Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Panaroma BBc 8-30pm tonight, should be interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2010, 04:51 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panorama BBC1 at 8-30pm tonight, should be interesting.

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Panorama, Are the Net Police Coming for You?

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 15 March 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 15 March 2010, 05:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Does this include ****?

If so, they may as well cut me off now.
Old 15 March 2010, 08:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I'm going to take a punt and say it's going to be 30 minutes of scaremongering and they won't mention that the proposed new law to disconnect people who share files illegally will be totally redundant the day it is introduced, as everyone will just move onto VPNs and anonymous proxy's which no one will be able to track.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:56 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Well I was wrong (although a lot of it was scaremongering) they did have a guy who knew what he was on about explain, although very short, that the proposed law will be totally pointless if it goes ahead.

It did also paint the file sharing lot in a good light aswell, quoting that people who share also spend more on music.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Rather an unbiased program really. Seemed to point out that the law is effectively unenforceable.

Can you imagine the court system being completely snarled up with parents being sued for their kids down loading Titchy Stringent or whatever the yoof listen to.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:01 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater

It did also paint the file sharing lot in a good light aswell, quoting that people who share also spend more on music.
I really think that the music industry needs to change the way it works as I can't see the copying and sharing of music ever being stopped. Before the digital revolution we used to tape records borrowed from our friends, then when double tape decks came out we taped tapes, then CDs. Now we just share downloaded files. The only thing that has changed is the accessibility so instead of borrowing your next door neighbour's new record to tape, you can now borrow it from some bloke in Australia, and you don't have to wait for him to get back from work to do it.

I'd like to see if the amount of money spent on music has gone up or down in the last 30 years or so - relatively of course. I don't know about young kids but I still have to physically own a hard copy of an album that I really like. It's just that now I have the option of trying before buying.

In some ways perhaps it encourages music to be better. If it's rubbish no-one is ever going to want to own it. My solution is make better music and get out there and sell it live in concert, sell merchandise and make your money there. Having to perform live should sort the wheat from the chaff which can only be a good thing AFAIC.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:04 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well the message seemed to be you're OK at the moment, here are some good pirate stations to try and the law, if it ever came in, is obsolete the day it starts! So just carry on chaps. Oh and the guy next door is probably using your ISP anyway.

dl
Old 16 March 2010, 05:23 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I really like being able to buy one or two tracks that I really like instead of a whole CD....

But quite like a free film

dunx