Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin broadband - cable modem?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 04:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin broadband - cable modem?

Anyone use Virgin broadband via a cable modem (and is reasonably techy)?

I am trying to understand how it is all configured (for a friend), and the supplied docs and web-site FAQ are pretty much useless

As far as i can tell, the "cable" goes into the modem and ethernet comes out. Booting a PC on the LAN side allocates a DHCP IP address with a subnet of something like 255.255.252.0, so the DHCP server must be up the cable somewhere.

So what if i boot a second PC, and a third etc.? Will Virgin keep offering me IP addresses, or does it somehow lock them down to a given modem (and how)?

I also tried adding a Wireless Access Point (which also acted as a hub), but although the wireless authentication worked, Windows had problems "acquiring an IP address" - so is there only one IP address per modem?

Beardies FAQ simply suggests...

Originally Posted by Big Grin
Can more than one computer use my internet connection?
If you have more than one computer at home, and you'd like them to share the same internet connection, the easiest way is to set up a wireless network in your home. You'll need a wireless router (we'll give you one for free*). Once you're set up, the whole household can get online at the same time - and there's no need for messy cables.

mb
Old 30 December 2009, 05:04 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

not quite sure what your trying to do?

i run mine from the modem to a router (wireless and cable), wired connection to my desktop pc and then wireless to my GF laptop.

are you trying to go through a router?
Old 30 December 2009, 05:04 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

That was how it all worked when I was on cable. 1 IP address per modem (1 per modem mac address)

You will need a router connected to the modem to perform NAT first before hitting you internal network.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:09 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone use Virgin broadband via a cable modem (and is reasonably techy)?
Im no expert buy here goes.
As far as i can tell, the "cable" goes into the modem and ethernet comes out. Booting a PC on the LAN side allocates a DHCP IP address with a subnet of something like 255.255.252.0, so the DHCP server must be up the cable somewhere.
This article may help: Router IP Address - How to Find a Router's IP Address
So what if i boot a second PC, and a third etc.? Will Virgin keep offering me IP addresses, or does it somehow lock them down to a given modem (and how)?
They will all share the same IP as they are all connected through the same modem.

I also tried adding a Wireless Access Point (which also acted as a hub), but although the wireless authentication worked, Windows had problems "acquiring an IP address" - so is there only one IP address per modem?
So your modem is also a wireless router? If so then whatever hardware is trying to connect to it, be is a wii, a lappy or an xbox, the router will need setting up with a password, if it is an open router then anyone in close vicinity can steal your connection.
The hardware connecting to it will use wifi to connect and find yours and others around you automatically.

Last edited by +Doc+; 30 December 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 30 December 2009, 07:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
not quite sure what your trying to do?

i run mine from the modem to a router (wireless and cable), wired connection to my desktop pc and then wireless to my GF laptop.

are you trying to go through a router?
Basically, i want to be able to connect multiple computers (via hardwired Ethernet and wireless) to the Interweb through the Virgin cable connection. Not currently using a router, 'cos it is a modem (provided by Virgin) that provides the cable connectivity.

What kind of router do you use? If the modem outputs via Ethernet, then presumably your router must have two separate Ethernet "subnets" to separate LAN and WAN traffic?

Cheers,

mb
Old 30 December 2009, 07:15 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by HHxx
That was how it all worked when I was on cable. 1 IP address per modem (1 per modem mac address)

You will need a router connected to the modem to perform NAT first before hitting you internal network.
I think that you are correct - one IP address available "per modem", even though the address is allocated directly to the computer getting it's DHCP address over the "ethernet". Thus i will need something to do the NAT side of things - normally using a router, but as mentioned above, tricky to connect via Ethernet on both sides.

Cheers,

mb
Old 30 December 2009, 07:31 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

You just need a cable router which has an ethernet interface for its wan port or a firewall doing the routing etc. The cable router would do exactly what a adsl one does but with an ethernet interface.
Old 30 December 2009, 07:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Im no expert buy here goes.

This article may help: Router IP Address - How to Find a Router's IP Address

They will all share the same IP as they are all connected through the same modem.

So your modem is also a wireless router? If so then whatever hardware is trying to connect to it, be is a wii, a lappy or an xbox, the router will need setting up with a password, if it is an open router then anyone in close vicinity can steal your connection.
The hardware connecting to it will use wifi to connect and find yours and others around you automatically.
Just connecting a computer to the Ethernet output of the modem and booting comes up with a proper DHCP IP address (including Default Gateway etc.) - as if Virgin was connected directly via Ethernet. I'll do a test tomorrow to see whether a second IP address is served when booting a second computer (although it seems unlikely according to HHxx).

The modem is just that, a cable modem - cable, power and (single) Ethernet connections only.

The Wireless Access Point i mentioned is actually an old ADSL Router (D-Link), but configured just to be a WAP (and yup, i have enabled WPA security). As it has a four-port Ethernet hub, it would be a convenient way of connecting three hardwired computers, and indeed it works for a single computer (but probably not for more that one, as only one IP address will be available from Virgin).

Looks like the sensible way forward is to replace the modem with a cable wireless router - why o why couldn't Virgin not simply provide one in the first place

Cheers,

mb
Old 30 December 2009, 07:37 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

One more thing. When/if you go for a router, the modem may not give an ip address to the router immediately as it has already leased one out to your pc etc. Either unrelease it before connecting up you new kit or you have to wait till the lease expires. Could be a day, shorter or longer dependant on what they chose to be the lease time.

In other countries, you can purchase your own cable router that accepts a coax connection, DOCSIS routers, over here Virgin control access/throttling etc via the modem and don't like people playing around
Old 30 December 2009, 07:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

You just need a cable router which has an ethernet interface for its wan port or a firewall doing the routing etc. The cable router would do exactly what a adsl one does but with an ethernet interface.
Aha,

it is starting to make sense now!!!

So a cable router is actually connected to the WAN via Ethernet and not (as i assumed) cable

Time to see if Virgin will come up with the goods, namely "You'll need a wireless router (we'll give you one for free*)."

Cheers,

mb
Old 30 December 2009, 08:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

...the modem may not give an ip address to the router immediately as it has already leased one out to your pc etc.
Good point about lease expiration, thanks for that

As for the modem controlling/throttling things, that would suggest that if you were to connect your own "vanilla" modem, you could have all kinds of fun

Cheers,

mb
Old 30 December 2009, 11:51 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Yep - you need a cable router. Different to an ADSL as you correctly state it will have an ethernet port for the WAN side. Your OP said that they would give you one free, so I would give them a call and ask. I had one FOC when they upgraded me to 50mb. They are only about £30 from ebuyer or similar.

As regards the lease issue, you just need to restart the cable modem after you have moved the ethernet cable to the router.
Old 31 December 2009, 10:18 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

you get a free netgear cable router with the 50Mbit connection. i am currently running via router and gigabit switch between 10 and 12 devices of my cable connection.
Old 31 December 2009, 11:04 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

As has been mentioned - virgin give a wireless router out foc. Connect from cable modem to wireless router (WAN port) with ethernet cable. Connect pcs/laptops to wireless router either via an ethernet cable (it has 4 ports on the back) or via wireless. The wireless router has its own DHCP server inside and handles ip address allocation
Old 01 January 2010, 03:01 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Well i managed to have a play before i got too bladdered last night, and now have the cable router configured and connected to the cable modem with WPA2 wifi enabled (on the router that is ) and everything seems to be working OK (including a playstation).

No thanks to Virgin though, who provide pretty much zilch in the way of documentation and user guides, and who phone helpline is useless for a non-techy (which is why i ended up being involved) and whose 0845 number costs a small fortune when you call in the first place to get the phone line itself working.

But many thanks for all the help above - i have only be "doing computers" for thirty four years, and there is still a lot to learn

Cheers,

mb