Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Norton Ghost and SQL Server recovery

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2002, 03:26 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking into a Disaster Recovery environment, and wonder if something like "Norton Ghost" could be used to get a copy of a database server onto a DR machine?

As far as SQL Server is concerned, I don't think I could just restore the software and data files onto the DR machine with an export of the registry - I'm sure it would involve a total re-installation of the SQL Server software then restoration of the database(s). I know that with Oracle it requires a re-installation as opposed to a restore off a tape.

I've hear of "Ghosting" being used to setup template workstations, but would this work for servers - is there a separate product for servers?

In a DR situation - I may not be available to re-install the software and database, so would have to write up full documentation. Obviously, this ghosting software would be a lot easier to use in this situation?

Forgot to say - this is on NT 4.0 SP6.

Any suggestions? Am I talking bollox? (Probably)

Kevin Mc
Old 26 March 2002, 04:11 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Is it the data you want or a copy of the server with SQL and service packs etc. installed? Ghost fine for the latter - would need to be an identical machine for NT4

btw I quite often copy the data from a live SQL server to a test/development environment - all you do is copy across a SQL backup file (.bak) and restore it into a new empty database, we have to muck about with a few tables but takes next to no time - plus they zip up quite nicely for copying.
Old 26 March 2002, 04:52 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Really the problem bit is the SQL Server software plus service packs and so on - the data itself can be restored relatively easily from the SQL Sever backup (.BAK) file on tape.

It's really just getting the environment onto the new machine - obviously getting just the data itself accross onto another machine with SQL Server already setup would be painless through DTS or via a restore of a .BAK file.

Think I'll give this a try - what did you mean by "identical machine"? Is that a machine with the same RAID arrays, logical drives etc etc. I presume the ghosting process would include the OpSys? (Apologies for the daft questions, though I've never used this software before!)

Thanks for the advice Father_Jack!
Old 26 March 2002, 05:33 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Ghost just grabs the whole partition o/s and all, it doesn't care.
But I think it would be blue screen city if you e.g. took an image of one server and copied it to another unless they were very very similar i.e. bios revisions, firmware versions etc. etc.
I would use ghost to image the machine once built so you can roll-back quickly, but don't think an image of one would work on another that easily.
Old 26 March 2002, 06:02 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

IF (and only IF) you took the database down n times a day and ghosted it, and then reinstalled the image to an IDENTICAL server would you stand a cat in hells chance.....

But what with MAC addresses and such being stored in fields in the master DB for authentication I dont rate your chances really......there are a good few hardware links between SQL Server and it's installation, I would go the "normal" DR route if I were you....sorry to be the bearer of sh1tty tidings.....
Old 27 March 2002, 09:18 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This does sound too dodgy, so I think I will go the standard sort of route, with a normal installation & restore/Db copy.

I was just trying to explore all avenues before deciding what route to take. The DR server will just be one set aside with just an o/s loaded (if that). Doubt very much if this would be identical as the production server is so over the top for a tiny database.

Anyway, thanks all for your help on this. I've had far more response on this query from you lot on the Scooby board in one day than I've had on a SQL Server forum in 2 weeks (no reponse at all actually).

(I think I've found an excuse to be surfing Scoobynet in work hours!)

Thanks again chaps.

Last edited by Kevin Mc; 27 April 2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: ...
Old 27 March 2002, 10:04 AM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

There are also some commercial ways of replicating servers automatically.

Both Veritas and Computer Associates push a real time server replication product which I have used on many sites to great effect.

If you want some help/advice (FOC) give me a shout...

Old 27 March 2002, 10:06 AM
rs
Scooby Regular

Kevin
Try this link,
http://www.gcplc.com/neverfail/server.htm
It isn't specificly for SQL, I have seen it in action and was very impressed. If you want any more info let me know.
Rich
Old 27 March 2002, 10:24 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the further info chaps! I'll take a look.

Kevin Mc