Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iMessage issues...

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2012, 10:29 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iMessage issues...

I had multiple issues with iMessage - since implementing the Mac version.

For some reason it seems to be have synched my other half's phone with my email address even though she has her own iTunes log in.

This created very confused message dailogues were I only seemed to be sending and receiving messages myself!!

It also created a scenario where I sent a message to one of my friends from my iPad and it arrived in my other half's inbox as if it were from them - potentially embarrassing if you are being

All seems resolved now! Very odd, make sure you check your settings if you are using multiple phones off the same Mac.

Last edited by Trout; 28 February 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:09 AM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

By any chance are you and your other half sharing the same iTunes account? Same login and password?
Old 28 February 2012, 02:40 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

That's why it's still in Beta!
I think Google has lulled people (not aiming this ad you David) into a false sense of what Beta means, e.g.; gMail, which had a "beta" tag on it for a very long time, and people used it without many, if any issues. Google did this with other things as well, and other companies followed suit.
People then assume it's ok to run beta and seem to expect it to be bug free, which it won't be.

Apple is obviously getting it out there to iron out problems before it ships in ML, as they want to ensure it's as solid as possible when launched for real.
Old 28 February 2012, 05:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scouser321
By any chance are you and your other half sharing the same iTunes account? Same login and password?
After lots of mucking about this appears to be the problem (well, not iTunes accounts, the phones were showing the same iMessage email).

iMessage has defaulted to the same email address, but different phone numbers. We do have separate iTunes accounts - but I did set them up on the same Mac.

Up until I installed iMessage on the Mac there were no issues - have been using iMessage for a while with no artifacts.

Once I installed the beta it all went **** up - so either it was set up correctly but when I synched Truda's phone it changed the iMessage account; or some other artifact came into play where it was sharing my message activity on Truda's phone.

I have actively changed her iMessage account now on her phone and it all seems to be working again.

Will reinstall the beta on the Mac and see what happens.

So I have at least explained the outcome, but not the cause.
Old 28 February 2012, 10:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I saw the same, was sending messages to my mates wife, could have been nasty. Changed her iMessage address and all good. They do share an iTunes account.