Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Installing Windows 7 without a CD drive

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 11:33 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Windows 7 without a CD drive

Hi,
I've just bought an Acer Aspire One A150 to use at work and it comes with Linux. I'd like to install Windows 7 RC on it as i've heard it runs fine for light use but i've no idea how to do this when the Acer doesn't have a disc drive.
I've got the ISO and Key for windows 7, also got a large USB stick so is it just a case of popping the ISO onto the USB stick and booting the Acer from that?
Any alternatives? I don't mind sticking XP on it either but i'm in the same situation as my XP is on a CD.
Any web links or advice greatly appreciated
Old 30 June 2009, 11:58 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I could be wrong, but I thought I read something about Windows 7 being able to boot from USB sticks, something that XP and possibly Vista cannot do (as part of the boot process they unload the USB driver, thus you're in a catch 22 situation).

Just putting the ISO onto the stick won't help much as the BIOS isn't going to go looking inside an ISO file for the OS. You'd need to mount the ISO and then clone that over to the USB stick, ensure it's bootable, then you should, in theory, be able to boot from it.

Have a read of this, see if it is of any use. You would need to do this from a machine running Windows, and looking at the instructions, it probably has to be Vista.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:10 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Thanks all that's exactly what I was after. The Acer arrives tomorrow so i'll be sitting in the garden sorting that out tomorrow afternoon.
I'll post up a photo if I ever manage to get it to work , excellent links from you both thanks
Old 30 June 2009, 01:56 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Are these OK with the linux OS purely for surfing the net of an evening?

Mrs has been bugging me for a while about downstairs net access and these can be had for £150 now at various places, seems like a good price but I can't be arsed having to mess with it, just want plug and play.
Old 01 July 2009, 02:27 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

It just turned up, the Linux seems fine for surfing and emails etc but after years of Windows use it's just not for me.
It does come with Firefox as the browser and seems ok. It's just installing Windows 7 now so fingers crossed. Ta for the help creating a bootable USB
Old 01 July 2009, 04:01 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

All done in less than an hour, only two issues to sort. The function keys for screen brightness and sound volume don't work but i'm sure a little tinkering will have that up and running.
Seems to run faster than the Linux install strangely and everything i've tried so far works great.

Before with Linux

After with Windows 7

Old 01 July 2009, 08:28 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I did the windows updates and now the brightness controls work but still not the volume. Not that fussed as I can easily turn up the volume from the taskbar.
Thanks again for all your help mate, i'm very impressed with this little machine