Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell laptop Battery/Charging

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2009, 11:09 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dell laptop Battery/Charging

XPS 1530 laptop Power Adaptor is not charging the Battery when turning on laptop warning notice says cannot determine the ac adaptor power output/reseat the adaptor.Had some other issues so decided to reinstall laptop from factory settings,reinstalled all the updates drivers etc from dell website and windows update.Now when turning on the laptop i don't get any warning message but it still not charging the battery so im thinking i need a new one,the laptop is only 9 months old and im sure the battery shouldn't need renewing in that short time,anyone got any suggestions or shall i just buy a new battery or would it be covered under the dell warranty.
Old 01 August 2009, 09:16 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be covered under warranty. Punt your service tag into

Dell System Information / Dell Warranty Extensions & Upgrades / Dell Warranty Status

and check...
Old 01 August 2009, 10:11 PM
slowbloke
Scooby Regular

if not in warranty check out laptopandspares good service and price also check that the
charger is giving out the right voltage for battery
Old 02 August 2009, 11:56 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

It's the the dell power adaptor that came with the laptop,looking on forums it appears that Dell have some issues with power adaptors/batteries going faulty after only a few months and in some cases having to have the motherboard replaced.Had my HP laptop 5yrs and never came across this problem before,so im thinking what this person wrote below on a dell forum may be right and alot of people are saying the same thing,Im still under warranty so im gonna give em a call.

I have had this problem with multiple Dell laptops and multiple adapters. The warning has nothing to do with power adapter issues and everything to do with getting you to buy a brand new adapter from Dell.

I have even taken apart the adapters and done voltage testing. There are many small silver wires creating a jacket around the cable. After a few of them break from bending the cable during NORMAL usage there is a drop in voltage but still PLENTY to run and charge the computer. The whole thing about the CPU running at a slower speed is totally unnecessary and only there to further encourage a new purchase.

The wiring and AC adapter are DESIGNED to fail. I have never had one last longer than about a year. Oh, and if you try to get a non-Dell adapter (universal) it won't work either.
This is basically an engineered weakness causing many AC adapter orders and a borderline scam if you ask me. DONT BUY DELL ANYTHING!
Old 11 August 2009, 09:18 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Thought id give an update and give Dell some browny points.Have to say their technical service is top class.I wasn't really gonna bother to call because thought well id probably just get fobbed off or would take me the rest of the year to even talk to someone(your call is in a que scenario)But no they were great sent me a new ac adaptor,and although that isnt the problem the guy has being trying to contact me for the last week to see how it's going lol spoke to me today.Now decided to send an engineer to my house to replace the motherboard.so the warranty has kinda already paid off....
Old 11 August 2009, 09:30 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

That stuff above is mostly bullsh*t from the forums, certainly in the experience I have had with Dell's

Universal adaptors DO work with Dell laptops, and the AC adapters well ive had them switched on for 5 years continously and they still work fine

And so do the laptops (well I sold 2 recently, but they still work as far as I know)

Im typing this on a Dell ive had for about a year and is still going strong and is one of the ones with the nvidia fooked chipset
Old 11 August 2009, 10:02 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
That stuff above is mostly bullsh*t from the forums, certainly in the experience I have had with Dell's

Universal adaptors DO work with Dell laptops, and the AC adapters well ive had them switched on for 5 years continously and they still work fine

And so do the laptops (well I sold 2 recently, but they still work as far as I know)

Im typing this on a Dell ive had for about a year and is still going strong and is one of the ones with the nvidia fooked chipset
Well ive had this laptop almost a year so ive probably got the same nividia (mine is 8600 gt) Thing is their is loads of post on the forums about these adaptors going faulty,so i just thought it must be that too,and i do know quite a few people with dell laptops and it's always been mainly ok.Come to think of it though a few weeks earlier before i started getting this problem,i did accidently drop the laptop onto a wooden floor with the power lead still plugged in so that probably didn't help.
Old 11 August 2009, 10:22 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

LOL at dropping it

I keep snagging mine, usually stand on the lead when I put the lappy down and it rips out of the back

I havent really heard of anyone with Dell problems tbh I work with Computers, supply them too on occasion but mostly wireless, but all of our customers buy laptops and out of the Dell's that are bought they generally dont fail