Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Stop Microsoft's Massive carbon Footprint

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2012, 11:14 AM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop Microsoft's Massive carbon Footprint

Imagine a scenario where by a person sells his car to a dealer with 12 months road tax on it, you then walk into that dealer and ask to purchase the car, the dealer then informs you that you have to buy another 12 months tax as the one on it is no longer valid for a new owner, but as a twist the old owner can not have a refund back for the old tax disk. As a result thatcar has paid TWICE to legally drive on the road.

Well Microsoft is up to its old money grabbing / bully-boy tactics again, and leaving a giant carbon footprint as a direct result.

They used to issue a poster with the saying “your windows serial lives and dies with your pc” they have now gone one giant step forward,and have demanded that any and all pc’s / laptops that are resold to another owner MUST have a new coa (Serial number) attached to the unit, so when you walk into your local pc shop to buy a refurbished pc, you will be party topaying Microsoft TWICE for the same software.

Now comes the carbon footprint bit… If your pc has a harddrive failure and you take it to your local pc centre, they will ask “do you have the original installation disk?” if the answer is “No” then although you have the certificate of authenticity (serial number) on the system you willHave to purchase a new full retail copy of windows, along with the new harddrive, along with all labour costs, so that’s £120 for windows, £89 for the hard drive and £40 labour costs for fitment and reinstall.. so that’s a grand total of £249 please, OR for a little bit more you can have a BRAND NEW pc!What would you do? This one single act of Greed, will directly result in millions of perfectly good pc’s/laptops worldwide needlessly being slung on the skip, infavour of a brand new system.

Microsoft state that using someone elses recovery disk toinstall the windows system then activating it with your own serial number is illegal, how can this be so? Mass producers of pc systems such as Dell, HP,Toshiba etc ALL use an image to install windows on their systems, Not one ofthe coa’s (serial numbers) are ever used, each and every copy has been installed from the same company image. How is this any different to having a coa (serial number)on the pc but using someone elses image to recover windows back on to the pc?

We all need to stand together on this issue and say “enoughis enough” I mean really Mr Gates how much money do you really need?

I have set up a facebook site... "Stop Microsoft's Massive carbon Footprint" if you get a min can you like it, and hopefully we can get the ball rolling to put a stop to this.

Or not, but next time you need a reinstall on your pc and the price has gone up from £40 to £160 because you have to purchase a new copy of windows please dont blame me!

Last edited by madmerlin; 25 February 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 25 February 2012, 01:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

A lot of die hard Windows fans are using Android, should make the switch to Ubuntu easier. They're both butt ugly and a hobby to use.
Old 25 February 2012, 01:27 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Tie their massive shoelaces together.
Old 25 February 2012, 02:08 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

what is your source for this?
Old 25 February 2012, 02:13 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

tbh more pc's means more jobs so that is good

there is so much piracy they have to try all these ways to get paid

and Bill Gates is the worlds biggest give to charity so maybe we can claim tax relief as gift aid
Old 25 February 2012, 02:33 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

im sorry but it all sounds like BS :/ specially the carbon footprint angle...
hence id really like to see what source fed you that info

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lice..._licenses.aspx

PC Transfer to Another End User
The entire PC, however, may be transferred to another end user, along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the following must be included:

•Original software media
•Manuals (if applicable)
•Certificate of Authenticity (COA)
It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.
Old 25 February 2012, 03:01 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Sorry but that sounds like a lot of rubbish!!
Old 25 February 2012, 04:59 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acstua
what is your source for this?
Microsoft!

Originally Posted by Adrian F
tbh more pc's means more jobs so that is good

there is so much piracy they have to try all these ways to get paid

and Bill Gates is the worlds biggest give to charity so maybe we can claim tax relief as gift aid
Surely this is pushing people towards piracy as they refuse to pay a 2nd time.

im sorry but it all sounds like BS :/ specially the carbon footprint angle...
hence id really like to see what source fed you that info

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lice..._licenses.aspx
Again Microsoft....
A bit confused with this reply, you are aware of the microsoft program but say my post is bull****, did you even read the friggin pdf????

I have had to join the program, as two companies close to me have been done by m.soft (they send out undercover solicitors to "test" out pc shops) for installing windows on a customers pc by using the shops copy of windows then activate using the customers coa, BOTH received an official letter stating take this to court and you will be fined £5000 or pay up now @ £3200... (oh and before any smartar$e posts up, it isnt a scam as know of one guy who took it to court and lost)

re. footprint.... it aint rocket science chap, repair pc @ £249 or buy a brand new system @ £299..... what part of that statement do you have a problem understanding.

Originally Posted by Hanley
Sorry but that sounds like a lot of rubbish!!
Fair play mate, you keep yr head stuck firmly in the sand and live happily ever after.....

Can i just say, ive owned my own pc business for over 15 years, im not some muppet off the street, i know for where i speak! and trust me, if you the general public dont wise up to whats going on sooner or later you will be HUNDREDS of pounds worse off!

Have a read for yourself... oh and have a look round their site, i came accross another pdf that went deeper, and it stated that changing the computer case would void the coa and as a result in a new copy of windows would have to be purchased...

http://oem.microsoft.com/public/worl...guidelines.pdf

And to quote a passage...

A new Windows license is required for a refurbished PC if:
(1) The refurbisher cannot obtain the original recovery media or
(2) The PC does not have a hard-disk based recovery image.
The refurbisher must purchase a new Windows license in order to provide the purchaser of the refurbished PC with a genuine, licensed
version of Windows on the PC.
Old 25 February 2012, 05:10 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

well ive never come across it (im not saying i know everything!), and i've brought alot of refurbed machines for the company i work for.

"If the original recovery media is not present, an end user can contact the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of the PC to obtain the
appropriate recovery media for a fee—subject to availability."

which doesnt say it has to be the exact CD that was shipped with that exact machine.
either way it would explain the dell xp cd i get with the batchs i buy...

also that PDF is dated 2010, so doesnt seem that much of a new thing
Old 25 February 2012, 05:21 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

well ive never come across it (im not saying i know everything!), and i've brought alot of refurbed machines for the company i work for.

"If the original recovery media is not present, an end user can contact the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of the PC to obtain the
appropriate recovery media for a fee—subject to availability."

which doesnt say it has to be the exact CD that was shipped with that exact machine.
either way it would explain the dell xp cd i get with the batchs i buy...

also that PDF is dated 2010, so doesnt seem that much of a new thing
your right you can purchase a cd from the manufacturer, an average price would be £55 with delivery, usually 5 to 7 days to deliver.

PDF is 2010, once again you are right, most pc companies have known about it since then, in fact i remember the origonal memo coming through, but the difference is Microsoft are now Actively enforcing it very aggressively... so we have had to change our practice to ensure we are covered, which unfortunalely means the customer will pay more.

Which was the reason for my post, was simply trying to make guys aware of it... This is a typical case of a big company takin the pi$$.
Old 25 February 2012, 05:26 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

i do understand what you are getting at

for me, as soon as anyone starts using the green excuse or carbon effect i tend to turn off, imo alot of it is just an excuse to rip people off

id target it more at the paying twice for the license rather than the carbon blah blah

either way ive not noticed any real increase in prices yet, i brough 45 machines just before xmas, they only came with one oem CD mind heh
i guess it would be more of an issue for individuals.
Old 25 February 2012, 05:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

ok, why is this is anyway shape for form news about windows and licenses? If you have a license number and its OEM for that machine you can reuse it with a new HD on that machine and it stays with the machine, at what point you say its not the origional machine aka if you change HD MB etc etc im not sure, but i suspect an updated version of windows will be around long before you have to worry about that.

this is nothing new. Did this come form a climate change website by any chance?
Old 25 February 2012, 06:09 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

i do understand what you are getting at

for me, as soon as anyone starts using the green excuse or carbon effect i tend to turn off, imo alot of it is just an excuse to rip people off

id target it more at the paying twice for the license rather than the carbon blah blah

either way ive not noticed any real increase in prices yet, i brough 45 machines just before xmas, they only came with one oem CD mind heh
i guess it would be more of an issue for individuals.
Yes mate, you are totally right this is more of a problem for joe public.
tbh, i wasnt looking to start a one man campaign or anything, just warning people of what will happen very soon if nothing is done. (kinda wishing i hadnt bothered right now)

Originally Posted by Tidgy
ok, why is this is anyway shape for form news about windows and licenses? If you have a license number and its OEM for that machine you can reuse it with a new HD on that machine and it stays with the machine, at what point you say its not the origional machine aka if you change HD MB etc etc im not sure, but i suspect an updated version of windows will be around long before you have to worry about that.

this is nothing new. Did this come form a climate change website by any chance?
please READ THE PDF FFS!
if someone takes their pc into a shop for a reinstall and doesnt have the reinstallation disk they have to either buy a new RETAIL copy, or buy a replacement recovery disk off the pc manufacturer at an av. of £55 (ive bought a few so know the prices).
If you change your case the coa MUST be replaced - FACT.
If you change ANY major component the coa MUST be replaced - FACT.

ffs im not making this up (ive got better things to do with my time than this crap) go on to microsofts site and read it.

This IS new news, as i have stated before mircosoft are actively enforcing this right now! before its just been paper threats, but they are going round fining shops which effects my shop and every one like it, and as a direct result effects you as the public, as prices go sky high. A standard reinstall could go up from £40 to a best price of £95 (if you are happy to wait a week for the media) or worse case £160 if you purchase a retail copy of windows.

oh and as a sideline - Windows update - wtf.. a customer comes in with an old p4-2.0ghz with 512mb ram, and your answer is to upgrade to a memory/cpu hungry os like win 8 lmao, oh and i would also like to say, NEW windows wtf microsoft, been running the beta for a while now, all it is is win 7 with a new front end slapped on it!! oops i digress.. sorry..

Last edited by madmerlin; 25 February 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 25 February 2012, 09:28 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by madmerlin
please READ THE PDF FFS!
Er, peeps need to read the licence agreement that came with their PC, not some arbitrary link to a PDF from two years ago that you happened to post!

In other news, man sets computer time to January when it is really mid-summer - thus proving global warming exists

mb
Old 26 February 2012, 04:55 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Owner loses media in OEM install shocker.

Everyone knows windows OEM installs are locked down tighter than a nuns chuff... cd + key, its like driving licence and photo card, without both you're fecked. This is one of the reasons OEM licences are cheaper than retail. Oh, what was that? Microsoft gave you a discount in the first place? *gasp*

"Mr Gates how much money do you really need"

Gates doesnt work at MS any more and he's given more money away to good causes than almost anyone in history.

Its these kind of comments that make your arguments sound so ludicrous.

Oh, don't worry I wont blame you for anything, because I look after my media and licences...
Old 26 February 2012, 05:07 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Oh, and shove your carbon footprint BS where the sun doesnt shine. The sooner that older less power friendly PCs are out of the system the better.
Old 26 February 2012, 11:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As a system builder, OEM installs can be supplied with or without disk (to the system builder).

Those licenses supplied without disks MS assume you already have a OEM install disk or have downloaded it.

As such, it is impossible to illegally use a OEM install disk if the OEM install license (or retail) was supplied without an install disk. (well, that was the case with Vista and Win7 at least). Last time I checked it was the same for MS office too!

You can even download it so no need for install media (same goes for retail versions). So this "using someone elses install disk" argument is BS.

The only thing illegal is if you use a copied install disk. But its the disk itself that is illegal (like a copied film, or music CD), not the subsequent installation on the PC - so long as it has a valid key and recovery partition created AFTER its installation. The same applies to recovery media (recovery media is NOT an OEM install disk)

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 February 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 26 February 2012, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by judgejules
Oh, and shove your carbon footprint BS where the sun doesnt shine. The sooner that older less power friendly PCs are out of the system the better.

Plus 80 Gold PFC Power supplies for the win

After decades of shyte PSUs with poor or false PFC/efficiency ratings, we are eventually getting the Chinese to actually produce mainstream stuff that actually does what it says on the tin (without the capacitors failing/leaking or exploding). Even some of the expensive PSUs were not that efficient (mostly the 700watt and above units).

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 February 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 26 February 2012, 02:54 PM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

3rd PC with the same Win 7 key, just reactivate the licence man. Other pc's not in use!
Old 26 February 2012, 09:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The OP drives a 411BHP motor but is worried about carbon footprint of others!
Old 28 February 2012, 11:32 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I got system recovery disks for my Laptop after I lost them, I was charged £20, I am sure that any refurbisher will be able to get replacement recovery media without any issues, NDC do it all the time.

This only applies if the OS is completely wiped before using "create recovery disks" which will come on most OEM PC's that do not include recovery disks.

The main issue this is trying to prevent is someone selling a PC with a certificate of authenticity on it, and the original owner has kept the install disks and the serial number. In the event of 2 people using the same serial number, the rights would be granted to the person with the disks and serial number/CoA 1st.