Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One for Android users

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2013, 12:09 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for Android users

Action Launcher Pro: http://goo.gl/xwr4V

A nice replacement launcher for ICS and upwards, it's lightweight and jolly useful.

But the two features that have me raving about it to anyone who will listen (and a lot of people who don't want to): shutters and covers.

A cover is a folder of apps where you have specified a 'default'. Pressing the folder opens the default app, swiping up across the folder opens the folder to reveal all the apps in that folder. An example in my case is a 'utilities' folder in which I have a calculator, unit converter and so on. I have the calc as my default app so I can open it in one press, but if I want to get to the other apps I swipe over the icon and it opens the folder as a normal folder.

A shutter is an app with a linked widget. This means a swipe across the app icon opens the widget for that app without the widget having to be active on the desktop. My example is the email app - I've attached the email widget to it as a 'shutter', so a press on the icon opens the email app, and a swipe on the icon opens the email widget.

You can also nest shutters inside covers - so for the phone dialler a press of the icon goes straight to the phone dialler, a swipe lets me get to the contact list, and two swipes lets me get to my preferred contact (my wife), all from a single icon in the dock.

Seems to be pretty compatible with most overlays (Sense, Touchwiz) according to the reviews, but I have Nexus devices and can't speak from experience. It's only a couple of quid, and if you don't like it and uninstall it within 15 minutes you'll be automatically refunded.
Old 03 July 2013, 01:13 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Apex Launcher, the fastest and smoothest launcher out of all of them and very customisable.
Old 03 July 2013, 01:39 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Must admit I hadn't tried that - tried Nova and Go Launcher and wasn't a fan, but a colleague showed me Action Launcher and I rather liked it. Still, that's the beauty - change it however you wish
Old 03 July 2013, 01:45 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I used to use Go launcher but I thought it got a little bloated.

Switched to Nova and have been very happy so far. Will check out Action Launcher though.
Old 03 July 2013, 07:29 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Been running Nova for a while and have had no issues.
Old 03 July 2013, 10:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Holo seems to be the one of choice,

however i think its a custom rom related root thing,

That said if i recall the code, has just been made open source

Mart