Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Printers & Logic !

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2012, 09:00 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Printers & Logic !

I bought an Epson printer 11 months ago, and it was one of the better ones because I need to buy a fair one as it's used a lot for work.

3 months from new & an error message "ink pads need replacing, contact your supplier" ??? ...wtf ?

Eventually found a place 8 miles away that could do it. That left me without a printer for 5 days.

3 months later it happened again. Same place, 5 days again before I could collect it.

This morning it happened again. With a calm composure I pulled it forward & unplugged the USB lead. In the same composed manner I unplugged the power lead.

I put it under my arm and slowly walked out the office passing my wife and Son to which I greeted each with a nod & a smile.
Opened the door, took three paces into the yard & launched the f******* thing like a surface to air missile. Pulled out the 2 leads from my pockets and launched them too.

Went back in & done the polite Basil Fawty walk back to the PC, got online & studied all (non Epson) printers for the next 2 hours. Found a Brother printer that ticked all my boxes including scanner, copier and could be set up wireless or USB.
I was going to buy a new pack of inks but then thought I would get some online.

Back in the P1 and to the office. Unpacked it, hooked it up & followed instructions to the point I read "now plug in the USB lead (not included) !! WHAT !

I need direct as I found out it's much better than wireless. Back in the P1, got a lead.
Back to the PC and finally after 2+ hours the thing was installed.

Printed out test page & looked lovely. Opened a document, pressed "print" and got message "inks need replacing before printing can commence".

Went for a walk along the river.

I applied for a C++ computer programming course. The assessment was a 17 page exam on Lateral thinking / Logic & Grammer. I ended up with 97.6% over the 3, so I'm not fookin stupid, but certain things in life dont add up to me.
Old 28 February 2012, 10:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i believe it is a well known con

Epson have a sensor that reports a low ink level, well before (and I mean months before) the ink needs replacing - it throws an error condition and won't print

they want to sell the ink not printers

i think the fix is to simpy block the sensor with a small piece of chewed up paper

it is documented on some forums
Old 28 February 2012, 10:49 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The quality of the Epson prints has always been fantastic but each one I've owned the ink seems to evaporate over the weeks.
Got a Canon all in one thingy now, reliable, decent prints, doesn't seem to need to clean it's print heads everytime it's switched on (unlike the Epsons I've owned).

Need an A3 printer now, seems that the HP's are best rated.
Old 28 February 2012, 11:01 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Maybe get one of those Kodak ones that are cheap to run?
Old 29 February 2012, 11:31 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I think Epson sell there printer's with just enough ink "to get you started" then you have to buy new cartridges at £50 for the set (more than the price of the original printer). I bought new cartridges for our's and then the printer told me that the ink was still too low in the brand new cartridge and just wouldn't print !! Other printer's just keep printing but miss out of the empty colour

windyboy