Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nokia 9210 Communicator/NT 4 RAS/Exchange 5.5

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 12:00 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone experienced any problems when connecting a Nokia 9210 Communicator to an NT 4 domain?

I was trying to connect one up yesterday, it could contact an ISP, which allowed it surf the internet and collect POP3 mail.

When I got it to RAS into their NT4 (SP4) domain, it connected tot he network, and showed the user had connected.

The problem was that it would not allow the phone to access the Exchange 5.5 server or connect up to the Internet via their router.

I spoke to a friend about this, and he had a similar problem when using Nokia Data cards. The machines would RAS in to the domain, connect, but was unable to ping any devices on the domain. They were in the process of upgrading the server from NT4 SP6 to Windows 2000 anyway, and the Nokia Data Cards, connected straight away after the upgrade!

Has anyone seen a similar problem with either the Nokia 9210 or the Data Cards? Is there a way to resolve this problem, without upgrading to Windows 2000? I can't find any information on this problem on the net either, so if you have any URL's they will be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old 05 September 2001, 02:17 PM
ChrisB

Just a thought Andy...

Has SP4 been re-aplied recently? If changes have been made to the server and SP4 not put over the top, you might have some old file versions.

I've seen this cause problems elsewhere before.

Is the 9210 set to use DHCP or does it have a fixed IP?

ChrisB.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 05 September 2001).]
Old 05 September 2001, 04:51 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chris,

Good point about the service pack, and yes I have seen other issues due to this.

Both DHCP and static IP addresses have been tried.

Cheers
Andy
Old 09 September 2001, 12:35 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy,

I have a Nokia 9210, and have connected to Blueyonder (NT, I think, but can check) fine to collect my emails and surf. I work for Telewest and have managed to connect to the corporate LAN (NT) and collect company emails but don't bother doing this, as I get far to many mails. I use the outlook Sync software.

Mines enabled for DHCP.

I'm pissed right off with Nokia, as none of the accessories from the 9110 fit. Even the hands free kit, doesn't fit. Bloody Nokia have moved the connectors on the bottom 2MM one way and 5MM the other way.

Be very careful not to drop it though. Whilst in Mexico a few weeks ago I got out the taxi and dropped it on the floor. Result was a broken screen (didn't light up). Sent it back and they said that it was £160 to LOOK at it, even before they stripped it down.

I went mental and threatened them with TW Lawyers..... They said nope you have to pay. What I said in the end was:-

It broke, My wife took the phone back to the shop, and yes my daughter had dropped it on the way. Up to them to prove otherwise. After paying £550, plus £70 for the desktop charger, and another £80 for the hands free kit holder (that isn't available yet) I'm pissed right off. Whilst my phone was being looked at, the repair place had another Four that had been dropped with broken screens.

Not being funny but I have had all the Nokia range and apart from the 6110 they are all crap. I'm on my fourth 6210 at the moment.

Well I was looking at getting the 9210 for all of Telewest Field Technicians and Engineers (1000 plus units) but they aren't very robust. A word of warning!!!

I have a copy of the software developers kit, but haven't tried it yet. I know nothing about programming.

Well that my moan over and done with

Oh and if you try and speak to anyone at Nokia, they don't give second names and are really rude. They wouldn't even give me the name of the CEO (hello) all I had to do was go to FT. com.

Andy, If you need anymore help please email me or reply.

Cheers Phill C

PS Edited cause I lary!!! and made loads of mistakes.

[This message has been edited by babber (edited 09 September 2001).]