Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

No internet

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2010, 04:58 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No internet

Hello all,

Christmas eve/Christmas day we lost internet (BT broadband ADSL). My dad and I contacted BT in India on several occasions (10 times over 4 days) and we where getting nowhere! We noticed that we had line noise so I managed to get an engineer out on wednesday who fitted a new wall socket and new wiring also. This cured the noise on the line. We still had no internet.

The router - Linksys by Cisco WAG160N - was showing we had wireless, DSL but the Internet light was glowing red and not green like it had been for about 6 months prior. I put our hateful white BT Homehub back last night and we had internet working, albeit slow.

Why would we loose internet with the 160N after 6 months on a perfectly working router.

I have done some research and a few people have had similar problems whereby their non-bt routers stop them from accessing the internet when using BT broadband.

We plan to change ISP's early next year. But how can BT control what router we use?

Thank you

Happy New Year

Darren
Old 31 December 2010, 07:48 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

it cant but one maybe more sensitive than the other to say external/int influences eg radio interference
Old 31 December 2010, 08:41 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this mate, if it were Cable I could help ...

I can't think of a reason an ADSL router wouldn't work, unless they set-up some kind of filtering or particular setting within the router?
Old 31 December 2010, 10:00 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I have been using linksys kit since i started using wireless access to the Internet. In my opinion it is good kit. However, over the last month or so, I have found that prolonged use of the Internet would cause traffic particularly wireless traffic to slow to the point where it became unusable and required the router to be rebooted or power cycled.

I upgraded the firmware on this router just before christmas, the difference really is remarkable.

I would obtain the latest firmware from linksys and carry out the upgrade. Its very straightforward.
Old 01 January 2011, 02:58 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I have been using linksys kit since i started using wireless access to the Internet. In my opinion it is good kit. However, over the last month or so, I have found that prolonged use of the Internet would cause traffic particularly wireless traffic to slow to the point where it became unusable and required the router to be rebooted or power cycled.

I upgraded the firmware on this router just before christmas, the difference really is remarkable.

I would obtain the latest firmware from linksys and carry out the upgrade. Its very straightforward.
I have reset the router and re configured it and also downloaded the latest firmware but to no avail.
Old 03 January 2011, 04:50 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
With ADSL BT don't force you to use their router. I'm sitting here quite happily with my Draytek syncing quite nicely at 8Mb/s ... As for 'losing the internet' after 6 months, it's possibly a fault with your router. From what I've seen, and experienced, the 'cheaper' routers tend not to last so long which is why I bit the bullet, spent some more money and got myself a Draytek. However, your problems could be a fault on the line. It's probably a bit of copper wire between you and the exchange which can easily break. Maybe one of the connections in the green box has corroded or broken slightly during maintenance - had it happen to me before.

Now, as for BT forcing you to use their router, the exception I will cite is for the upcoming BT Infinity (which is FTTC - fibre to the cabinet). My local exchange is one of the pilots and the fibre-ed up green box has already appeared about 1/4 mile from me. Not sure whenj it'll go live, but soon. This will run 'VDSL' and you will need a new router as none of the current ADSL routers will be able to handle it. And talking to a BT salesguy in a shopping centre the other day he said that only BT supplied Infinity routers would work with it. It'd be easy enough for the line sync SW to check this I suppose. (It'd then get plugged into the WAN port on my Draytek).

HTH

Dave
Dave, thanks for that reply. You are the second person to mention a Draytek router. Apart from costing a little more than your average wireless router, what else is good about them as I have not heard of them before.
Old 03 January 2011, 05:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I use a Draytek router (2820VN) as well. They are generally* rock-steady, don't crash or fallover and have good features like filtering, VPN, Tunelling, Quality of Service etc...

Steve

* because I updated to the latest official firmware and have had some problems so using a beta of a later version.
Old 03 January 2011, 05:25 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thank you for that response.
Old 03 January 2011, 05:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just read your actual question!

I doubt that BT are stopping things working, one way they can do so is by restricting to a specific MAC (the address of the router). You can get most routers to fake a specific MAC, check the options.

STeve
Old 04 January 2011, 07:32 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave - regarding routers for Infinity, the Apple Airport Extreme has been found to work perfectly well connected to the BT VDSL modem over PPPoE.
I bet that as more people try other cable modems instead of the BT supplied one, that other makes are shown to work.
Old 04 January 2011, 11:14 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Switch router off

Switch back on watch lights on front look for one thats called ADSL it should flash at the start then go constant, watch it watch it, if it keeps flashing then turns red Its exchange.

Login to router and check connection does it read down ?

basics are your ADSl connects to a router of sorts at BTs end, when you switch it on it SYNCs or handshakes to the BT one, if this fails you need to try another router or check ya settings,

failing that get BT to help.

I had ADSL for years and it was good but when it goes wrong its a chuffin nightmare, hence why im now Virgin Fibre

also ask Bt for there settings id envisidge PPOA Vmux 38 etc, but your router should pick these up.

also be aware i got this from first hand experience, and a cisco guy

linksys routers are made with Inferior componant that havnt long lifespans,

if you want premium then Cisco want you to buy CISCO rather then the cheaper Lynksys, you may have a popped Modem in your router.

personally get a netgear from PCworld, try it if it fails then ring BT but once fixed either return it to Pcworld or keep it.

Unfortunately PCworld i dont think stock draytec

Last edited by Littleted; 04 January 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05 January 2011, 09:56 AM
joebucks
Scooby Newbie

The simplest way of testing the router has to be at a friends house ... with or without BT ...

If I had to take a stab in the dark, there probably is an error within the router, and it's probably hardware ... by chance, is the router quite near to a radiator ?? you've probably had your heating up more over the last month or two, this can slowly destroy PCB's ...