Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Major security flaw in Apple IOS iphone/Ipad

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2011, 08:22 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major security flaw in Apple IOS iphone/Ipad

Please be careful out there!

It looks like there is a major security problem with all iphones and ipads

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ble_on_the_Web

stay safe and put that IOS device down, my ipads being kept firmly under the bed until this is sorted out....
Old 07 July 2011, 08:33 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the exploit will be patched quickly, just be careful where you browse and don't click on dodgy links.
Old 07 July 2011, 08:45 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Isn't there a risk hackers will make the exploit from this site into an iPhone virus?

When I released JailbreakMe 2.0 last year, some media reports focused on the security implications of releasing an exploit for unpatched vulnerabilities. I am not sure myself what to think of this, but here are some facts:
▻ I did not create the vulnerabilities, only discover them. Releasing an exploit demonstrates the flaw, making it easier for others to use it for malice, but they have long been present and exploitable. Although releasing a jailbreak is certainly not the usual way to report a vulnerability, it still has the effect of making iOS more secure in the long run.

▻ There's always a first time, but I think there's a good chance the security impact of these vulnerabilities will remain theoretical. Despite JailbreakMe 2.0 being open sourced after an updated version of iOS was released, which would have made it relatively easy to modify the code into an attack, I didn't hear about any such modification except a proof of concept that showed up much later. The only iPhone virus ever to attack the general public was a trivial one that affected jailbreakers who installed OpenSSH (not installed by default) but left it at the default password.

▻ Along with the jailbreak, I am releasing a patch for the main vulnerability which anyone especially security conscious can install to render themselves immune; due to the nature of iOS, this patch can only be installed on a jailbroken device. Until Apple releases an update, jailbreaking will ironically be the best way to remain secure.

▻ Jailbreak apps and tweaks improve the mobile experience of millions of users, including many who were encourged to try it by the ease of use of web-based jailbreaks. I'm not just doing this to be flashy: there is considerable benefit to writing this kind of tool rather than one that requires a connected computer.

Taken straight from Comex website
Old 07 July 2011, 08:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Please be careful out there!

It looks like there is a major security problem with all iphones and ipads

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ble_on_the_Web

stay safe and put that IOS device down, my ipads being kept firmly under the bed until this is sorted out....
Not wishing to be pedantic, but I think it is only a problem for devices running iOS 4.3 to 4.3.3 (and devs running iOS5 beta releases). The last PDF exploit hole was fixed by Apple.

Also, if you are jailbroken you can download a PDF fix from Cydia which will address the issue.

Apple has said it will be fixing the problem, but they have not given a release date for a fix.