Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Did anybody buy Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2009, 03:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anybody buy Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising ?

After preordering this game a while back, Play.com have done me the honours of actually delivering the feckin game to me this morning, it was released about a week ago

What is the point of feckin preordering the damn thing if you get it after everybody else

Anyway, i have not played it yet, but looking at the various message boards, its not looking good

It seams it needs patched all ready (looking at the pc forums)

Hopefully it is not as bad as i suspect !
Old 12 October 2009, 03:39 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Yep I heard pretty bad reports too. I didn't think it was possible to make it buggier than the first Operation Flashpoint.
Old 12 October 2009, 04:13 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

got a good review - has convinced myself to pick it up at some point
Old 12 October 2009, 04:42 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

The reviews I saw, PC Zone gave it 90% and about 250 "users" gave it 60%
Old 12 October 2009, 08:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Damn this is going to take a bit of getting used to
Done the quick 1st mission and around halfway through the second one.
Some faults i have seen already......

I ordered the team into a car, and then ordered them to drive to a located, but the driver crashed into a house and kept trying to drive through it

The graphics are not half as good as i thought they were going to be, some of the textures are a bit sketchy, although i seam to be playing it with an average FPS of 120, maybe they could afford to push the graphics a bit more!

The head bob from the camera gives the impression you are really moving at a reasonable pace, but you don't seam to move about very fast at all, even with the sprint button pressed.

The order system for telling your team what to do feels clumsy and awkward, i heard they left it like this so it is the same as the x360 version, well that's not a good enough excuse, as i am playing with an x360 pad plugged in and it still feels clumsy

The guns feel pretty good, although the enemy seams to either be REALLY good at dodging the bullets, or they have some decent body armour fitted. It seams to take a good few direct hits to even bring them down.

The sound is much better then Arma2.

To be honest, so far, i feel like i either need to get used to it a bit more, or adjust some settings or something as i am not really "feeling it" much.
Old 12 October 2009, 10:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

WOW!

The PS3 version looks like crap!
Lens of Truth Blog Archive Head2Head: Operation Flashpoint – Dragon Rising Analysis : Just telling the truth

Just tried to create an account to try out some multiplayer and it wont let me

Last edited by StickyMicky; 12 October 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 13 October 2009, 02:58 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Some faults i have seen already......

I ordered the team into a car, and then ordered them to drive to a located, but the driver crashed into a house and kept trying to drive through it

That's not a fault, that's AI from Halo School

*Ns04 puts master chief into the back of the warthog on the cannon and lets a marine drive*

"Argh there's two hunters on our 6 get us the F*uck out of here now, Marine" I shout

"Sir, yes sir"

*Marine drives us:
a) off the edge of a cliff
b) between two bolders so we're stuck
c) Just sits there in the driver's seat admiring the view

Whereupon hunters, who do not have AI sponsored by EXIT have a field day!

*Cue game controller leaving room by the nearest window*

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 13 October 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 14 October 2009, 01:55 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Picked this up at the weekend & am really enjoying it at the mo, especially on 4-player co-op. I didn't think the friendly AI was too bad with the driving - although they seem to be slow around obstacles & sometimes pick daft routes they got there in the end.
One of the drawbacks with this is the same as the original OF - you end up trying to aim at about 3 pixels on the horizon. However it does have its redeeming moments, like calling in the arty or using the Javelin to wipe out an APC.
It's worth persevering with though, IMO
Old 15 October 2009, 02:33 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Up to mission 7 now, and while it has some good points, i don't feel it is a very good core game.

The graphics are a bit 2005, the sound is quite good compared with its rivals (ie: arma 2)

I suspect it might be a bit of a better blast on a console with 3 mates, the co-op i have been playing so far has been on the pc, and it seams a bit lifeless.
The multiplayer mode i tried out felt "empty" although i am used to a lot more players so maybe this is why.

I have put 6 hours into DR now, i will probably keep this copy as my local games shop gives really crap prices for PC titles (nobody really buys them anyway lol!) but i don't feel like i will play the campaign any more in the future once it is finished.

Whenever i am playing it, i keep feeling like i should be playing Arma2 instead, it is the superior game (even with its bugs and crap sound) IMHO, as long as you have a machine that will run it properly. DR is pretty good as a console type game, but it is not the baddass tactical fest i thought it was going to be. I think i got suckered into all the hype

Last edited by StickyMicky; 15 October 2009 at 02:34 PM.