Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Transferring a domain name

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2011, 07:46 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring a domain name

A friend bought a domain/hosting from one of these DIY online website builders (MrSite or something like that).

I convinced her she could do a much better job from scratch but she wanted to keep the domain name. Anyway, MrSite said that's not a problem, so she's bought hosting but how does the transfer take place. What needs to be done and by who to make it happen?

Thanks in advacne
Old 24 May 2011, 10:22 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

It's pretty simple - though it's a few years since I did it.

IIRC the new host will need to be expecting the domain to be transferred into them and the existing host has to change the IPS tag on the domain to the one used by the new hosting company.
Old 25 May 2011, 09:25 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

If your friend wants to keep the domain name with the original company and the hosting somewhere else, then she can either ask the domain holding company to point the A records (the www bit) to the hosting company. That way when people type in the address it gets redirected to the hosting company webspace. She can also do this in her domain control panel under DNS records.
(BTW this is also where the mail records are usually kept, MX )

If on the other hand she wants to move the whole lot to the hosting company, then yes she will need to change the nameservers or IPS tag (depending wether it is a .com or .co.uk domain)
Again this is all doen in the control panel or you can request via a ticketing system/email/phonecall
Old 26 May 2011, 12:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The best thing your friend can do is create an account with someone like 123-reg.co.uk and request the domain be transferred to that account.

If it is a .com domain then this shoudl be relatively simple provided the admin email on the domain is correct and live and their side has domain locking control which they should have. You can request the transfer through the 123-reg control panel and this should instigate the transfer process.

If it is a co.uk then the IPSTag will need to be transferred to 123-reg.co.uk as well and sometimes this requires a bit more comunication with the curent holders of the domain.

Remeber if you 'own' a domain the company who administer it for you have no legal right to hold on to it or to prevent you transferring it.

The reason I recommend 123-reg or their ilk is you then have full control over the domain including nameservers/DNS and contact information amendment without being charged for any of it. You an also host it elsewhere and manage the DNS on 123-reg or manage the DNS remotely as well as the hosting.

HTH
Old 26 May 2011, 04:46 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah just release the IPS tag
Old 27 May 2011, 06:51 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Thanks so far.

From what I can gather she has bought hosting from www.netweaver.net and got this email from them

If you are using an existing domain with your new hosting account, you will need to update the nameservers to point to the nameservers listed below.
Nameserver 1: dns1.netweaver.co.uk (77.240.9.18)
Nameserver 2: dns2.netweaver.co.uk (109.123.111.124)
Nameserver 3: dns3.netweaver.co.uk (216.119.153.159)
She then updated the DNS servers in her MrSite control panel.

This was on Tuesday. Does this all sound right so far? I wasn't sure how long this should take.
Old 27 May 2011, 08:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boro
Thanks so far.

From what I can gather she has bought hosting from www.netweaver.net and got this email from them

She then updated the DNS servers in her MrSite control panel.

This was on Tuesday. Does this all sound right so far? I wasn't sure how long this should take.

DNS propagation can take up to 72 hours.