Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SONY stop making CRT's...

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2004, 04:54 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SONY stop making CRT's...

Following on from earlier threads where I mentioned all Professional TV type stuff is viewed and analysed on proper CRT monitors..well no more!
Rumours of various discontinuations are true! Sony has decided to phase out all their current CRT monitors and replace them with LCD monitors. The PVM series are the first to go so the 9” 14” and 20” production monitors have stopped being made and the remaining stocks are limited.

Domestically you can of course still get CRT TV's, but this suggests that LCD very much has arrived...

D
Old 06 December 2004, 04:57 PM
braaaptish
Scooby Regular

NOoooo!!! CRT is still waaaaay ahead in terms of image quality ....
Old 06 December 2004, 05:01 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

NOoooo!!! CRT is still waaaaay ahead in terms of image quality ....
Generally true at the moment, but would you really buy a CRT if you were buying a new TV or monitor??.... evidently hardly anyone is.
Old 06 December 2004, 05:03 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called Profit Margin: the market in CRTs is so cut-throat that Sony isn't making any money there, whereas TFT prices are still inflated enough to make money. And last one out is going to lose a packet, so best get out early....

M
Old 06 December 2004, 05:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

not a monitor (although i just got a 19" iyama on ebay for £100 ) but for TVs CRT is still fine, we are getting a 28" for the bedroom and a CRT is £400 and superb quality/picture....see no need to get an LCD????

i assume LCD is for ppl in tiny houses where space matters??? the 28" in the bedroom and the 36" in the living room take up a tiny % of floor space so size is no issue
Old 06 December 2004, 05:12 PM
braaaptish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Generally true at the moment, but would you really buy a CRT if you were buying a new TV or monitor??.... evidently hardly anyone is.
lol - I'm trawling online shops at the moment - for a widescreen CRT - space isn't an issue but price is ... LCD/ plasma/ projection are all 'fashion' gadgets in my humble opinion and I reckon the cheaper option (ie CRT vs ... ) is actually the better in terms of what you get visually. Sub £500, what better display could you get in 28" or 32" other than CRT?
Old 06 December 2004, 05:41 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

What about these new breed of "superslim CRTs" that are supposedly coming out? Philips are making them already in limited numbers but I'm yet to see one in development.

Last edited by stevencotton; 06 December 2004 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06 December 2004, 06:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

New telly, same old **** on it, 'Im a celebrity' is still dross regardless of the display medium employed.
Old 06 December 2004, 06:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Sony,s trinitron system is possibly the best in crt sectors

i think there making a big mistake!!!!

Mart
Old 06 December 2004, 06:33 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
not a monitor (although i just got a 19" iyama on ebay for £100 ) but for TVs CRT is still fine, we are getting a 28" for the bedroom and a CRT is £400 and superb quality/picture....see no need to get an LCD????

i assume LCD is for ppl in tiny houses where space matters??? the 28" in the bedroom and the 36" in the living room take up a tiny % of floor space so size is no issue
What a pompous reply. Even if I had a fecking 10 room mansion and was looking for a new tv Id buy a nice LCD or plasma to stick on the wall rather than have the massive footprint of a CRT. If youve got such a big house then surely the same size LCD is affordable and you can buy other expensive stuff to use up the space?

Simon.
Old 06 December 2004, 08:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Sony,s trinitron system is possibly the best in crt sectors

i think there making a big mistake!!!!

Mart
Thats not really true; Sony and Mitsubishi use a different type of shadow mask to conventional CRT's and whilst its good for televisions it doesnt really lend itself to computer displays.

With regard to their stopping production of CRT PC displays; Sony has a reputation for pulling out of markets where the profit has reduced through competition. That said they sometimes contract out production to an OEM supplier, as was the case with DVD writers when their price dropped.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 06 December 2004 at 08:49 PM. Reason: innit?
Old 06 December 2004, 08:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
What a pompous reply.

Simon.
It's not just me then?
Old 06 December 2004, 08:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
What a pompous reply. Even if I had a fecking 10 room mansion and was looking for a new tv Id buy a nice LCD or plasma to stick on the wall rather than have the massive footprint of a CRT. If youve got such a big house then surely the same size LCD is affordable and you can buy other expensive stuff to use up the space?

Simon.

what a stupid reply!

how much space do you need????

if a CRT doesnt take up needed space then why spend more to go smaller?????

if a good CRT is £1k and an LCD is £2k.........why waste £1k????

LCD's are smart cars of the TV world....ohhh...except they are loads more money!
Old 06 December 2004, 09:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Emporer's new clothes, IMHO
Old 07 December 2004, 12:48 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
I did. Picture quality is of the highest importance to me and at the moment, in my opinion, nothing else delivers the way a good CRT does.

Its like that famous vacuum cleaner advert - "nothing sucks like an Electrolux".
Old 07 December 2004, 01:00 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I'll not mourn the loss of Sony CRTs, not because I like LCDs (I dont) but because I hate Trinitron and it's clones. No bit of extra sharpness is worth two lines across your screen. A properly done shadow mask CRT such as those made by Eizo is still the best way to go for a monitor, and vastly cheaper than finding a 1600x1200 LCD (I still haven't managed to find one of these for sale)

TV is a different matter, often the lower picture quality appears better because the blurring stops you realising how low the resolution is and how badly compressed your DVDs are. Unfortunately because most people these days have a mixture of PAL and NTSC material, any LCD TV is going to have ugly scaling artifacts in at least one of these modes. I'll stick with my huge footprint 48" rear projection jobby that cost the same price as an LCD half the size, and what display technology is in that? 3 tiny CRTs, a lens and a bloody big mirror.

CRT all the way for me, oh and my 17" 1600x1200@75Hz ADI Microscan monitor has survived 7 years and is still going strong, how long do LCDs last?
Old 07 December 2004, 10:22 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

If you'd asked me at the weekend what kind of new telly I'd buy - I'd have said CRT without a doubt - but after seeing one of Pioneers's Plasma screens yesterday (In Dixon's of all places) I think I might have one of them - 43" of sheer beauty and the picture was stunning, £2700 seemed pretty reasonable too.
Old 07 December 2004, 11:24 AM
braaaptish
Scooby Regular

yeha but you still get that nasty ghosting on contrast movements and nasty shading artefacts all over the place - even worse when it's big enough to be a distraction!
Old 08 December 2004, 11:11 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Anybody know where this story originates from?
Old 08 December 2004, 11:19 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

CRT all the way for me too. I recently bought a Philips Pixel Plus 2 32" widescreen after viewing numerous plasma/LCD TVs. CRTs are now at the pinnacle of engineering and performance, flat screens still have a way to go.
Same with the PC - my 20" Silicon Graphics monitor can do 1600x1200 at 120hz and cost £150 about 4 years ago. To get a flat panel that will do that I'd be looking at ten times the cost.
Sony lost the edge with CRT TVs a while ago which is probably why they're just going to let the competition fight it out while it gets a foothold in the flatscreen market.