Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet connection exceeding limit - how?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2012, 12:41 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Internet connection exceeding limit - how?

We've got a number of connections in work for home workers. One of the connections goes over its limit all the time and I can't work out why.

It is very low at 2GB limit but the others are all 2GB and use about 1GB in a month or so. This connection has used nearly 5GB in a fortnight.

I can see from the traffic monitor provided by our ISP (eclipse) that it is almost all from web browsing and theres at least 3 or 4 instances where the web browsing goes over 1GB in a day - isn't that alot for just web browsing?

Would playing flash games for kids count as web browsing? I game at home and it shows up as a different bar on the chart.

There are 2 internet connection at his house, a work one and home one. Frustratingly, although there is a connection from his house to here I can't access his router to see what is connected.
Old 20 February 2012, 12:52 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the iPlayer count as web-browsing? Or perhaps YouTube?

Edit: Or perhaps just ask him? Or if both are wireless connections (routers) then perhaps he/someone is connecting to the wrong one when doing personal stuff?

Last edited by boxst; 20 February 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 20 February 2012, 01:36 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Why does he have a 0.0.0.0 route over his work link? Surely all his web traffic should be going out via his own link and only traffic to the work subnet should be going over your link?

Flash traffic is more than often sent over HTTP, but they tend to only be small amounts of data for score updates etc so I doubt they'd be using that much bandwidth, depends on the flash app though.

If you have the hardware in the office to do it, only allow traffic from his link/vpn that is destined for your internal network. When he moans that his kids internet isnt working, then you know he has a problem
Old 20 February 2012, 02:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I don't suppose the monitoring shows IP / DNS / URL for the web browsing content?

Good point about iPlayer and other video sites though, could well be that it's seeing that as simply embedded content on a web page and so counts towards the web / http allocation.

What you could try is firing up wireshark on one of your machines, then hit up something on iPlayer and Youtube and see what that reports back. here is a little guide for using wireshark, and it shows how to get at the info. Might be of use.
Old 20 February 2012, 05:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by judgejules
Why does he have a 0.0.0.0 route over his work link? Surely all his web traffic should be going out via his own link and only traffic to the work subnet should be going over your link?
It is.

He rang to say the internet is really slow and thought it was something to do with having recently created a VPN to HO. I've said to him before that the useage is quite high considering its a work line. They have another line in the house that has broadband (he wanted it seperate) but I think he thinks that using the business line will save him money (like making a phone call, he's not to tech savvy tbf)

It just seemed like over 1GB of surfing in a day is fairly high. I see the stats from our ISP website - it gives stats on web browsing, gaming, VPN, P2P etc

I said to him that if the use stays high it will throttle down to 256K.

Its a pain I can't get to his router to see what is connected. I think on Netgear routers you have to enable remote access.
Old 20 February 2012, 06:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

"working at home" =watching **** all day
Old 20 February 2012, 08:15 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fbook games consume a fair bit due to the flash content, probably that.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:27 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Need some more information really:

1) You are concerned about data over his work link? y/n
2) You are concerned about data over his personal link? y/n
3) Does he have a route to 0.0.0.0 over his work link?
3.1) What modems does he have, I assume he has one per line?
3.2) Does he have two modems and a separate router?
4) All gateways at his end are set to his personal link?
5) Can traffic actually get to 0.0.0.0 via his work link if he has an erorr in his setup somewhere?
6) What manages the routing of traffic via the work link, was this set up by hand?
7) Why dont you find out what modem he has and call him up in the evening with the pdf manual in front of you to talk him through giving you/work access?
Old 23 February 2012, 11:18 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Is wireless security set?

Trojan / virus?