Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IT job query.....

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2010, 11:05 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IT job query.....

An interesting one.....

Been given the opportunity to do Foundation Degree (and top up to BSC Hons) in ICT.

Covers database design (+systems analysis), SQL, webdesign, also includes CISCO networking.

Question is this -

I'm 37 - got a Management qualification (and a long history in the Music business).
By the time I get this, I'll be 40. Is this a young-man's game - I'd be looking at a networking or database management role.

Is this realistically possible?

Dan
Old 16 July 2010, 11:30 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

In IT it doesn't have to do with age, but with experience. Sounds like a very interesting course.
Old 16 July 2010, 12:21 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Good management skills will outshine the hands on skills.

When I got my current role as a technical manager for a network security company, I had little exposure to IT security, but had been working in IT for 12 years at that point. I've now been in the role for four years now feel I'm "pretty good"!

If you want to learn and keep up for technology, you will be fine, it's sitting back that will catch you out.
Old 17 July 2010, 10:30 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Dan
Not wishing to put you off, but the age thing strikes me as less of an issue here than your previous background. If you're prepared to unleash and befriend your inner geek then go for it, otherwise I'd probably ask if there's anything in particular prompting your move into this area, besides the offer of a course.
Old 17 July 2010, 10:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good question.

The reason being is that I've got a interest in this area anyway, and I've got transferable skills from my current job (management, teaching/training, sound engineering, audio networks)....

I'm looking at the opportunity that if/when I get bored of my current job, I can find something that (a) will give me something to get my teeth into, and (b) afford me a similar if not better wage....

IT management seems a viable route to pursue

Dan
Old 17 July 2010, 11:02 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

The public sector will most likely not be an option due to your age**, purely down to the bulls**t time laws no matter how good you are (unless you are a genius), but private sector will not be a problem and there is more money there anyway.

Your background could help loads, if you go Networking (databasing not my thing), you will still have to be time served and so expect a graduate wage for a few years.

**Do an Msc and/or get on a research team, then entirety possible.
Old 17 July 2010, 11:08 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

What do you know about sound engineering and audio networks? I am not familiar with either, but if you are good, an IT Management role will bore the man **** off you.
Old 18 July 2010, 01:21 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

IT management seems a viable route to pursue
Not to put too fine a point on it, on the tech side of IT where I come from the general feeling is that IT Management is what people end up doing if they're no good at programming or building networks. It's much more purely administrative than the name implies in other words, and not really what I'd call 'teeth sinking into' action. Also, Dedrater is spot-on in pointing out that experience counts for an awful lot if you go down the networking route, so if salary is a major consideration for you that could also be a problem.

Just a thought, but have you looked into other IT areas more directly related to the audio stuff you've done up until now (assuming such things exist)?