Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best iPhone Sat Nav software?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2010, 03:38 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best iPhone Sat Nav software?

I've used TomTom on previous iPaq devices. Most of my family have TomTom standalone units too and we've always been happy with them.

The iphone implementation seems poor value though. I'm currently looking at navigon, TomTom and Co-Pilot Live. Navigon is ahead at the moment.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
Old 03 January 2010, 04:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've not tried TomTom as yet, but might get round to it I have and do use Navigon and it does seem to be pretty good. Co-Pilot is also meant to be good but as with TT, I've not used it.

The problem I have with the apps is, well, it's not the apps themselves, it's the restriction of the App Store, by this I mean, most people don't provide trial versions of their software. Not surprisingly, nav software is among the most expensive of all the apps out there, thus if you want to try Navigon then you need to buy it, if you then find it crap, or does not suit your needs you need to try and get a refund, which I'm told is possible, but it's a pain in the ****.
The "in app purchase" facility that Apple has recently added might aid this, and allow developers to release free limited trial versions of their apps, and then you use the in app purchase mechanism to buy the app if you actually like it.

The only way round this is to jailbreak the device and then install a cracked version of the app for testing purposes. I'm loathe to suggest this for obvious reasons, but it would at least allow a fuller trial of the software, and if you decide you like X over Y, then delete X and Y from the iPhone and purchase a copy of Y.

I will admit to being naughty and doing the above in regards to Navigon. I had jailbroken my phone just for a giggle, and thought I'd see how easy it was to stick a dodgy app or two onto it, purely from a technically curious viewpoint, and I picked on Navigon for this, mainly as it's a large (≥ 1GB) app, plus I fancied decent SatNav on the iPhone. After using it for a week or so on a couple of trips (routes I knew well, and routes to places I'd never been) I was happy with it and removed the dodgy version and purchased and installed a legal version. I don't feel too bad about doing this as I have paid for the software at the end of the day.
Old 03 January 2010, 04:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

google maps is the best, I have tomtom on mine it it looses GPS that often Ihave to switch to google maps.
Old 03 January 2010, 05:07 PM
prodrive sti 340
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
I've used TomTom on previous iPaq devices. Most of my family have TomTom standalone units too and we've always been happy with them.

The iphone implementation seems poor value though. I'm currently looking at navigon, TomTom and Co-Pilot Live. Navigon is ahead at the moment.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
Hi Jowl,

I have the Copilot software, it brilliant finds gps realy quick, works better on iphone s, i have a stand alone tomtom which ive always been happy with, i tried copilot because of the cost, it even has lane assist which is very helpfull. hope this help.

regards

Mark
Old 03 January 2010, 05:48 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your responses.

The thing that put me off co-pilot was that I read that the routing was poor - but that doesn't seem to be an issue from the people I've 'talked to' who use it.

Think I'll just hang on until Apple annouce the next iphone and see what features that has that may help
Old 03 January 2010, 06:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
google maps is the best, I have tomtom on mine it it looses GPS that often Ihave to switch to google maps.

Googlemaps is ok but it does no provide true turn by turn navigation or realtime route recalculation. If it did do that then I think a lot of peopl would not bother with the other apps
Old 03 January 2010, 07:17 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Co Pilot Live works well for me. No issues with it so far.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:20 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Co-Pilot Live 8by a country mile.

TomTom is getting there, but it is extortionate to buy with the cradle (may as well buy a stand-alone device)

Been using mine (CPL8) for a while. The only frustrating thing in the non-use of iphone keypad (not qwerty!)

Google maps IS turn-by-turn..... but not in the UK (only US)....

Co-Pilot Live 8 - £25. Can't go wrong!

Dan
Old 04 January 2010, 02:40 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Just to check we are on the same page. My idea of turn-by-turn is that it will automatically alert you to the next turn without having to press a button. I know on the Canadian version that the map application does not automatically do this, you have to press the arrow to get it to show you the next turn, not exactly handy, plus dangerous when driving.

I know the google maps app for Android OS does have proper turn by turn, but that obviously won't run on the iPhone.
Old 04 January 2010, 08:20 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I use google maps at the moment but it's only as a map, not turn by turn navigation (with voice). It's very handy - but not when I keep having to stop and look at the map! It also (obviously) uses an internet connection for maps. I don't want my sat nav to do this

And damn you all, now I'm thinking of co-pilot again