Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How do old CRTs interlace?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2013, 11:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do old CRTs interlace?

I have always wondered how an (old analogue, not computerised) CRT display flip flops between odd and even scan lines on alternate frames and have not been able to find out from searching.

What was the original mechanism before the computer age? Anyone have any links to explain how the scanning was controlled electronically not just for the interlacing? I know about the phosphors, mask, electromagnets to steer the beam, just wondered how it was controlled in an analogue world.

Sorry for an odd question, but sometimes I think understanding how something worked in the analogue world helps explain a lot.

Thanks!
Old 24 January 2013, 05:05 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

This is going back some, but here goes, each line scan is 64u seconds including fly back and blanking (the video portion is 52u secs.) With interlaced scanning line scan and field scan are driving the scan coils on the neck of the tube. The field scan pulls the line scan down the screen while the line scans left to right. With 625 line scan some 50 horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen are used to allow a field ramp pulse to be generated for the field scan flyback. When the field scan fly back is initiated the line scan is pulled back up to the top of the screen. The scan starts again. You effectively have two half pictures per 50hertz. I think that is how it went. The line scan is highly inductive, required tuned circuits. There was sufficient current in line flyback (flyback transformer) to use this for generating low voltages and voltages up to 28kv for final anode tube acceleration. . Field scan due to its lower frequency more resistive so no need for tuned circuits

Last edited by andy97; 24 January 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 24 January 2013, 05:21 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
This is going back some, but here goes, each line scan is 64u seconds including fly back and blanking (the video portion is 52u secs.) With interlaced scanning line scan and field scan are driving the scan coils on the neck of the tube. The field scan pulls the line scan down the screen while the line scans left to right. With 625 line scan some 50 horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen are used to allow a field ramp pulse to be generated for the field scan flyback. When the field scan fly back is initiated the line scan is pulled back up to the top of the screen. The scan starts again. You effectively have two half pictures per 50hertz. I think that is how it went. The line scan is highly inductive, required tuned circuits. There was sufficient current in line flyback (flyback transformer) to use this for generating low voltages and voltages up to 28kv for final anode tube acceleration. . Field scan due to its lower frequency more resistive so no need for tuned circuits
In Laymans terms,

On one scan your get half the picture 3xxx lines and on the next scan you get the remaining 3xx lines, but as its interlaced

Scan 1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scan 2
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------

Combined result

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mart
Old 24 January 2013, 06:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, just what I was looking for.
Old 25 January 2013, 12:52 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
In Laymans terms,

On one scan your get half the picture 3xxx lines and on the next scan you get the remaining 3xx lines, but as its interlaced

Scan 1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scan 2
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------

Combined result

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mart
Niceley explaind
Old 29 January 2013, 09:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Only VGA was analogue. EGA was digital!
Old 29 January 2013, 10:10 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Bruch blanking, 8 field sequence...how I used to love analogue TV
Old 29 January 2013, 11:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Wayhey, this take me back I built a raster circuit on some bread board once for my A-level stuff...used it to drive a oscilloscope. I've still got all my notes on PAL TV systems somewhere.

This is a quality website for old school reading: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/deflfaq.htm (can't belive its still online, has loads of cool in depth stuff on microwaves, laser printers etc. )

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 January 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 30 January 2013, 10:49 AM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Spent the first 25 years of my working life in the TV industry designing sync generators, VDAs, switchers, and audio stuff too...was much easier when it all went digital though lol
Old 30 January 2013, 01:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Maybe one of you guys would be kind enough to suggest how I might fix something...

A couple of weeks ago I bought a digital storage oscilloscope off Ebay for repair. The CRT system is basically a b&w VGA resolution monitor, powered from +24V dc and fed an analogue video signal from the logic board.

It works fine for an hour or so, but then I turned my back on it for 5 mins and returned to find the image stretched vertically, so the middle 1/3 or so of the image occupies the whole display. The brightness also faded considerably, and after another minute or so the screen was completely black.

I'm not really familiar with how CRT drive electronics work, so short of replacing every electrolytic cap on the board and keeping my fingers crossed, I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I'm hoping someone will recognise the symptoms and tell me that it's something relatively straightforward - or at least, non-terminal!

The full schematic of the CRT board is on the very last page of this manual, and there's a beer in it for anyone who can correctly identify the fault before I do
Old 30 January 2013, 01:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't laugh but....

Have you tried hitting it?

Moderate thump with the fist on the top or the sides (whilst its still displaying a picture). If it makes a differnce you are probably looking at a dry solder contact.

Ok, a more insightful stab at it: It sounds like a power supply/voltage drift problem to the transistor/oscillator circuit that controls the horizontal deflection, which is then struggling to maintain its scanning then finally shutting down due to either excessive/insufficent voltage (there will be a protection circuits to prevent x-rays from excessive voltage, however undervolting in other areas can cuase this to trigger as well IIRC).

The cause can be anything, duff cap, dodgy pot, dry solder joints. Thats as much as I can do.
Old 30 January 2013, 02:47 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Maybe one of you guys would be kind enough to suggest how I might fix something...

A couple of weeks ago I bought a digital storage oscilloscope off Ebay for repair. The CRT system is basically a b&w VGA resolution monitor, powered from +24V dc and fed an analogue video signal from the logic board.

It works fine for an hour or so, but then I turned my back on it for 5 mins and returned to find the image stretched vertically, so the middle 1/3 or so of the image occupies the whole display. The brightness also faded considerably, and after another minute or so the screen was completely black.

I'm not really familiar with how CRT drive electronics work, so short of replacing every electrolytic cap on the board and keeping my fingers crossed, I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I'm hoping someone will recognise the symptoms and tell me that it's something relatively straightforward - or at least, non-terminal!

The full schematic of the CRT board is on the very last page of this manual, and there's a beer in it for anyone who can correctly identify the fault before I do
Sounds like a field output drive fault. Being a digital storage scope I would assume that the drive is an integrated circuit design, but could use individual components for the field drive. A simple way to do a bit of fault finding before fully dismantling to get access is to use freezer spray. Gently spray the freezer on electrolytic capacitors to see if the symptoms rapidly change. Capacitors would be the first item to suspect.

Look at page 369. The field op IC is a tda1170s, this would be the area to start looking. From memory the Tda1170 chips weren't the most reliable. Check all the caps and soldered joints in this section.

Last edited by andy97; 30 January 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 30 January 2013, 05:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Don't laugh but....

Have you tried hitting it?
I won't say the thought didn't cross my mind! But given the way the screen faded out over time, it doesn't feel like a work/not work fault which could be explained by a broken joint.

k, a more insightful stab at it: It sounds like a power supply/voltage drift problem to the transistor/oscillator circuit that controls the horizontal deflection
I'd guess that it's actually a vertical deflection problem, given that the image retained the correct width but became stretched vertically, so the top and bottom of the image were lost off the edges of the screen.

I take the correct width to be a good sign, in that if the beam were actually weakened (by a low anode voltage, perhaps), it would be easier to steer and would therefore be deflected too far in both axes - does that make sense? Given that the image retained the correct width, I don't believe this can be the problem.

Sounds like a field output drive fault. Being a digital storage scope I would assume that the drive is an integrated circuit design, but could use individual components for the field drive. A simple way to do a bit of fault finding before fully dismantling to get access is to use freezer spray. Gently spray the freezer on electrolytic capacitors to see if the symptoms rapidly change. Capacitors would be the first item to suspect.
I have an order nearly ready to go in to Farnell for a whole bunch of replacement caps. The scope is nearly 20 years old, so a refresh has to be due soon anyway.

Look at page 369. The field op IC is a tda1170s, this would be the area to start looking. From memory the Tda1170 chips weren't the most reliable. Check all the caps and soldered joints in this section.
Will do. The TDA1170S is obsolete now but easily available on Ebay.

If I replace it, do you think I'd also have to readjust any of the pots on the board that control geometry correction? Or are those more likely to be a function of the tube than the IC driving it?
Old 30 January 2013, 07:00 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Two pots to adjust size and linearity, feed a 1volt p-p square wave to set up field circuit
Old 02 February 2013, 04:52 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Pots should only need adjusting based on input resolution (once set and all things being equal), so you shouldn't need to adjust any geometry if you're replacing like for like components.

I have 8 CRT's in the house (well.. a couple in the garage) for use with my retro and arcade game set-ups. I also have getting on for 10 video scalers, processors & line doublers, to try and get appropriate low resolution reproduction on modern display panels. My house is a homage to CRT and video tech.

I love this kind of stuff.