Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Buying website address

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2013, 07:07 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying website address

What's the best/safest way to do this?

Never done it before and don't want to use a site to buy an address, that isn't secure, or going to charge me a fortune when they shouldn't.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:13 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I use VidaHost, I've got over 90 addresses with them, absolutely reliable and building a new purpose built UK secure server unit this very moment.
Heart Internet are also reliable.

https://www.vidahost.com/
http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/
Old 24 May 2013, 07:44 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I use 123-reg. Cheap, easy to use control panel and no problems. Just be sure to untick all the stuff they try to sell you that you don't need.

I host my websites elsewhere though; always keep domain hosting and website hosting separate for greater control.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:51 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I use 123-reg. Cheap, easy to use control panel and no problems. Just be sure to untick all the stuff they try to sell you that you don't need.

I host my websites elsewhere though; always keep domain hosting and website hosting separate for greater control.
+1 They are cheap, easy to use and I've never had any problems with buying domains from them.

However they are **** at hosting and their support is next to useless so don't use them for that

It's pretty much the same story for Fasthosts if you want to try them too.

It's fairly easy to move domain names between domain registrars too, so if you ever do get a problem you're not stuck with who you purchased it from and can move to someone else at any time.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:52 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, though slow down a bit with the hosting buddy! Haven't a clue about ANY of this, but I doubt I'll be getting the site setup yet, due to costs involved.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:56 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Haha no probs, it can be quite daunting at first!

I run my own web design company so if you need any advice just stick a post up or drop me a PM
Old 24 May 2013, 08:04 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Yola. It's probably more expensive than some at £17 a year for the bronze package, but it's very easy to use and you're able to make great looking websites using their website builder.
Old 24 May 2013, 09:04 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Nice one, many thanks guys. Web address has now been purchased for 10 years and just under £42.

I ordered business cards through VistaPrint and seen they do DIY websites. I'm only needing a fairly basic retail store, so is that sort of thing OK, or am i as well waiting and saving up the money to do it right?
Old 24 May 2013, 09:15 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Nice one, many thanks guys. Web address has now been purchased for 10 years and just under £42.

I ordered business cards through VistaPrint and seen they do DIY websites. I'm only needing a fairly basic retail store, so is that sort of thing OK, or am i as well waiting and saving up the money to do it right?
Do not use VistaPrint for your website, they will only let you choose a web address that includes their name, you never get ownership of that address.

It gets complicated for beginners, retail stores need to have a shopping cart facility.
I make my own retail stores using ZenCart software, there are easier cart software such as Open Cart, but I can alter Zen to my liking.
Don't rush into it, look for independant info on the web before commiting.
Old 24 May 2013, 09:35 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I think who you choose should depend on how you see your business working.

For example, there are loads of places that will let you build a good looking, relatively cheap to purchase and functional shop, but having a good shop that no-one goes to is of no use to you! Can you say what market it is for, and do you have an idea of how you expect customers to find your site? Are they going to be existing customers where you don't have to do any form of marketing to get them to use your site? Are you completely new and will rely purely on people searching Google to find you? Do you want to market your shop in multiple places (e.g. do you need your goods to also appear on Ebay/Amazon/etc..).

A lot of questions I know (sorry!) but it's something you should think of first as you'll obviously get recommendations from people who have used a website that let them sell on line and it has worked well for them. It doesn't however mean it is the right one to choose for you.
Old 24 May 2013, 09:57 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Ah i see. Thanks for the info.
Old 24 May 2013, 10:02 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
To be honest, I think who you choose should depend on how you see your business working.

For example, there are loads of places that will let you build a good looking, relatively cheap to purchase and functional shop, but having a good shop that no-one goes to is of no use to you! Can you say what market it is for, and do you have an idea of how you expect customers to find your site? Are they going to be existing customers where you don't have to do any form of marketing to get them to use your site? Are you completely new and will rely purely on people searching Google to find you? Do you want to market your shop in multiple places (e.g. do you need your goods to also appear on Ebay/Amazon/etc..).

A lot of questions I know (sorry!) but it's something you should think of first as you'll obviously get recommendations from people who have used a website that let them sell on line and it has worked well for them. It doesn't however mean it is the right one to choose for you.
It's a certain brand of golf equipment and accessories and i'm atm marketing my stuff through ebay mostly, with a link directly to my FB page. i also have a twitter account, but don't use it much. I WILL have a shop relatively soon. I have business cards and will send these out with every order and will also visit all the local golf courses/shops to spread word. I hope Google will help all other people. I send stuff round the world, so it needs to really have language options too ideally.

I need all the help i can get, so I'm very appreciative of any help i get.
Old 24 May 2013, 10:31 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, I think the easiest and best way to start would be to setup an eBay shop?

I'd say that eBay is one of the first places that people search for things (it is for me anyway).
Old 24 May 2013, 10:54 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
It's a certain brand of golf equipment and accessories and i'm atm marketing my stuff through ebay mostly, with a link directly to my FB page. i also have a twitter account, but don't use it much. I WILL have a shop relatively soon. I have business cards and will send these out with every order and will also visit all the local golf courses/shops to spread word. I hope Google will help all other people. I send stuff round the world, so it needs to really have language options too ideally.

I need all the help i can get, so I'm very appreciative of any help i get.
Are you going to be a sole distributor, or will you have lots of competition?

In either case, I'd say that a vast majority of your sales will come from customers searching the web and most probably first time customers. You'll obviously (hopefully?) get repeat business if you're competitive on price and deliver a good service but I'd concentrate mainly on getting customers onto the website/buying the goods by giving your products as much exposure as possible.

For me, to get the exposure, I would make sure the shop has 3 or 4 minimum requirements:

1. A Google Merchant Data Feed - This will automatically send whatever products you add onto your site into the Google's Shopping section (i.e. those results you see when you search Google for a particular product).

2. The ability to list products on the Amazon Market Place. I'm not sure if Amazon have the ability like Google do to look directly at a data feed from your site, but if not you can
definately do it manually definately do it manually

3. The same ability as #2 but to link into eBay.

4. Voucher Codes - if you can add voucher codes to get x% off a product, you can also open up to a new audience by posting deals on places like HotUkDeals, Facebook etc.

There's probably loads more to be honest, but having those will give you a platform to reach a lot of people. Unfortunately for you most people will probably go with whoever is the cheapest, so you may lose out if you are not, but if you can at least be competitive then hopefully it will work out well for you.

Last edited by MDS_WRX; 24 May 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 24 May 2013, 11:45 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

My biggest benefit is that no-one sells this brand exclusively, so i'm already winning in that regard.

Some places sell the basic off the shelf stuff, but that equates to around 5% of what's really available.

I don't REALLY think Amazon is a place i would advertise on, but i definitely need Google coverage.