Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Itunes again :(

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2010, 12:04 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Itunes again :(

How do i get itunes to see new albums ive uploaded?

and how do i search for an individual track?

All i get is album searches, (which it cant find either )

or look in the itunes store??? why i all ready have it !!!!!!

(oh and why is its get artwork function so poor?)

Mart
Old 18 August 2010, 01:13 AM
ODWOC
BANNED

Jesus, Mart... you haven't moved on... just how dim are you?
Old 18 August 2010, 01:56 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ODWOC
Jesus, Mart... you haven't moved on... just how dim are you?
Unfortunately its born of necessity (ipod!!!)

and who's alternate user name are you hiding behind

Mart
Old 18 August 2010, 09:03 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mart - how did you upload the albums?
Old 18 August 2010, 09:25 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i dumped iTunes ages ago for a small piece of software called Media Widget. much easier to use than iTunes.
Old 18 August 2010, 12:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
How do i get itunes to see new albums ive uploaded?

and how do i search for an individual track?

All i get is album searches, (which it cant find either )

or look in the itunes store??? why i all ready have it !!!!!!

(oh and why is its get artwork function so poor?)

Mart
Ignoring the anti-apple types/trolls/whatever...

What version of iTunes are you running, latest is 9.2.2 I think. If you're not on that then go and get it for a start.

As DD stated, how did you "upload" the music? Did you just put it into your music folder, if so, that won't work. iTunes does not automatically scan a folder for new music. You need to use the Add To Library command under the file menu. This will, optionally, copy the music to the music folder, but more importantly add the information to the library file.

As for searching. Firstly, click on the Music item under the Library option in the left portion of the window, then in the top right of the iTunes window is a search section, there is a magnifying glass icon with a downward facing arrow on it, click on that, it'll give you a range of options, am guessing it's set to album, however, it should be obvious as the grey text in the search field should say "Search Album", anyway, set it to "All" and enter your search term and it will pick up album, track, artist, etc...

The search will display iTunes Store files on the right, though I think you can turn that off. If you're only seeing iTunes store files, well, I'd say you're not searching the local music library and you're searching the store instead, as mentioned above, click on Music under the Library section on the left of the screen and search again.

In what way is Get Artwork poor? That the covers it returns are of poor quality or that it isn't finding artwork for some of your items? If it's the latter then I think it only searches the store, and it's possible that the song/album isn't in the store (probably the localized version, so that'd be UK) and thus there isn't any artwork in the store for it to use. Not much Apple can do about that really. Even if the song/album is in another localized store that's not their fault, could be geo-rights issues as to why they don't sell it in the UK store and why you cannot get artwork for it.
Old 18 August 2010, 06:21 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Foobar

Much simpler
Old 18 August 2010, 11:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Ignoring the anti-apple types/trolls/whatever...

What version of iTunes are you running, latest is 9.2.2 I think. If you're not on that then go and get it for a start.

As DD stated, how did you "upload" the music? Did you just put it into your music folder, if so, that won't work. iTunes does not automatically scan a folder for new music. You need to use the Add To Library command under the file menu. This will, optionally, copy the music to the music folder, but more importantly add the information to the library file.

As for searching. Firstly, click on the Music item under the Library option in the left portion of the window, then in the top right of the iTunes window is a search section, there is a magnifying glass icon with a downward facing arrow on it, click on that, it'll give you a range of options, am guessing it's set to album, however, it should be obvious as the grey text in the search field should say "Search Album", anyway, set it to "All" and enter your search term and it will pick up album, track, artist, etc...

The search will display iTunes Store files on the right, though I think you can turn that off. If you're only seeing iTunes store files, well, I'd say you're not searching the local music library and you're searching the store instead, as mentioned above, click on Music under the Library section on the left of the screen and search again.

In what way is Get Artwork poor? That the covers it returns are of poor quality or that it isn't finding artwork for some of your items? If it's the latter then I think it only searches the store, and it's possible that the song/album isn't in the store (probably the localized version, so that'd be UK) and thus there isn't any artwork in the store for it to use. Not much Apple can do about that really. Even if the song/album is in another localized store that's not their fault, could be geo-rights issues as to why they don't sell it in the UK store and why you cannot get artwork for it.
Its my existing folders of stuff already on the PC

It was the add folder option i used

In the end i resorted to uninstalling itunes, deleting all references to it from progfiles, and reinstalled.

It then did a full search / reinstall of my folders

Cheers for the info re searching, i will have a play later

I managed to improve the artwork issue by using WMP, to look for artwork,

then cutting and pasting the album thumbs /pics from one to the other

bit long winded, but it works

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 18 August 2010 at 11:25 PM.