Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is AOL the issue ?? New Modem Router cant find ISP

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2011, 10:14 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is AOL the issue ?? New Modem Router cant find ISP

My mum has a really old pc and has bought herself a nice new lappy, she intends to run both so bought a Belkin Modem Router.

She has AOL as her ISP, on her old PC (ancient) the net is accessed via a stand alone BT AOL modem which is connects to the pc via a USB port (and still works as I checked it this evening, had the net up no problem)

We plugged the Belkin Modem router in, this works in the respect that the lappy and my HTC Desire can see the router in the Wifi settings.

This is where the problems start.

When running the set up disc for the router on the lappy it gets as far as attempting to connect with the ISP provider and fails, all user names and passwords are correct all settings for the ISP are correct after discussion with AOL.

I even went as far as plugging the old modem back in and sticking that into the lap via one of the USB ports, still no net.

Does she need to get a copy of the god awful AOL disc and load thier software on the lappy (you cant access the net via the IE icon on the pc only the AOL icon) before attempting to install the Belkin ???

Any advice appreciated

I'm also thinking if they use the router/modem how can they use the PC for internet ? can they hard wire an ethernet to usb cable (does such a thing exist)straight into the pc or how about an ethernet cable from the belkin to the AOL modem and then into the pc via usb ?

My own advice would be leave AOL and bin the old pc, probably not an option at the moment !!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 14 January 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 14 January 2011, 10:20 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the router not have a Ethernet socket for the old pc?
Old 15 January 2011, 08:22 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not enough power from USB port on laptop? Do you have just a stand alone USB modem or do you have a router aswell?

Why not buy a router for £10 to £20 (check hotukdeals) you can then connect the laptop to it with Ethernet or wifi and dump the USB modem in the rubbish.
Old 15 January 2011, 11:55 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks for the link, I've probably spent 3 hours looking for an answer online but with no joy, i'll get mum to call AOL.
Old 15 January 2011, 12:00 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Not enough power from USB port on laptop? Do you have just a stand alone USB modem or do you have a router aswell?

Why not buy a router for £10 to £20 (check hotukdeals) you can then connect the laptop to it with Ethernet or wifi and dump the USB modem in the rubbish.

Looks like I didnt explain properly above, the Old pc only has USB ports and a stand alone modem supplied by AOL, they have bought a brand new HP lap top and the Belkin N150 Wireless Modem Router to replace the AOL modem. My guess was because the Lap Top does not have the AOL software installed this is the reason the New Belkin router cannot connect to the net

Cheers
Old 15 January 2011, 12:53 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funki

I moved over from a wired BT voyager modem with AOL and onto a netgear wireless router........I had all sorts of problems with firewalls which stopped me making the jump onto the internet.

Might not be much help if you have disabled the firewall though.

Shaun