Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

*GEEKS NEEDED* Please help, I think my PC is dying!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2010, 06:17 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy *GEEKS NEEDED* Please help, I think my PC is dying!!

Hello my lovely geeky friends

I think my PC may be dying When I boot it up it gets so far then lets out a high pitched screech and everything freezes. I'm running XP (32bit) Home Edition SP3 on a Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20Ghz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Dual Core HD. Probably

It seems to boot into Windows then freezes just before the point when everything starts working normally, sometimes it squeals, other times it just shuts down and restarts.

This is happening every time I start it It's normally second or third time lucky, then it runs OK although can sometimes restart itself for no apparent reason although this is yet to happen whilst I'm sat at the PC.

My AV is ESET Smart Security 4, fully updated.

Cheers

Sal
Old 11 January 2010, 06:35 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

is it 3 or 4 years old? its probably the hard drive

you can buy the same spec on ebay for <- £80, how much is your time worth to mess around fixing it?
Old 11 January 2010, 06:50 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's 3 - 4 years old, time for an upgrade then I think. Pants.

So, Vista or Windows 7??
Old 11 January 2010, 07:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a Macbook, it might cost a bit more now but will save you a bunch in the long run.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:18 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Yeah it's 3 - 4 years old, time for an upgrade then I think. Pants.

So, Vista or Windows 7??
Vote for Windows 7
Old 11 January 2010, 08:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Windows 7 is the dogs.

A very good friend who owns both W7 and Mac, he actually prefers W7! Before it was always Mac.

I have been using the 64bit version for abour a month and it is as stable as anything. I am REALLY impressed with it.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:08 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

when you say screech, does it sound like a mechanical sound or electronic screech?

If it boots and then freezes, it could very well be a cooling problem. Firstly Make sure your CPU fan is spinning.

If the fan is OK, try and put the PC on a table and boot it with the case open and listen for where the sound is coming from. Place your ear near the hard drive and see if the sound comes from there.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:23 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Look in the event logs?

If the machine blue screens and reboots, it normally writes the bsod error to the log. It could just be driver problem?

There is still plenty of life left in your pc I upgraded my machine last year, but my previous pc is still going strong, 8 years old now
Old 12 January 2010, 12:47 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, it's an electronic screech. What the hell are the event logs? I'm not a techy
Old 13 January 2010, 10:24 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I'll do that thanks

Out of interest I've had it running for three days now without shutting it down and it's been fine. I put it into standby mode at night and it works fine. The problem only seems to occur when I boot it up from scratch
Old 13 January 2010, 10:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Recently had to thumble around with some Pentium Ds, it seems due to the speed the CPU fan runs at, the heatsink gets very badly clogged with dust (not evident until you remove the fan). The same happens on fancy graphics cards that have a plastic cover over the heatsink.

My money is on a partially seized fan somewhere and some clogged heatsinks.

Other screech noises could be power supply choke coils (the glue breaks down allowing them to vibrate), this could be an indication that other parts of the powersupply are on their last legs, so when under heavy load (like booting up), it fails to supply a stable voltage.

Other noises could be the hard drive: if this were the case, it wouldn't work at all.

Or DVD drive, however this may/may-not have an effect, but it may cause some systems to hang or fail to boot or post. Worth uplugging it (them, if you have more than one) to rule it out.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 January 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 14 January 2010, 12:16 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

This may sound like a dumb question but what's the best way to remove dust from inside? I don't want to use the hoover in case I suck the entire contents of the case out

There is a fair bit of dust in there but I'm worried that I'll dislodge something important.

Last night it rebooted and got stuck again. A window opened that said it was checking the hard drive. That check also got stuck but after a few attempts this morning I got it to run the hard drive check completely. It didn't tell me anything but did boot up normally afterwards

I know I'm heading towards buying a new machine but I'd like to keep this one going for a bit longer until I've saved enough pennies
Old 14 January 2010, 02:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've always took mine into work and blown it out with the air-line and it comes up like new. Doesn't help you, I know.

Hoover works, just not as well, use the crevice tool. You might need to remove the odd fan to get under the heat sinks though (don't remove the heatsinks, as you'll distrub the thermal compound)