Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac Mini question

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2011, 06:55 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac Mini question

I'm after the cheapest Mac I can find that has a minimum of 1gig of RAM (pref 2gB), an Intel based processor and OS X 10.5 or greater. I know nothing about macs though so have no idea what sort of price to be looking for second hand or what model to go for. From what I've googled a Mac Mini will have these features the cheapest and I just need a monitor, mouse etc.. to get it setup. The display doesn't have to be amazing so can these be plugged into a TV that has a VGA input? And what sort of price is good for a second hand one?
Old 11 March 2011, 07:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I sold one for £150 not that long ago, you'll need a DVI to VGA Adaptor unless your TV has a DVI connection.
Old 11 March 2011, 07:51 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
I'm after the cheapest Mac I can find that has a minimum of 1gig of RAM (pref 2gB), an Intel based processor and OS X 10.5 or greater. I know nothing about macs though so have no idea what sort of price to be looking for second hand or what model to go for. From what I've googled a Mac Mini will have these features the cheapest and I just need a monitor, mouse etc.. to get it setup. The display doesn't have to be amazing so can these be plugged into a TV that has a VGA input? And what sort of price is good for a second hand one?
pm LeeP he has an imac for sale and it amazing spec and he only wants 600 quid for it, like new never used
Old 11 March 2011, 08:27 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I'm only looking to spend sub £350, doesn't need to be amazing, but must be intel based and 1gB RAM. I could go out and buy OS X 10.5 if need be, but would prefer it to be included. Basically needs to be able to run Xcode 3. Would be nice if it has a good size hard drive, but not essential.
Old 11 March 2011, 12:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What version of Xcode 3? If it's the latest (3.2.6 - released this week) then you will also need Mac OS 10.6 as it won't run on 10.5. v3.2.5 also required 10.6 as well, not sure about previous versions, but would not be shocked to find 3.2.3 needs 10.6 too.

To be honest, I'd not bother with Xcode 3, I'd jump straight to Xcode 4, you'll miss a chunk of transition time between the two and just start of on 4. I'm planing on switching within the next two weeks, possibly even sooner, just finishing off a release cycle and sprint, so it'll be a good time to transition over.

I'd strongly suggest more than 1GB if developing. I've got a couple of intel mac mini's at work that we use as build machines, and they aren't too bad. The problem is that memory and HD upgrades aren't overly easy with them. The same is true HD wise on an iMac, but memory upgrades are very simple.

Not sure how many used Mac Mini's will have been upgraded because of this, but if its out of warranty then you could DIY it, have a look at guides on ifixit's website.

In addition, spec wise, are you planning on doing anything with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)? If so, make sure the Mac Mini is core duo 2, otherwise it will not be able to run Lion. It may be worth upping the budget to get a machine that is a little future proof.

Last edited by Markus; 11 March 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11 March 2011, 02:19 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I want a cheap way into iPhone and iPad development. Not googled too much into it at the moment, thought Xcode 4 was 10.6, didn't realise newer versions of Xcode 3 were as well. This is more of a small side project, something to do in my spare time so don't want to spend much cash. Was thinking about taking a look at the DragonFireSDK on windows or even installing Mac OS on a PC, but thought it would be better to do it on Apple hardware.
Old 11 March 2011, 10:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The whole hackintosh thing is possible, provided you have the right hardware. Not sure how well Xcode would run on it though.

Personally I would stick with a Mac and simply get an iOS developer account from Apple, you'll then have access to everything you need for developing on iPhone and iPad.
Old 11 March 2011, 10:43 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want just Xcode,download VMW player or Virtual Box for PC,download VMWare image with Leopard and you will be OK,my few friends use PC with this and work OK..
And is cheaper option...

Jura
Old 12 March 2011, 01:37 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You'd need Snow Leopard for a start, plus, it'd need to be Snow Leopard Server, unless it's a modified Snow Leopard image. Most of the VM solutions won't run standard Snow Leopard, as Apple expressly forbids it being virtualized, however, they do allow Snow Leopard Server to be virtualized, hence why you'd need SL server.
Old 12 March 2011, 01:48 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Markus i'm running modified ISO(VMWare Image) of Snow Leopard without problem on my brother laptop with AMD...
Is possible,just type it correctly and you will find what you want...

Jura