Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband tax of £6 per year next year?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2009, 01:39 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband tax of £6 per year next year?

Broadband tax of £6 per year to fund rural fibre rollout ? The Register

Currently I'm wondering why I'm paying for this? I guess there is an argument to say that everyone should be entitled to broadband (I guess it's a bit like the PO delivering 1st Class letter everwhere regardless of the location - far off Scottish island for example), but why specifically charge those people that have phone lines and broad band now? Why not just get this from central government to ensure that Britain, as a whole, has a better comms network? IE the whole country pays.

My county council must pay out loads to get the whole of it's literature translated into obscure languages that no one reads. I'd get real pissed off if they said that I was specifically to be charged for English language courses for immigrants, just because I can already speak English (while their council tax was lower because they couldn't).

They think it will disapper into competative pricing - my BB is not much more than £6 anyway (and has been for a few years), no doubt my provider will try and hand most of this onto me. OK it's only £6, but its a significant % of the current price. I doubt very much it will just disappear.

Last edited by Miniman; 17 June 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:50 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

As someone that still has to pay £17 due to my exchange not being LLU?!? I welcome the roll out, however, if it takes them 5 years (extra tax revenue seems to slow councils into doing anything whilst they're coining it in) then I resent having to pay more!
Old 17 June 2009, 02:53 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

yeah will hopefully be a big jump in speed for those of you far from your exchanges. Fibre to the home would be even better............but imagine the extra they'd have you pay then

Hopefully then they will offer VDSL to the house

Last edited by mike1210; 17 June 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:04 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I think anyone dislikes the thought of having to pay yet more tax.

If it means a faster and more stable broadband connection at home (we were pushing the line length limit when broadband launched), there is at least a benefit to be seen from it.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:30 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

£6 from every household (who already has broadband) - what's that 25m x £6 = £150mm

is that really enough money to boost the national broadband infrastructure to help everyone get BB?

the government has no spare cash, but it can see a way to get a little more from us
Old 17 June 2009, 03:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Outrageous! Broadband is already available for all via satellite. If I'm paying for infrastructure then I don't want it used to line shareholders pockets in the future.
Old 17 June 2009, 05:35 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

I also read a comment in the Telegraph suggesting that the 50p could rise in the future...

And what's the betting that a levy introduced to fund this wonderful project doesn't get removed once it's completed.

Simes
Old 17 June 2009, 07:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If I'm going to be paying for Rural Broadband then I want a bit of Rural land in return.
Old 17 June 2009, 08:00 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

+1 for more land I live on an estate that looks like toyland.

It also sucks if you have more than 1 broadband line...
Old 17 June 2009, 08:10 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

This really gets on my **** - I live in the sticks through choice. We have limited access to shops so should the city shoppers be taxed so we can have a supermarket built. There is no bus or train service, should the public transport users be taxed to provide some public transport for me?

If you really cant live without these things move to the city but at your own expense. This wouldn't happen anywhere else apart from the UK.
Old 19 June 2009, 06:58 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
This really gets on my **** - I live in the sticks through choice. We have limited access to shops so should the city shoppers be taxed so we can have a supermarket built. There is no bus or train service, should the public transport users be taxed to provide some public transport for me?

If you really cant live without these things move to the city but at your own expense. This wouldn't happen anywhere else apart from the UK.
You are already heavily subsidised by large urban populations so you can have the services you do get, so what's the difference? Have you any idea what it would cost to provide the services that councils do to small outlying areas?

This is to ensure we have a decent infrastructure over the whole UK, not just country bumpkins like yourself per se There are still urban areas where broadband coverage is not good.

It's not as if the government is taking an extra 10% of your income, it's £6 for God's sake! That's two pints, over the course of a year!!!!

Geezer
Old 22 June 2009, 04:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Geezer, I think tarmac terror was saying that if you live in the sticks, as he does, then you should pay for services yourself ratehr than being subsidised.

That's how I read it anyway.
Old 22 June 2009, 08:26 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
You are already heavily subsidised by large urban populations so you can have the services you do get, so what's the difference? Have you any idea what it would cost to provide the services that councils do to small outlying areas?

This is to ensure we have a decent infrastructure over the whole UK, not just country bumpkins like yourself per se There are still urban areas where broadband coverage is not good.

It's not as if the government is taking an extra 10% of your income, it's £6 for God's sake! That's two pints, over the course of a year!!!!

Geezer
What I was saying was that if you move to the country, you expect things to be different to how they are in the city, pace of life slower, roads less busy, infrastructure less reliable. It comes with the territory.
Old 23 June 2009, 05:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
What I was saying was that if you move to the country, you expect things to be different to how they are in the city, pace of life slower, roads less busy, infrastructure less reliable. It comes with the territory.
Quite, but you do expect to have police, fire service, electricity etc. They are subsidised, so why not broadband?

Geezer
Old 24 June 2009, 08:56 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

My original point is that I realised some things are subsidised, but why not subsidise BB from central government? Why are the users of existing services forced to pay for those without?

Extending your point on fireman, I would not expect to have to pay for fire officers in Cornwall/Scotland to reach a scene of a fire in 5 minutes, just because I live in a town and the fireman can reach me in 5 minutes? So someone says, you live in a town, your cost of fire services will be 50% more because we need to improve those in outlying areas.

Sure it's only £6 but that is about 50% of current competitive BB high street prices! An yes I will regret giving one of my Friday night pints to some people who live on Skye. I don't know them FFS :-)

Last edited by Miniman; 24 June 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:56 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Look, people subsidise other people all the time. You earn loads, you pay more tax than those on low income.

You are paying for people who are unemployed, if you have private health insurance, you are still subsidising those that utilise the NHS. You may only do 2k miles a year, but you still pay the same road tax as someone doing 100k miles a year. This is just how it works.

This really isn't any different. The government have decided that we should have a good infrastructure, and need to raise the money.

Of course, the reality will be very different , but that is the reasoning behind it.

Geezer
Old 24 June 2009, 02:13 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
This really isn't any different. The government have decided that we should have a good infrastructure, and need to raise the money.
This is different in the way it's funded and that is my point. For example...

Can you explain why the people of Croydon aren't paying extra to extend the tram link into my neck of the woods in Surrey? I think they should pay extra just so I can have access to the tram. Heck it's only a couple of miles of extra track and only about £1 on each fare - hardly much. No I do not think central government (or even local government) should pay - I only want those with access to the tram already to pay.
Old 24 June 2009, 04:31 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Well, I do not know the situation of your Tram link extension, so I can't comment on that directly! However, if we are to assume it is a local requirement, or even a county one, then no, the people of Croydon would not be required to subsidise it. If Flintshire CC want to build a new youth club in Mold, then that is purely a matter for them.

This is a national government initiative, to bring the broadband infrstructure up to a certian level. It's quite different.

The only reason people don't like this is because it has been mentioned specifically, and not hidden in the usual way that enables us all to subsidise stuff we wouldn't want our money to go to.

I'm sure you didn't want your tax money to go to fighting Saddam Hussein........

Geezer