Burnt by the Internet?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2001, 12:09 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just a quick point,

I think this thread should read.. "The internet was used to burn me" not burnt by the internet.

The Internet can be used for good and bad. Just like a knife can be used to prepare a nice meal.. or kill someone.
Old 07 July 2001, 12:13 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IWatkins:
<B>

But posting lots of little 'clues' and little digs helps no one and makes you look the fool.

Basically, speak clear, plain English, with just the facts.

Cheers

Ian[/quote]

I'd just like to point out that some of the things that have gone on, are due to deception and deceipt and a lack of integrity and honesty shown by people ....Ian, this is Anders' own way of commenting on things. I am sure you have met him, its the way he is.. IMHO i would say that he is not making himself look like a fool. In fact, he is one of the few people I have met that would help anyone in need, a thing that does'nt always make you a better person but with Anders makes him the person and friend that he is too many. I speak from experience in Anders helping me out, and from it I have made a very good friend. Not many people are as trusting, and yeah...you could say that what he is saying is his own fault if he has been stung, granted thats true...but he does'nt deserve some of the back stabbing and abuse that he has received in return for trying to help people and offer advice with certain things.

A little story:-
I was taken by him to Kennington Police station to see Anders in action doing his job. 20.30 at night after a full day from 7.30 until 17.30 he gets a call, a large scarey man has attacked someone with a large stick and threatened to kill some people in a laundtrette, Anders was called for his consultant opinion on this fruit loops mind state. I was his medical student for the day and the custody sergeant passed us through to the cells. Kennington is a rough and ready nick, where some proper criminals are let loose. This guy was f****g and blinding for ages, spitting feathers and would not speak to Anders. I was scared (5'11 and 17stone, qualified to look after myself) to go to the shutter and peer into the cell because of the Bass this guys voice was producing, it was quiet un-nerving. Anders stood face right up against the cell door and he calmed this raving nutter into a man who was upset for what he did. No level of Police officer or negotiator could calm the guy...Anders managed it with real ease. But at a risk, this guy could of grabbed him easily and throttled him through the cell. Could anyone I know do that? Could they ****e! It was simply breathtaking the way he controlled this chaps temper, the Police were very shocked....for 4 hours they could not calm him down.

Note the time hes posted this 5.00am, not like Anders to be up given he has a job that sees him on call for 136 hours a week

I would also like to add that Anders also has the highest Bravery award for Kent for saving a lorry load of Americans lives in the Faversham coach crash. The coach was sure to fall into a ravine and balancing precariously for some time....Anders was driving past and stopped, he waded through shredded bodies where other emergancy service members could not due to horror and crying at the scene and many Americans owe Anders their lives. They would of perished had he not gone on the Coach and did what he did. I have seen the award mounted proudly in his parents house.....This guy is not your average member of society...hes someone who one day will be a hero to many. FACT

Ronnie

Old 07 July 2001, 12:31 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Ronnie.
Wonderful story, but what's that got to do with what they're talking about on here?
I too considered Anders a friend until an abuse of position took place. But we won't even go there.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of another.

Stef.
Old 07 July 2001, 12:34 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Anders

I've followed Scoobynet (and your activities) for many years now but I'm not a prolific poster of messages. I do however, enjoy the medium, its characters and understand how it has changed over those years due largely to the general expansion of Internet usage. This is true of all Internet based activities over the past few years.

I think your issue relates to the point at which you cross the fine line between using the Internet as a communication medium and then as a business tool (defined as anything that involves money or committment to deliver).

It appears you've had a few bad 'business' experiences related to the use of the Internet, which is common across all aspects of business, globally. Perhaps rather than questioning the impact of the Internet (which is only a tool) on your 'business' activities you should question your fundmental approach to 'business', and more importantly risk analysis and its minimisation.

Phil
Old 07 July 2001, 05:01 AM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

4 years ago my friend Teddy a Greek millionaire and fellow psychiatrist told me he was selling his Skyline to buy a 22B.

At the time I was saving up for a TVR Grifith, my long suffering girlfriend said "you don't want one of those you want an Impreza, they win all the rallies, have great residuals and come top in the JDC power surveys!"!

I discovered Iwoc and my hero Steve Breen.

I discovered SIDC.

I bought my 22B.

I became an SIDC committee member

I attended hospitals where my friends lay, post motorsport related incidents

It was a great time, it was an earnest time.

Trips abroads were trips of adventure with Pete Croney and Adam Curtin, Phil Dawes (Mr Scoobynet)

Fine tuning my 22B with BRD and enjoying Scoobymanias Aussie links

Slowly things changed and vultures appeared,
dingos and foxes.

Mongoose! Mongoose! (a riddle for you all )

In the last year I have been suckered by bogus police officers, bogus internet bankers and bogus salesmen.

This is in addition to the money I have invested in my 22b which has exposed the reality of Impreza tuning in the internet age!

The frontier days of camaraderie and passion have replaced by filthy dingo types, in the old days of real world clubs such scum could be black balled.

Nowadays they can just reapear under another email

The worst thing is that some consider themselves so "cute" that they can head up new companies, and I can say nothing for fear of liable!

Simon has his work cut out to protect the "Scoobynet community".
Old 07 July 2001, 08:10 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Anders,

Most of us who've been around for a year or more know the pain and heartache you've had regarding your 22b. Nobody likes being duped, treated badly or having ones trust betrayed(BTW I am talking in general terms).

The Internet, like the real world is full of crooks, fraudsters and liars. BUT, like the real world it is also full of decent, caring and honest people.

The ease of communication and anonymous nature makes it easier to crooks to get away with it, but then on the other hand brings people together like no medium has ever done.

To be honest, I don't see it as Simon's job to protect people from being ripped off. It's down to everyone to ensure that they don't.

Simon can provide the mechanism for people to air to their problems(as a last resort) or to praise good service(should be more common than the former). But beyond that i'm sad to say the phrases Caveat Emptor and trust no one rule.

Before spending any money CHECK the individual/company out. Get references you can trust, go see the work they've done, never buy version 1.0 of anything, and pay by credit card if you can.

I still feel the same way about scoobynet and subaru ownership as I did 19 months ago and as more and more people join I hear the same thing again and again. Scoobynet is a great place to hang out. It's grown up and now encompasses people from every age and walk of life. The SIDC too has matured and now offers far more services than it did even a year ago.

I guess it's like a town where there are people of all sorts. It has it's police(the moderators), it's marketplace,pubs and a playpen for the kids(the muppets), and like a town it has it's unsavory elements.

But do we let the presense of crooks spoil our lives, in real life? The answer is usually no, of course not. In my opnion, like real life, the answer to the same question for 'scooby ville' is still an emphatic NO!

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 07 July 2001).]
Old 07 July 2001, 09:04 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Neil

VERY well said.

Anders

The majority of people enjoy and will continue to enjoy the the scoobynet community. The reason is that they are happy to just join in, and be an important part of it, like everyone else.

The difficulty comes when people want *more* out of it. As soon as you want more "power", "money", "fame", etc out of it, you open yourself up to dissapointment by trusting all sorts of people to deliver the world by some kind of magic (which is simply not possible).

This is basically what leads to dissapointments.

During the past year, I have been a sounding board for a staggering series of real life soaps, some of which you have stared in, and other not. Some of them have been truly mind blowing, but I cannot think of ONE which was not started by someone "wanting more" out of the community.

Whilst it is easy for crooks to use the internet to disguise their identity / character, it is also easy for normal people to have hidden agendas and forget that the normal business rules apply.

If you are happy to "go with the flow" and live the scoobynet community as part of it, it's a wonderful place. If you want to be king, there are all the same problems that exist in the real world.

BTW - I am speaking generally, not aiming this at anyone individually.

Best regards

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2001, 09:12 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Anders
Sorry to hear this.

One thing I have found having worked in the City for 26 years - if I need to do a deal with someone or do some negotiating with them - I ALWAYS prefer to do it face to face where I can read them....

SdB
When you retire, you should write a book on Scoobynet and it's stories...
Old 07 July 2001, 10:26 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Erm, I don't get it.

What is that all about?

Shouldn't you be on your own couch?

Sorry if you've been had, but there's nothing new under the sun, as the saying goes.

And unfortunately people like us (from my experience of you on this bbs and 22b) of a trusting nature need to be more on guard than some others.

But I still don't get it.

What was that all about?
Old 07 July 2001, 11:25 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I think it is ironic that it takes a doctor to make the point about trusting people , and even more so for a lawyer to point out that it is doctors who aren't to be trusted

Seriously anders,

Regardless of how you feel, this is a level playing field. As much as you should be on guard as you ould in the real world, there is nothing stopping you from playing people at the same game.

And who better to manipulate peoples minds than a psychiatrist?
Old 07 July 2001, 11:31 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

A bogus internet banker?
I wonder who that could be?

Stef.
PS I hope the bogus salesman wasn't aimed at me!
Old 07 July 2001, 11:36 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

"Trust no one until you know otherwise and then always be on your guard" = Rule No. 1 of the Internet.

Anders, I know you have been through some real crap lately, but that could have just as easily happened without the Internet.

If you have real issues to post, then go ahead and do it. If you are telling the truth, it is not libel. But posting lots of little 'clues' and little digs helps no one and makes you look the fool. It also makes other feel more paranoid then they already are (which may be a good thing) and may also damage good companies because someone got hold of the wrong end of the stick. Basically, speak clear, plain English, with just the facts.

Cheers

Ian
Old 07 July 2001, 02:11 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Question

Stef, abuse of position?

And I told it because I think I can comment on knowing Anders fairly well....thats all.

Sure we all have done some iffy stuff in the past, have'nt we? We are not all angels, but I think everyone is entitled to a defense and also for someone to stick up for their mates....as I was doing here..

Ronnie
Old 07 July 2001, 02:20 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Please can we switch the focus from Anders's character and onto ways in which we can ensure his experiences don't happen to anyone else?

Whatever has gone on in the past, is just that the past. Let's learn from it, use it and move on.
Old 07 July 2001, 02:30 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Neil, what do we do then? All of a sudden shoot everyone who has been snide on the net?

Thats a shed load of dead people

I was purely pointing out, before people flamed him and asked him to speak clear English again, that Anders did not deserve any of the ****e he went through...perhaps I was'nt clear.....

Ron
Old 07 July 2001, 02:51 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RonaldoH:
<B>Neil, what do we do then? All of a sudden shoot everyone who has been snide on the net?

Thats a shed load of dead people

I was purely pointing out, before people flamed him and asked him to speak clear English again, that Anders did not deserve any of the ****e he went through...perhaps I was'nt clear.....

Ron[/quote]

Ron, I think you misread me(or I had brain fade). I was trying to say, let's steer away from character assasinations and use Anders's bad net experiences in a constructive manner.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Old 08 July 2001, 09:26 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me as though these Shrinks need to stop popping their own pills and concentrate on the facts of life

Anders weve all been burnt by snide, imcompitent and childish behaviour from people we thought were friends until it came to the crunch! I for one am very glad I stopped associating with certain "Bogus South of the River people" who need shrinks as its made my life alot happier

As I said on another thread, im leaving my griefs in the hands of the professionals you know who you are!!!!! as they say

Harj....
Old 08 July 2001, 09:56 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

(Duplicated from "enough is enough")
Hi Chaps

Without wanting to get involved in the substance of all this..

I would say that, all parties have now had their inuedno moments, so...

Purely out of respect for the rest of the community could any further communications be either..

a) Specific and clear, and ONLY posted if they are of benefit to the community (not your personal perceived benefit - the actual post being a benefit), and of course LEGAL.

or

b) dealt with off line.

All the best, and I hope you all sort it out.

Simon

Old 09 July 2001, 12:52 AM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by harj:

As I said on another thread, im leaving my griefs in the hands of the professionals you know who you are!!!!! as they say

Harj....[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you managed to find the A-Team then Harj?

Seriously though I think this sort of thing is best dealt with offline.

Take it easy guys
Old 10 July 2001, 06:14 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

I think I missed the original plot, but, one thing that the internet is very powerful for, is to expose the crooks.

If someone is blatently ripping off scoobnet readers then post the information rather than all the coy remarks above.

I think this BBS is a great service and needs to mature - as other groups I listen in on have over the years. They're all the same, whether it be mountain biking stuff (my trade) or cooking apple cakes...!

bogus policemen?
bogus suppliers?

what's been going on...?

rapiddescent
Old 10 July 2001, 06:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Rapiddescent
Save your breath....

I believe the bogus policeman was someone I was aware of - but every time I ask the question it is ignored...
Old 10 July 2001, 06:48 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Preach mode on
As in all communities there is gossip, hidden agenda's and 'undercurrents'. IMHO nothing is served by bringing them up to the surface, except reopening wounds that have healed or started to heal.

Gossip is so destructive, old gossip more so.
Preach mode off

Dave TS Windup on.
Oh and Dave I told you what happened to the bogus policeman, but you refused to believe me

Ignore the X file like hints, be excellent to each other and

Party on Muppets.

Edited to say what I meant

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 10 July 2001).]
Old 10 July 2001, 07:05 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil
I don't actually really care mate, i'm still here, it's just curiosity - interesting from a human psychology point...
Old 10 July 2001, 09:37 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Spot on Dave. We all love to know gossip. I think it's built into us.
Old 10 July 2001, 10:45 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

why dont you all mail each other rather than confuse the rest of us!?
Old 11 July 2001, 07:56 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

But then there wouln't be any whiff of gossip to speculate about!