Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT unlimited broadband - truly unlimited?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2013, 06:49 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BT unlimited broadband - truly unlimited?

I'm with newnet just now, been a very reliable service for the last 5 or so yrs. however, our family broadband usage now means newnet service is getting too expensive. I've looked at the options and as our exchange is limited to 5 mb max it seems to me that BTs unlimited service looks the best deal balanced against customer feedback and complaints.

Now I thought unlimited meant unlimited, but when applying for my mac code, newnet pointed out that the BT unlimited isn't actually truly unlimited.

Anyone have any experience of BTs unlimited service, do they throttle back or disconnect users?
Old 04 April 2013, 01:55 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
I'm with newnet just now, been a very reliable service for the last 5 or so yrs. however, our family broadband usage now means newnet service is getting too expensive. I've looked at the options and as our exchange is limited to 5 mb max it seems to me that BTs unlimited service looks the best deal balanced against customer feedback and complaints.

Now I thought unlimited meant unlimited, but when applying for my mac code, newnet pointed out that the BT unlimited isn't actually truly unlimited.

Anyone have any experience of BTs unlimited service, do they throttle back or disconnect users?
Yeah they have something called a fair usage policy. Basically they say the package you buy is unlimited, but if you say hit over so many Gigabytes of data a month then you will get a warning from them to cut back.
Currently on Infinity 2 (Fibre from the cabinet) and on the 70MB Down and 20MB Upload speed package. Touch wood had no complaints or warnings from them. But be warned of the underhand way they charge you. For example I was paying £39.99 a month for BB and Phone. This year that went up to £54.00 a Month. Why? Because of the phone package and line rental changes applied. They are a sod to deal with when that happens. And they say they will change your bill if paying too little or too much. Yeah right! Have had to manually change this myself online via my account and got the bill down to £45.00 a month at the moment.
Old 04 April 2013, 02:43 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Fibre from the cab? Didnt know openreach had started
Old 04 April 2013, 06:21 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I download about 100gb a month and haven't had any issues with BT Unlimited
Old 04 April 2013, 08:55 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

I do over a terabyte a month with PlusNet using their FTTC offering for £20 a month + phone. Might be worth looking beyond BT unless youy want their TV stuff.
Old 04 April 2013, 08:59 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/pr...r-usage-policy

taken from the site.

A fair usage policy is a way of restricting your broadband usage if it's having a significant impact on other users. This is sometimes referred to as a usage policy, or traffic management policy.

BT Broadband (Visit www.BT.com) is not the only provider to have a usage policy - the majority of providers have some kind of fair usage or traffic management policy in place which applies to some or all of their packages.

If you've signed up for a BT package that's advertised as "unlimited", you might be concerned about your fair usage policy and how it affects the way you can use your broadband connection. However, with BT Broadband you do not need to worry. If you're on any of BT's unlimited packages they won't place any speed restrictions on your service no matter how much you upload or download, even at peak times.
Old 04 April 2013, 10:38 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BT are *****, its not unlimited, you leech lots and get put on Naughty boys list, and eventually get throttled, maybe look at PlusNet or the other vendors, BT mask it behind Inidan helplines and normal crap.

Virgin all the way
Old 04 April 2013, 10:59 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I moved from BT unlimited a few years ago now after issues but it seems they have altered their unlimited to mean it now,
I went TT Business for fixed IP and fully unlimited for £30 a month inc line rental etc
Old 04 April 2013, 11:20 AM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

I had BT broadband for 5 years and it was ok in the early days but they got right arsey about stuff later on.

I used to "like" my Xbox games and got a warning for my download amounts which apparently peaked at 900GB one month so they said. I was obviously put on the naughty boy list as my download speeds never recovered after that.

Now on Sky unlimited which is fine for my now modest needs
Old 05 April 2013, 10:44 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You get the same kind of crap with Virgin Media, I'm on 50meg and it was totally unlimited when I signed up, now they throttle by 40% for five hours once you hit about 5 gig.

At my connection speed this takes about 10 minutes or so of full speed usage.
Old 05 April 2013, 11:02 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I have a 120mb connection and download at night when fair usage isn't accounted for 40% reduction isn't too bad on my connection though
Old 05 April 2013, 11:50 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I only get throttled at 4.30 to 8, im 120mb Virgin. XL

the rest is unlimited. I do remember 50mb though being like that. Hats off to them though my connection has be rock solid for years, pings in the 30ms
Old 05 April 2013, 12:37 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Im with sky, been with BT, Virgin/Telewest. Sky's unlimited is pretty good. Ive downloaded god knows how much (i use the PC at home to backup all the office files, approx 10Gig a day) plus my own usage plus the missus. We're always watching youtube vids or iplayer. no problems. Expensive at £54, but thats the TV as well (no movies/kids/music/docs) plus phone (weekend and evenings free). 35megabytes download, 1megabyte upload
Old 05 April 2013, 02:31 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

God, some of you lot get great speeds!

The Internet speed where I live is really slow in comparison. 3Mbps download and 700kbs upload maximum.
The 3G on my mobile phone with 3 is actually twice as fast!!
Old 05 April 2013, 02:48 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungY25
God, some of you lot get great speeds!

The Internet speed where I live is really slow in comparison. 3Mbps download and 700kbs upload maximum.
The 3G on my mobile phone with 3 is actually twice as fast!!
And to think I've just been moaning.
Old 05 April 2013, 03:11 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I left BT years ago due to the extra hidden charges they hit me with every month. With Talk Talk Business now and have been for a few years and still no complaints about them so far.
Old 05 April 2013, 03:52 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give BT a go. I've looked further into their unlimited service and apparently there was a change to the service in feb this year and the service is now supposed to be truly unlimited. We're not huge users, last month was approaching 100gb after a new gaming PC turned up....

I hate BT with a passion, but some of the feedback for the other suppliers is pretty dire as well, it's only an 18 month contract and BT work out cheapest for me so ill see how it goes.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:50 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been with BT for a 3 years or so now. So long as you keep an eye on what offers are available for new customers and know when your contract period is up, you can keep your bills down.

For example, new customers might get six months at £10, then it goes up to £14.99 for the rest of the contract period, which is typically 12 months. So you ring them up at 12 months and get them to put your price down to that of a new customer again. Works every time for me. I'm currently getting phone, unlimited calls, vision and broadband for £50 a month. I know that I can reduce this to £43 a month as I've already asked them if I sign up for another 12 months, but I want to see how they are going to pitch Vision Sport before taking the plunge.

I've not got fibre where I live, so my D/L speed is around 20Mbit/s, which I can max out day and night with no complaints so far.
Old 06 April 2013, 07:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kernel
I do over a terabyte a month with PlusNet using their FTTC offering for £20 a month + phone. Might be worth looking beyond BT unless youy want their TV stuff.
I believe PlusNet is wholly owned by BT
Old 07 April 2013, 10:41 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been with bt previously and they are poor , I'm now with Plusnet and I've been more than happy with their first class service.
Old 08 April 2013, 09:02 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I believe PlusNet is wholly owned by BT
Indeed that is true but they seem to operate completely independently for now so in that respect they aren't BT
Old 08 April 2013, 09:50 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I have been with BT for nearly 4 years now since using Virgin Fibre.

My pings are better for gaming, I have never had a letter about fair usage and havent been throttled for 6 months despite downloading almost constantly at 1.9 MB/s (18.5mbps)