Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

buying iPhone on Fri - any tips ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2009, 02:22 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying iPhone on Fri - any tips ?

Looking to pick up the new 3GS on friday, but just wanted some clarification on a couple of points:

It IS free isn't it , to collect email and surf within the UK ?

Can you buy some kind of protective coating , to prevent scratches ? Don't want a big ugly case for it.

I travel to the US quite a bit - will I get hammered for email collection and surfing ? I know O2 throw in something called ITS (international traveller service) which discounts calls and data, but I guess costs will STILL be prohibitive regardless.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Yes, free to surf in the UK (within limits that you'll find difficult to exceed using just the iPhone)

I think invisishield (Something like that) is popular. I prefer this: SENA CASES :: APPLE iPHONE 3G ULTRA SLIM POUCH

Don't do it! £5/mb!

Steve
Old 17 June 2009, 02:52 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Yes, free to surf and email in the UK - unlimited use effectively (fair use policy, blah blah)

Cover - I had the same thoughts as you and bought an InvisibleSHIELD (front and back coverage, lifetime warranty, not too tricky to fit, makes it less slippery in the hand)

In the US - I'd probably limit use to email sync once a day or whenever you are in range of a free wifi hotspot (you can disable cellular data when roaming to prevent stupidly high bills) to keep data costs down - rather than having regular polling or push email (which would probably get expensive). Call costs will be higher than from the UK, obviously, but nothing too stupid if you're just using it for the odd "Hello!" here and there - same as with any other mobile and international roaming.

Anyway, my thoughts... good luck with your 3GS...

DN
Old 17 June 2009, 03:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

As you travel a lot you'll enjoy the free Wifi at major UK airports, saves me a fortune. Come back and let us know how you get on with it, I'm having to hold off for a bit.
Old 17 June 2009, 04:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As others have said, you could well get hammered by roaming charges for both voice and data when using it outside of the UK. This is the one reason why it'd be nice if the iPhone was unlocked for any carrier, as you could then pop in a local PAYG sim and not get raped on the roaming charges.

Having said that, I need to find out if you can actually just get a pre-paid sim card here in Canada. When I go to the iPhone I've a handset that I won't be using and want to give it to the future mother-in-law, but I'm not sure if you can get just the sim, have a feeling you still have to buy a phone.
Would not surprise me to be honest, the PAYG over here isn't what I was used to in the UK. If you're not on a specific plan then you HAVE to top up every month, even if you don't use your minutes up, if you fail to use them, you lose them. I'm not quite sure how they get away with this, as in the UK, unless it's changed, it used to be the case that if you didn't use the mins on the phone they would be there forever, well, if you kept the phone on, or at least let it talk to the network every once in a while.
Old 17 June 2009, 04:19 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

You can installed Skype/Fringe for free/low-cost calls if you are on free wi-fi.

I would make sure data roaming is set to 'off' while abroad - I wouldn't want to pay for those roaming data charges
Old 17 June 2009, 04:26 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've requested my PAC code from Orange today so once I've got that I'll be off to buy a 16Gb 3GS. I'll probably opt for a PAYG though cause I'm not a heavy user on a mobile but I do recieve loads of calls and make about 50 texts a month which should be covered by a £10 top up a month. So it works out cheaper for me to go down the PAYG route.

edit. I should add that I haven't got an iPod etc so this'll be my first portable music device since a walkman lol

Last edited by Neanderthal; 17 June 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 18 June 2009, 12:19 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Neanderthal - you dont need your PAC before you go buy an Iphone (or any phone)? You get phone up and give it to them later when you do receive it.

Simon
Old 18 June 2009, 01:02 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I thought that but I'd rather go in armed with everything and just get them to do it there and then rather than mess about waiting on the phone to speak to someone next week. I can wait a few more days... just
Old 18 June 2009, 07:19 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I thought that but I'd rather go in armed with everything and just get them to do it there and then rather than mess about waiting on the phone to speak to someone next week. I can wait a few more days... just
Easy now....
Old 19 June 2009, 12:35 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just ordered mine... in black, they had white in stock as well if that your thing