Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IP security camera viewing help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2013, 07:33 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IP security camera viewing help needed please

Hi,

Here's the problem, i have a bt router in my pub to which i have 3 ip cameras connected and working fine, i have the viewing software to view them fine but when i leave the pub and connect to another wifi connection i cant view the cameras ??,,
what do i need to do to enable this to happen

steve.
Old 18 June 2013, 08:08 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

What are you viewing them on ?

What have you done so far ?

Does port forwarding ring any bells ?
Old 18 June 2013, 08:11 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

You need to find out you IP address and connect through your software or browser. Go to google and type in what's my IP address. You will probably need to configure your router to point the port at your CCTV recorder via routing and remote access.
Old 18 June 2013, 09:08 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

You will need to know your public IP address i.e. where your connecting to from "outside" your network. Your router should give this information if you login to it or as already mentioned use www.whatismyip.com.

However, one thing you will also need to know is does your internet account have a fixed/static public IP address assigned to it, if it doesn't then if your ineternet connection drops it could pickup a new IP address when it reconnects meaning if your out and want to connect you will not know what IP it's currently on. Some ISP's give fixed addresses by default, others want to charge you for it.

Again, you could do whatismyip, take a note of the address, then reboot router, run whatismyip again to see if the address has changed.

If it's a static address then you just need to setup the firewall to allow in the relevant port(s) and also NAT the port(s) through to the internal IP address of your camera equipment.

Last edited by stiscooby; 18 June 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 18 June 2013, 09:39 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

port forwarding
Old 19 June 2013, 08:21 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Don't you need to set up a VPN unless the software very specifically allows remote access?

Otherwise the camera will be at 192.168.1.x and connecting to your public IP address will do nothing as you still want to able to connect to the remote cameras?
Old 19 June 2013, 01:19 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

As stated above, you need to port forward from the firewall to the cctv. The CCTV manual will tell you which ports to forward. You could do with setting a static IP or DHCP reservation internally to ensure the cctv address always remains the same.

Once that is done, as you are most probably on dynamic addressing by your ISP, you will need to sign up with a dynamic dns provider. These will give you a dns name, that (hopefully) your equipment will keep up to date when the address changes. Look for Dynamic DNS in either the router or cctv config to see which providers are supported. Most will provide the service free if you're not too choosy about the name!

Oh - and make sure you set an access password on the cctv, as everyone in the world will be able to access it!

Last edited by phoenixgold; 19 June 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01 July 2013, 01:53 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Follow the above re Port Forwarding and DDNS.

However, I have had massive problems with trying to setup an IP webcam using a BT Router - It just will not work and yet, when I try it from my TalkTalk router from home it works fine.

BT have moved some users onto something called CG-NAT which is a system which allows BT to share your external IP address with other users which can interfere with port forwarding. In theory, DDNS should solve that although, apparently, you can opt out. https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/6434

Good Luck and if you manage to solve it let me know.
Old 01 July 2013, 04:52 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

After days of head scratching we ditched the bthub3 router and replaced it with a net gear router and after setting the ports it worked first time. the bt router let us set the ports but it would not work for some reason,
The moral of the story is BT Routers suck!
Old 03 July 2013, 08:37 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior