Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL - Which provider, and how to use Wires Only!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2002, 09:48 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, I have decided it is about time I got ADSL installed now, for 2 main reasons. 1. I currently pay £16 a month for AOL, and ADSL is now down to about £25. 2. I need to keep the phoneline free from now on.

So which provider do I go for? I have read the Broadband Vs ADSL thread, but it doesnt have any provider info on.

So who should I be going with? Any experiences on here with BT, Demon, Freeserve etc etc

And what about the Wires Only option? How easy is it to sort the splitter, cables and routing out?

Cheers for any help provided
DW
Old 29 April 2002, 12:13 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

have a look at ADSL Guide it is a very good source of information with a forum for all of the ISP's

I have PIPEX which works out at £23.xx per month, I've had it for 3 months or so and have not had any problems, except for the web servers.

Wires only option is simple, you just need to buy a splitter for each telephone socket you use and either a modem or a router. I just have the alcatel (frog) modem, I bought it from PIPEX when I signed up, it came with 2 splitters.

Stuart
Old 29 April 2002, 12:18 PM
ChrisB

I've only heard good things about Pipex from a few friends as well.

Now, if BT would enable our exchange, I could test it myself. Grrrr.
Old 29 April 2002, 02:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers all

I actually wanted to go the cable route, with a full package from the likes of Telewest - TV, Phone, Cable modem etc but apparently it is not available in my area.

ADSL is the next best thing, and saves me having to pay th £180 for a second BT phone line for the business

Having looked at the ADSLGuide.org site I have done some further comparisons. The ISP coming out on top is Mailbox Internet - anyone used or heard of these? Apparently they have been going since 1992.

DW
Old 29 April 2002, 03:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DW,

If it's for business too, then check with the ISP for business packages. You'll pay more, but you'll get a much better service.

We use Demon here and they have given an excellent service since installed about 2yrs ago.

I've heard a lot of complaints from home users, but their business side has been faultless so far.

The ADSL home package, although cheaper, has a 50:1 contention ratio, whereas the business one is 20:1.

It would have been great for you to have cable, since their's no contention and will soon offer 1Mb and 2Mb links.

Stefan
Old 29 April 2002, 05:07 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

have a look at www.ispreview.co.uk as well.