember what the 8mb memory card cost, but it was a lot more than the PS1 style one, which you will also need to save PS1 games, they won't save to the PS2 memory card.

I thought up £50 to make Scrumpy Jack here sweat a bit.

Haven't you got a kitchen/stove? I'll bet you're popular with the neighbours, bloody smokin barbecue every five minutes. Ha ha.

Hope u enjoy the PS2, let me know wht movies are worth watchin, or if you get any blueies.
Old 29 July 2001, 08:36 PM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

Talking

And what's the betting we don't hear from Steve for a while......
Old 29 July 2001, 09:02 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

bazza - u uncouth northerner i dont drink scrumpy ! but i do like a nice devonshire cream t soz, cant stay tonite - doing a bbq sod the neighbours, i like bbqing ! only got those 2 dvd's so far. blueies ??? dunno wot u mean m8

simon r - maybe m8 - if no one sees me playing for STi on CS for a while you'll no y lucky for the rest of STi i've organised a few practice servers - just not told anyone else when they are though !!

bazza,c u tomorrow maybe to kick your butt on countermaps ?

steve
Old 29 July 2001, 11:05 PM
MAJ-R
Scooby Newbie

also did u know you can get your ps2 chipped to play 'backups'
Old 30 July 2001, 09:14 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Question

chipped to play 'backups' ?
Old 30 July 2001, 09:36 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

You honest old soul Mr P.

Rearrange the phrase "copies games illegal of", these are usually genuinely taken as backups.

This time next year we'll all be millionaires.

Might get on tonight, not sure yet. ICQ will be on, don't know why it disturbed CS yesterday (was it?) it normally wait still I check when in DND mode.