Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac gurus

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2010, 08:44 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mac gurus

As my new Macbook will be coming soon what are you thoughts on the upgrade between my two machines.

One option is that I create a bootable backup of my old machine and then load it onto my new machine. It 'seems' as if this would be the easiest as everything goes, including all my loaded software - no messing around with keys etc.

However, will the new Macbook have 'stuff' on it that my old Series I 10.6.3 Mac not have on it. Also will things like Parallels and Windows still work - or is the registration/verification process linked to the CPU?

I could selectively back up my various folders and then uninstall all the good stuff from my old machine and load it up onto my new machine (worried about this as I am not sure I have all the software as some was downloaded and I am sure as hell I don't have all the software keys).

Thoughts welcome
Old 10 May 2010, 09:48 AM
madras
Scooby Regular

Trout,

When you boot up the new mac for the first time it should ask if you wish to transfer files from another machine. Link the two machines together (firewire normally) and hey presto the new machine will be sync'd with all your software, mail account etc etc.

Takes a little while though.

Hope that helps.

madras
Old 10 May 2010, 11:57 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Essentially what Madras said. It's not the quickest process in the world but it will work.

If the software you downloaded is legit and you don't have the keys then you can usually request them from the developer, or from their selling agent. For example, I needed the key for PodWorks the other day, they use esellerate, so you pop in the email you ordered with and they'll order you a complete history, you can then get the order number and pop that into esellerate and it'll show you the serial number info for the downloaded software. Other places have similar setups.
Old 10 May 2010, 01:59 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

dont forget that using the Apple Migration Assistant via firewire, you will need a firewire 800 cable from macbook to macbook. if for some reason the older macbook does not have firewire 800, only 400, then you will need the appropriate belkin cable (400 to 800). Please note that the transfer speed is reduced as it drops to the lowest speed.

You can of course do it via an ethernet cable, though slower
Old 10 May 2010, 02:20 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

So when you say 'all my software' would that include things like Parallels, Win XP, Toast, Thunderbird (my mail client) etc?

Sounds pretty straigtforward.

Also are we suggesting a SuperDuper backup and restore won't work or won't be the best?

Cheers,

Trout
Old 10 May 2010, 02:30 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Thanks guys.

So when you say 'all my software' would that include things like Parallels, Win XP, Toast, Thunderbird (my mail client) etc?

Sounds pretty straigtforward.

Also are we suggesting a SuperDuper backup and restore won't work or won't be the best?

Cheers,

Trout
All software is a fairly good description but not 100% accurate, some does not.
The key thing to remember is that certain apps leave their mark in odd places and not all will allow transferring from library to library. However the ones you mention should be fine apart from Parallels. I cant say for certain that would work, maybe someone else could confirm this. All I do know is that you may need to re-enter your username and passwords for some apps. For instance Entourage always asks for your account password even though it completes the rest of the account info.
Creative suite apps require reactivation online etc

It is a pretty good way to do it, albeit slow as it chucks everything in the right place on the new machine, even to the extent of itunes, iphoto etc
Old 10 May 2010, 09:10 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thanks

I will give it a go and see what happens!
Old 11 May 2010, 12:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Didn't you just post a thread about time machine back ups? When it boots up choose to restore from Time Machine. Job done.
Old 11 May 2010, 06:28 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Didn't you just post a thread about time machine back ups? When it boots up choose to restore from Time Machine. Job done.
I think he mentioned in that thread that his time machine backups were failing. Maybe he is not too keen to trust TM for a restore
Old 11 May 2010, 11:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The other issue which *may* cause problems is any stuff running 32bit vs 64bit.

Yes, it theory it shouldn't be a problem, however, Apple and theory are rather like Windows and usability!!!

Personally, I'd go with the Migration assistant. I too am not overly keen on the (albeit VERY shiny) Time Machine. There's something about a backup that won't verify until you press that "restore" button

Failing that, just do a fresh install of everything - it's nice to get shot of all the built-up cr@p that you don't need, thus keeping a nice shiny and FAST MacBook Pro
That's what I did anyway

dan
Old 11 May 2010, 06:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thanks - if I was going to go the back route I would use SuperDuper as I have used it before and I am very confident it will create a bootable back up that I can then copy back to the hard disk.

However I will see where I get to with Migration Assistant. Still waiting for the box to arrive!
Old 15 May 2010, 12:00 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Well my nice new SHINY SUPERFAST Macbook Pro arrived and I set off with Migration Assistant.

Lacking a Firewire cable with different ends I went with Ethernet. About halfway through it failed saying it had lost the connection. The Apple support advises this might happen and to try again with Firewire or from a TM backup!!! Grrrr!

The main problem I now have is there is 75GB of something on my new machine now and I have no idea how to get rid of it. The MA did not clean up after itself (it said cancelling - complete in 1 minute - for over an hour!!)

I am going to try Migration Assistant from a TM backup.
Old 15 May 2010, 03:16 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If it is not playing ball then simply format the disk usog disk utiliy which should be under One of the menus prob admin or utility when booted from the installer disk. Sorry for incoherence, am a tad drunk whilst posting from and iPhone. Normal service may be resumed tomorrow lol!
Old 15 May 2010, 06:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hmmm! I think I know what you are saying!

I have already started a migrate from TM - will see if it completes properly and tidies things up. If not then I will format, rebuild and start again.

Not quite a seamless and straightforward process!!!

I am guessing MA builds a cache on the new machine with everything in it before installing - so it must be easy to clean up - just a matter of knowing where it is!
Old 15 May 2010, 09:21 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Well I am now reinstalling OSX as I could not find a way to clean up the drive. However the migration using Time Machine was a doddle and pretty fast.

Everything seems to have come across including my Parallels and Win XP virtual machine. There were a couple of fixed IP conflicts and a Computer Naming conflict on the network (two identical XP machines!) but that is easily sorted.

In the end - all good - but it would be simpler if Apple advised up front that the Ethernet migration option is not a good one!!!
Old 15 May 2010, 12:02 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Finished no - excellent machine. The upgrade to the HD antiglare screen was well worth it - superb screen!